My GT350R Initial Impressions

CO Mack

Established Member
I told many friends I thought there were going to be more than a few GT500 owners that ended up very disappointed buyers of GT350s.

Try the steering on "Comfort", I don't like the heavier modes either; I agree they feel like contrived weight rather than just less assist for more feel. I usually run mine in sport with the dampers on normal and the steering on comfort. I love that Ford lets us separate all that in the GT350.

EDIT- as far as it following grooves and wandering going down the road, they all do that. They chose a suspension geometry in the car that is fully committed to handling. If it really bothers you, you might be able to get it out with a change in alignment specs.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I asked for weights and you give me speculation. That's cool, reality is you don't know.

What "speculation" did I give you? My GT500 weighs less than my GT350R, period. There's nothing to speculate. You asked for corner weights. I don't know. Why would corner weight matter in the context of my GT500 being lighter than my GT350R?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I told many friends I thought there were going to be more than a few GT500 owners that ended up very disappointed buyers of GT350s.

Try the steering on "Comfort", I don't like the heavier modes either; I agree they feel like contrived weight rather than just less assist for more feel. I usually run mine in sport with the dampers on normal and the steering on comfort. I love that Ford lets us separate all that in the GT350.

EDIT- as far as it following grooves and wandering going down the road, they all do that. They chose a suspension geometry in the car that is fully committed to handling. If it really bothers you, you might be able to get it out with a change in alignment specs.

Yeah, I think I will leave the steering in Comfort mode permanently. I'll probably leave the suspension in Normal more often than not. I'll leave traction control on until I've had enough seat time in it to get used to its quirks.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
What "speculation" did I give you? My GT500 weighs less than my GT350R, period. There's nothing to speculate. You asked for corner weights. I don't know. Why would corner weight matter in the context of my GT500 being lighter than my GT350R?

I asked for the weight of your gt500. You did not reply with the weight. Four corner weight is important for track/handling set up.
With all your mods I firgured you would have the weight of your car.

Zemedici

Established Member
I asked for the weight of your gt500. You did not reply with the weight. Four corner weight is important for track/handling set up.
With all your mods I firgured you would have the weight of your car.

i'm lost too...he told you a weight on his GT500....?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Apparently that wasn't good enough. He must want the weight down to the last ounce.

Voltwings

Established Member

It's not the alignment, its the width of the tires.

Also, as far as the weight; to be fair, just taking the advertised weight and subtracting what you have removed is not quite the same as actually weighing it. Just playing Devil's advocate here. I threw my 5.0 on the scales after just rims and exhaust and it was a good bit off from what it "should" have been.
I'd also be interested in seeing the weight distribution personally. Nothing against one car or the other, but i'd almost be willing to bet, even with all the weight you have taken off the nose the GT500 is still heavier on the nose but I really don't know. At any rate, carry on.

Zemedici

Established Member
Apparently that wasn't good enough. He must want the weight down to the last ounce.

apparently, I dont know many guys on here aside from the SERIOUS drag racers that know their car's GVW down to ~50lbs....your answer seemed satisfactory to me :rolleyes: hahaha

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
He never asked for that. But to claim a weight but then concede it's just a guesstimate is completely different. CAT scales are easy to find, I'm surprised OP hasn't just weighed the car already too.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
lol at the butt hurt.

Guy buys a car that cost damn near $100k and is critical of it based on what appear to be fair and conclusive opinions.

Other $100k GT350 owners flip shit because they fear they just wasted $100k in the eyes of others.

Who gives a crap.

Fact is a fraction of a percent of the people who buy GT350's either have the ability to push the car to ITS limits or even plan to track it at all. They likely bought it because it was novel. Novelty eventually wears off.

Thread summary: If you like straight line speed and power like then buy a used GT500.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Congrats OP
I had a '16 GT350 TP on order and ended up deciding to cancel it and keep my Boss and pick up a more fun DD. I drove a tech pack 16 350 and was honestly somewhat disappointed. No question these cars are very capable on track though. I hope you find a happy place with your new R.

Zemedici

Established Member
When?

He said it started out at 38xx and then he thinks/knows he's took 200lbs off.

Ok so do you want me to get you a calculator? 3850-200=3650, give or take 50lbs. He drives it on the street, who truly gives a **** about the exact weight? Honestly.

Voltwings

Established Member
Ok so do you want me to get you a calculator? 3850-200=3650, give or take 50lbs. He drives it on the street, who truly gives a **** about the exact weight? Honestly.

For the sake of discussion; the cross weight, when comparing the handling of two vehicles, will tell you more than the outright weight. Also, 50 lbs is kind of a lot to be off when you're claiming the cars are within 100-200 lbs of each other if you think about it. Not looking to argue with anyone here, just my point of view, it's something i'm interested in as well since we're on the topic.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

He made an assumption on the weight of his car and is presenting it as fact. He did not weigh it nor did he weigh the new parts on and the old part coming off his car.
Yes he has made a lot of changes to his car. Taking 200lbs off of a car is a lot harder than most believe.

I originally posted in this thread because thing positive he had to say about his new 100k car was about the tires. That's funny!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jesus Christ. Don't be such an asshole. Who gives a flying ****. He bought a car, he can criticize whatever he wants.

I had a GT350 for 3 days, and have been criticizing it ever since. I didn't necessarily care for it either.

Sometimes this forum reminds me of a bunch of grown men who are trying to do a size comparison.

I can remember SEVERAL threads that when a car came out and they released specs, people would criticize and guesstimate on how poorly it would perform, etc....OP bought one, drove it, and is giving his opinion.

I like my 14 GT500 better than my 16 GT350, and it was in stock forum. In no way would I like a GT350R more than OPs GT500.

Get off your high ******* horse, relax and move along.

/end rant.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! I can't find your original thread, but am I doing the math right? The dealer marked it up by $23K? :eek:

You'll have to do a video for us at some point. You're going to love that road beast in the spring and summer. Any plans on doing any road course races?

Users who are viewing this thread