Muhammid Ali, another legend gone.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Love him or hate him, he was the greatest of his time. I was always dismayed at his not being able to fully enjoy his later years.

oldmodman

Established Member
One of the top three fighters of all time, for sure. Before you ask I will name only one of the other two, Jack Dempsey.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
RIP Muhammad Ali

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/muhammad-ali--simply--the-greatest---dead-at-74-042902069.html

Muhammad Ali, the eloquent, colorful, controversial and brilliant three-time heavyweight boxing champion who was known as much for his social conscience and staunch opposition to the Vietnam War as for his dazzling boxing skills, died Friday.

Ali, who had a long battle with Parkinson's disease, was taken to a Phoenix area hospital earlier this week where he was being treated for a respiratory issue. He was 74.

Once the most outrageous trash talker in sports, he was largely muted for the last quarter century of his life, quieted by a battle with Parkinson's.

Born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr. on Jan. 17, 1942, in Louisville, Ky., Ali learned to box after his bicycle was stolen when he was 12 years old. When young Clay vowed to "whoop the behind" of the thief, a local police officer encouraged him to learn to box to channel his energy.

He would go on to become known as "The Greatest," and at his peak in the 1970s was among the most recognizable faces on Earth.

He was known for his tendency to recite poems while making predictions about his fights – "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. The hands can't hit what the eyes can't see." – as well as for giving opponents often unflattering nicknames. He referred to Sonny Liston as "the big ugly bear," George Chuvalo as "The Washerwoman," Floyd Patterson as "The Rabbit" and Earnie Shavers as "The Acorn."

But his most controversial, and some would say cruel, nicknames were reserved for his fiercest rival, Joe Frazier. He first dubbed Frazier "Uncle Tom" and then later called him "The Gorilla."

Last edited:

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
I remember going down to the forum to watch the fights on closed circuit TV, for you younger guys that was the only way you could watch the fight before cable. Unless you were there Lol.

IA Shelby

Established Member
He was a cultural icon.

I respected his talent but never could support his verbal attack on Joe Frazier calling him an uncle tom. That was sad.

dom418

Established Member
He was one of the greatest boxers of all time but I was not a fan of him as a person. Also many are calling him the athlete of the century, which is a stretch.

RIP

GreggsSVT

Established Member
He was a true legend. The guy has a lot of heart. You just don't see that anymore in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread