Motor installed...one problem

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
My new motor was turned on today, oil/fuel pressure looked fine, water temps are good. The only problem I have is during acceleration. When I go75% throttle, the rpms jump with no acceleration, then drop about 500-1000 rpms and then it accelerates. Is this my clutch slipping? any thoughts?

Charles236

Established Member
I agree with the diagnosis above, but have one more thing to add. If you have an aftermarket firewall clutch adjuster, is there a chance that the setting was accidentally changed during the engine install? If the adjuster is too tight, it will cause the clutch to slip.

01 Venom

Established Member
I agree with the diagnosis above, but have one more thing to add. If you have an aftermarket firewall clutch adjuster, is there a chance that the setting was accidentally changed during the engine install? If the adjuster is too tight, it will cause the clutch to slip.

ahhh +1

def sounds clutch related

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
no new clutch or aftermarket adjuster. the clutch seems to grab at the when the clutch pedal is at the very top, whereas before the new motor it would catch somewhere in the middle. I will try to adjust the cable by pulling up on the clutch pedal.

svtec99

Established Member
i just finished a build myself. i had the exact same problem. I ordered the Fiore quadrant and adjuster from lethal performance. it was 94.00 w/o shipping.

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
yanked on the clutch pedal and heard a click, now it engages like normal and no more slip. yipee

DarkMesa8

4.6 Rookie, 5.0 Pro
Established Member
yanked on the clutch pedal and heard a click, now it engages like normal and no more slip. yipee

Awesome! But consider a temporary fix (even though that isn't the case).

All four of my Mustangs have had their quadrant replaced, and a firewall adjuster put in. The first one I tried an adjustable cable, but it was a piece.

Users who are viewing this thread