MRT in Commerce Twp, Michigan

dew.man

Established Member
Looking for a local tuner, and found these guys - Mustang Racing Technologies in Commerce Township, Michigan. Claim to have a lot of experience with our cars.

Anyone know anything about them?

TIA!

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Same here...never heard anyone get tuned there or have any work done period.

Bullitt4110

Established Member
I do not know about there tuning, but MRT is owned by Scott Hoag who used to work for Ford and was a played a major roll in the Bullitt and Mach 1 Mustangs. If you go to ethier IMBOC or Mach1registry they will talk very highly of MRT. I do know they do installs.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I have heard of MRT, particularly with Mach1's. I don't know anyone who has been tuned locally by them on their terminator, but I'm sure they tune other mustangs often. Lidio would be my choice though if you need a tune.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I believe Greg Banish does their tuning. Greg used to (or still does) own Detroit Speedworks and also worked for Livernois. He tuned by race car and I was pleased with the results!

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
I believe Greg Banish does their tuning. Greg used to (or still does) own Detroit Speedworks and also worked for Livernois. He tuned by race car and I was pleased with the results!

I would stear clear of Greg's tuning. He has nothing to do with Detroit
Speedworks. Livernois bought it out. Greg no longer work at Livernois.
He's a smart, knowledgable guy...but I wouldn't let him tune a piano.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
unit213 said:
I would stear clear of Greg's tuning. He has nothing to do with Detroit
Speedworks. Livernois bought it out. Greg no longer work at Livernois.
He's a smart, knowledgable guy...but I wouldn't let him tune a piano.

Seriously listen to this. I also have personal experience with him and an Autologic chip tune :nonono: Big trash talker about other shops, he used to rip LMS about using a DJ and then went and worked there, too funny.

You want a nailed tune and you want to drive to it in Michigan, one choice, LIDIO and $600.

You wanna drive a little farther and get a nailed tune, Modular Depot in Cinci.

You want a nailed tune and want it to come to you (email) Jon Lund. Working with him right now on my tune and it is far better than the one I just got from PHP. $415 w/flasher or $100 for two tunes if you have xcal2.

Jon has provided the most dramatic tune feel increase I have experienced and we're talking street feel, not dyno numbers.

dew.man

Established Member
Thanks for all the input!

Between work and family time is kind of hard to come by, so when I found MTR right around the corner from my house, I got pretty excited. But with all this feedback, I'd rather play it safe...

Contact info for Jon Lund? What do you guys think about Amazon?

I would imagine that with any of the "mail-order" tunes I'd still need to verify A/F on a dyno localy, right?

Thanks again!

adamjg2

postban, did you say it costs $600 to get a tune from lidio?!? I recently bought a cobra and would like to get the tune checked (and calibrated for gears) and was trying to decide between php and alternative auto. I already have a chip with tunes, how much would I expect to pay and who do you recommend? I live in Lansing, but have a trailer so i would be willing to drive. Thanks

dougwg

Established Member
dew.man said:

Between work and family time is kind of hard to come by, so when I found MTR right around the corner from my house, I got pretty excited. But with all this feedback, I'd rather play it safe...
Lidio will give you a safe tune that makes great power

no comment

I would imagine that with any of the "mail-order" tunes I'd still need to verify A/F on a dyno localy, right?
Yes

Thanks again!
:)

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
dew.man said:

Thanks again!

Jon Lund email [email protected]

Tunes should be checked for a/f with a wideband O2 regardless if it is on a dyno or on the road. On the road is better because the load on the car/fuel system is actual, dyno is always approximate.

Cheapest way is to find a used xcal2 and pay the $100 to Jon. Take a few datalogs, let him confirm it cool and go from there.

I have one of the most complicated setups going (turbo, return fuel using fpdm but not frps, cams, mach1 intake) and after two logs and a few tweaks the car feels a LOT STRONGER than when I got it a week ago from a well known local tuner.

You guys that are still returnless and eaton are way simpler to get good results.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
gerlacha said:
postban, did you say it costs $600 to get a tune from lidio?!? I recently bought a cobra and would like to get the tune checked (and calibrated for gears) and was trying to decide between php and alternative auto. I already have a chip with tunes, how much would I expect to pay and who do you recommend? I live in Lansing, but have a trailer so i would be willing to drive. Thanks

$600 is for a xcal2 flash tuner, tunes and dyno time.

Go to Alternative or contact Jon Lund.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I had a chip and got a retune from lidio for like $150 including dyno time. That was over a year ago, so not sure about the prices right now, but you should be somewhere in that ballpark.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Lidio did my tune also, made it even more conservative with A/F ratio and timing since I told him I wanted it tuned for HPDE not straight lines.

$600 did not include the SCT tuner.

I learned from Postban's mistakes - I think he's been to every tuner in Michigan.

eficalibrator

Established Member
postban said:
Seriously listen to this. I also have personal experience with him and an Autologic chip tune :nonono:
Admittedly, the Autologic package only had 2 (out of 4 banks) of data available to the calibrator for the YDH0/YDH1/AMZ2 family, which makes proper calibration a little difficult. Unfortunately, this tended to tie the hands of the tuners behind their backs as they searched for ways to work around certain strategies (cat model, injector characteristics, et. al.) with aftermarket tuning. The proper method would have been to do as most do now, using different (more complete) tuning software packages such as SCT to perform the calibration working with instead of against these strategies. I apologize for what was apparently a lackluster tune, as it's sometimes tough being among the first to attempt to make something new work right. It's even tougher when trying to do so with only half the tools one needs.

The most successful aftermarket calibrators now use the latest software to perform the tune using the same approach as the OEM. There is a lot more to good calibration than WOT fuel and spark, even though this is what usually gets compared on forums like this. Lidio, Paul, and Jerry all do great work locally and I have a lot of professional respect for each of their work.

eficalibrator

Established Member
I have nothing to prove to anyone here and refuse to get emotionally involved in any internet banter. Life's to short to sit and argue on the net. I'm sure I wouldn't have the job I have now if I was a terrible calibrator. I'm happy to discuss how and why calibrations work on a technical level, but I doubt this particular thread is the place for it.

dew.man

Established Member
eficalibrator said:
I have nothing to prove to anyone here and refuse to get emotionally involved in any internet banter.

Not trying to stir anything up, but rather find it interesting that someone with your background (and I mean that in a sensere, positive way), would have been a member here since 8/05 without any posts...

On a separate note, how long have you been tuning mustangs (preferrably forced induction), and what would you say are your strenghts?

Users who are viewing this thread