MPSS more grip than stock GYs?

adrunk3nh0b0

Established Member
I have heard people say the Michelin Pilot Super Sports have more grip than the stock Goodyears, but how is that if the GYs are extreme performance and the MPSS are max performance? Shouldnt stock be better?

any better options than MPSS for the money? Looking for best grip

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
In what conditions?

This.
Hot pavement, hot rubber, I'm sure the GYs work well.
I thought they were terrible on the street and at the drag strip, the primary uses of MY car.
Need to pick tires for your application.
-J

jason6488

Established Member
if you're loooking for replacements consider the continental extreme contact dws. I have those, much better grip than stock...

einehund

Established Member
I think he may have meant DW's (punctuation is key, here). I have the DW's on mine and they are night and day above the GY, although mine had the GY G1, not the G2 that comes on the '13+

germeezy1

Established Member
The MPSS is the best normal non R comp tire made at this present time. The GYs are crap, and even more crap under 60 degrees. The Continental Extreme Contact are better but they are certainly not even water boys for the MPSS.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Goodyear's are only good in hot weather and in a race track enviroment (road course, HDPE etc. and not really for dragstrip duty IMO).

Michelins are better for all around driving even if the weather is hot or cool.

For street duty I would run on Michelins and when on the road course GY's for me (or when they wear out a real RC tire like Hoosiers or something like that).

GY's are great on the race track once heated up. I ran a set last year @ Mosport and even on the first lap out of the pits I could tell the car wasn't gripping as well but afterwards they stuck like crazy glue the car was very well behaved and planted.

I currently have 2 sets of wheel for my Shelby (OE PP set and base set I bought afterwards), they both have GY tires on them. Plan is to use up the GY on the base set then install Michelins on them to run on the street then using up the GY's on the PP set and putting those wheels away in storage. Base wheels are much easier to clean than the PP ones.

Tony

Ky GT500

Established Member
Goodyear's are only good in hot weather and in a race track enviroment (road course, HDPE etc. and not really for dragstrip duty IMO).

For street duty I would run on Michelins and when on the road course GY's for me (or when they wear out a real RC tire like Hoosiers or something like that).

GY's are great on the race track once heated up. I ran a set last year @ Mosport and even on the first lap out of the pits I could tell the car wasn't gripping as well but afterwards they stuck like crazy glue the car was very well behaved and planted.

Yep, keeping my GY's on till after track day in Charlotte in April. Then MPSS will go on for the summer.

nhs156

Established Member
I have heard people say the Michelin Pilot Super Sports have more grip than the stock Goodyears, but how is that if the GYs are extreme performance and the MPSS are max performance? Shouldnt stock be better?

any better options than MPSS for the money? Looking for best grip

As someone who recently made the switch: the MPSS outperforms the stock GY in every conceivable way possible. I've driven with both tires in the 30s through 70s (hasn't gotten above 80 since I've had the MPSS's put on) and in rain and in the dry, and cannot imagine that the stock GYs would be better when the temps exceed 80 (I say that based on having owned several cars with the MPSS predecessor for many years: the Michelin PS2). The stock GYs are total crap compared to the Michelins. And the only people disagreeing are those that haven't made the switch or haven't tried driving on a set of MPSS.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
As someone who recently made the switch: the MPSS outperforms the stock GY in every conceivable way possible. I've driven with both tires in the 30s through 70s (hasn't gotten above 80 since I've had the MPSS's put on) and in rain and in the dry, and cannot imagine that the stock GYs would be better when the temps exceed 80... The stock GYs are total crap compared to the Michelins...
+1. :beer:

jason6488

Established Member
Hard to belive since that is an all season tire. :??:
dunno what to tell you, 60mph, 2nd gear, mash gas, little screech and up and goes, no traction control intervention at all. Same thing in the good years and its spin city. Ambient temps were upper 50's when I tested the new tires. good years would spin like that easily at all temps.

jason6488

Established Member
Are the DWS rated for the 200MPH top speed?

you have to pay attention to the size of the tire in the dws line, not all are rated at 186, but mine are I think they're 275 40r19 up front and 275 35r20 in the rear. 186 isnt 200, but I have the goodyears in the garage with half their tread if I ever feel like going the extra 14mph

adrunk3nh0b0

Established Member
looking for best grip in the summer****

im getting a second set of wheels for the winter so im looking for a summer tire not an all season tire sorry man

dry summer performance is the priority wet summer is secondary

tires will be used for daily driving

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

I currently have 2 sets of wheel for my Shelby (OE PP set and base set I bought afterwards), they both have GY tires on them. Plan is to use up the GY on the base set then install Michelins on them to run on the street then using up the GY's on the PP set and putting those wheels away in storage. Base wheels are much easier to clean than the PP ones.

Tony

Here's a man who got it right.

As someone who recently made the switch: the MPSS outperforms the stock GY in every conceivable way possible. I've driven with both tires in the 30s through 70s (hasn't gotten above 80 since I've had the MPSS's put on) and in rain and in the dry, and cannot imagine that the stock GYs would be better when the temps exceed 80 (I say that based on having owned several cars with the MPSS predecessor for many years: the Michelin PS2). The stock GYs are total crap compared to the Michelins. And the only people disagreeing are those that haven't made the switch or haven't tried driving on a set of MPSS.

Here's a man who did not.

You haven't even driven the GY on a track (what they're made for) yet you seek to claim the MPSS is is better in "every conceivable way"? :lol1:

germeezy1

Established Member

Most just do not understand just how far behind the Eagle F1 G:2's are in relation to the MPSS. There is a reason there are so many take off sets of the GYs available for sell. A good friend has a GR40 GT500 that has been tracked on the GYs , and he can't wait to switch.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/motor...or-2011-2013-gt500-michelin-pilot-super-sport

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
looking for best grip in the summer****

im getting a second set of wheels for the winter so im looking for a summer tire not an all season tire sorry man

dry summer performance is the priority wet summer is secondary

tires will be used for daily driving

So you want the best summer tires and will be using the stock wheels?
I'd say MPSS, Nitto NT05 or Toyo R888 depending on how aggressive you want to get.

Other option is buy summer wheels to run wider rears and keep the stock wheels for winter?
-J

Users who are viewing this thread