MTV 25 Years Old Today

tvguy

Yes, I know MTV sucks in this day and age and has surely gotten away from "videos". Just makes me feel "old" hearing this. I remember going to my relatives in Columbus, Ohio for a visit in the early 80's and they had cable TV and this so called MTV. I had no clue as to what it was since no cable in Northern Virginia back then and for years to come. But it was cool as hell at the time. Through the early 90's it was OK too I think. Then cable did come to my area (84) and the "rich" places had it first. Life was great watching MTV and playing Atari 2600!! Haha, remember youngins, ALL that you have now started small and grew from there!!! Just wondering if anyone remembers MTV in the EARLY days?? It "was" pretty cool for a decade or so. Just nolstagia tonight hearing that, nothing more. Hope some can relate.
pacotaco

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Mtv was great back in the day. Dr Dre and Ed Lover were funny as hell. Headbangers Ball, Downtown Julie Brown etc...

iirc, "Video Killed the Radio Star" was the first video ever played on Mtv in 1981(?).

tvguy

svt4stv said:
Mtv was great back in the day. Dr Dre and Ed Lover were funny as hell. Headbangers Ball, Downtown Julie Brown etc...

iirc, "Video Killed the Radio Star" was the first video ever played on Mtv in 1981(?).

I'm glad someone remembers the "good old days" of MTV. I know there are a lot of young people on this forum that only know what it is today. That's too bad.
pacotaco

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
Whats funny is that they started MTV2 to play JUST videos because of all the shows on MTV, and now MTV2 is full of bs shows.

I stick to the news or the playboy channel now...

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
Well, since I'm 25 years old as well, I literally grew up with MTV and remember it through all it's stages. When I first started watching it, in the late 80's, I remember it was all hair bands and that corny New Jack Swing hip hop shit. And oh yes, Headbangers Ball with Rachman. Julie Brown, young Kurt Loder, the dawn of Beavis and Butthead, The Head, Speed Racer, 120 minutes, (is that still on), liquid Television, Yo MTV raps. And then of course the downfall of MTV with it's sickening turntowards reality TV and spring break dance parties. I honestly havn't even glanced at MTV since I was probably 17. Oh well, I really don't fear I'm missing too much.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
I used to love Headbangers ball!!!! :( I haven't watched MTV in like 9 or ten years!! Beavis and butthead is still one of my fav shows

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
What was that show that Jenny McCarthy got started out on? It was some kind of dating game. I just remember being like 14 and drooling over her body.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
First few years of MTV, they wouldnt play any black entertainers whatsoever.

Mind you, MTV back then was NOT run by right winged fundies or the GOP.

Hmmm, liberal racism perhaps?

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
They had to use Debbie Harry to introduce rap to the young eyes and ears that witnessed MTV in it's infancy. Then they loosened up and started dedicating entire hours to nothing but old school hip hop. Fat Boys, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. Those were the days. lol

trance_in_miami

Established Member
.. they are now trying to capture the young ones... I think its cool.. but MTV is IMO one channel that really has evolved from Music television to Reality Television. & from the cool rugged rock star channel to the ostentatious/ stupid Rap star channel… & not to mention on how they like too “ keep it real” in the real World… yet they embrace Stupid figures like The Hilton sister & more. … which are irrelevant to what Music Television is about. JMO ...

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I remember music videos only and just a few announcements. It has really turned into shit.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
Very few of the rock stars on MTV through the years could be considered rugged. Unless you consider groups like Flock Of Seagulls and Poison rugged. It really wasn't until grunge came around that the bullshit arena rock and hair groups went away. Then grunge itself was capitolized and turned into a caricature of itself. MTV has really always been about BS, and it's probably easy to argue that it's at fault for modern music's lack of creativity.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I just want to know why the people in the real world cant have a faucking PS2 or xbox. Seriously, wtf?!!?

Actually i just wanted to say fauck the new MTV. Its annoying.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Damn, another reminder that I am getting old. I was about 4 or 5 when I started seeing MTV, it was still brand new back then. I remember watching Twisted Sister and this cool guy with makeup talking about how he is not going to take it. I was like hell no I am in kindergarten and I am not gonna take it either. Down with the man. Screw this Hot Lunch cafeteria crap, I am going on recess now I'm 5 years old and I don't have to take this.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
I'm 21, and used to watch MTV all the time around 4th to 8th grade. Then it all went to shit and I honestly haven't watched it at all - not even once - since then.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
Well, since I'm 25 years old as well, I literally grew up with MTV and remember it through all it's stages. And oh yes, Headbangers Ball with Rachman. .

....The "Ball's" first host was Adam Curry or whatever the goofy tall guy with wavy brown hair was... He bought the MTV.com domain when the net was 1starting up... I guess he's not laughing now.

...then they tried to replace HBall with "SupeRock" that sucked...

poor MTV...:kaboom:

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
OH shit man, he was the tall rock star wannabe with long reddish girly hair wasn't he? Man I do remember him.

Users who are viewing this thread