Need a few answers on statute of limitations

assasyn

Established Member
I got a seat belt ticket and expired insurance ticket (didn't have the current one on me) over 7 years ago in college. I got the ticket in Austin and the next week I moved back to Houston. I completely forgot about the ticket. Got a job moved into a house, had kids, blah blah blah.

I was notified that I had a warrant for FTA for both tickets. I have no problem with paying the FTA and the fines for reinstating my DL, but are the actual citations still valid from over 7 years ago?

The court (TRAVIS COUNTY) wants me to bond out and and pay $1300. That amount covers both FTA and both citations.

I should be able to just pay the FTA and court costs if I read the law correctly?

Machdup1

Established Member
I got a seat belt ticket and expired insurance ticket (didn't have the current one on me) over 7 years ago in college. I got the ticket in Austin and the next week I moved back to Houston. I completely forgot about the ticket. Got a job moved into a house, had kids, blah blah blah.

I was notified that I had a warrant for FTA for both tickets. I have no problem with paying the FTA and the fines for reinstating my DL, but are the actual citations still valid from over 7 years ago?

The court (TRAVIS COUNTY) wants me to bond out and and pay $1300. That amount covers both FTA and both citations.

I should be able to just pay the FTA and court costs if I read the law correctly?

They attempted to prosecute you and you didn't show up for court. The complaint was filed and SOL no longer applies.

Now SOL has a much different meaning.

Lawyer up.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I do not know about the seatbelt ticket. I had a similar experience with a FTA on a no insurance ticket that went about 4 or 5 years because I forgot about it. later while I was in Iraq I tried to renew my license and they wouldn't let me do it over the internet due to the ticket. I had to let it go until I got home on vacation. Since I knew it was an issue I called my insurance and got proof that during the time in question I did indeed have insurance. The clerk cleared it and I had to pay a minimal fee to get things straightened out.

the seatbelt may be a little more complicated.

I would call the clerk of the court, explain that you have moved and want to get it straight and follow their advice.

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
As far as I know, statute of limitations only has to do with the time between when the crime/infraction was committed and when you can be charged for it. Once you are charged with something, it doesn't simply go away.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
"IF" Texas were like here in NC you can contact the DA best done in person (be prepared to post bond which you will get back on the court date if you pay it yourself) be prepared to spen thi night in jail if you are not met with assistance minded people. NC has a form you get from the clerk of court then take to the DA get him to sign it then you will have to get a Judge to sign it same building most times. That form gets your case put back on the docet and recalls the FTA go to court on your court date prove you did have insurance on date of ticket should get dropped then you will be found guilty on the seat belt ticket or just plead guilty pay that and save all the access penalty fees. Dont know about Texas but I was able to figure all this out online and then with a few phone calls. went smooth dot minimum cost for my son :) most will help it is all just about the money

hb712

Established Member
Once an action/complaint has been filed, the clock on the statute of limitations stops running. You should consult an attorney immediately because you appear to be facing misdemeanor charges that you really don't want on your record. As far as finding an attorney, I would suggest you look to the State Bar of Texas, which should have a list of attorney referral services.

jshen

Established Member
Sol

The filing of a complaint does NOT toll the SOL but the state sitting on it does. In your case, court date was set and you weren't there- That's totally different as warrant was issued so you are put into NCIC computer until you show up. Now having said all the bad stuff- this stuff happens all the time and folks got more to do than put you in jail- Call the clerk of the court as suggested above and I am sure you can handle it by paying fine. I've handled a "few" of these cases...they just want your money...and proof of insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread