Need Advice from Whipple/KB Guys

Cooter9250

Established Member
That's how i feel as well. I would be more than happy (at this point) to install the fuel upgrades and the 2.9 runing 15-17 psi and getting 575-625 rwhp on 91 octane.

Last edited:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
If you end up doing a pprv delete or install the twin gt pumps instead, get a frps disc to prevent a headache later. They are cheap and very easy to install.

Satyr

Established Member
As far as the single-blade TB goes, I am pretty sure the dragon is still not compatible with the IAC placement on the TS blowers. I know that last year when I bought my first Whipple, they were not.
Also, I would not worry about upgrading the brakes aside from getting a good pad (unless you are coursing the car). Bushings would be a great addition, if you've got the dough. Definitely spring for the IRS brace, subframe connectors and a tune from a reputable shop.

Last edited:

Cooter9250

Established Member
I appreciate everyones help and i think i have decided the route i plan to take. Please let me know if i have forgotten something or if there are additional suggestions. At this point i plan to stay returnless and use a BAP. If i want to move to a return style system in the future, the only part i really won't need is the BAP, correct?

Already have:

Afco H/E
O/R x pipe
Catback
Jlt CAI
Hans Subframes
X-cal II

To Be purchased:

Whipple 2.9
TB
Mafia
80's
BAP
IRS brace
NGK plugs

Do i need?:

PPRV delete
frps disc
cooling mod
thermostat
oil separator
wiring upgrade kit

Last edited:

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
You do need PPRV delete as soon as you install 60# or larger injectors.

You do need FRPS Disc as soon as you Delete PPRV

Cooling mod is debatable

Thermostat yes

Oil separator is debatable I would say yes or might as well.

Not sure what you have for gauges but I recommend Fuel Pressure, Wideband, and Boost at a minimum.

Last edited:

SneakySnake23

Representing Winnipeg Mb
Established Member
IMO the Mafia is a cheap bandaid. I went with a SCT BA2600 once we realized the Mafia was malfunctioning. Looks nice to boot!

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
To Be purchased:

Whipple 2.9
TB
Mafia
80's
BAP
IRS brace
NGK plugs

Good choice in mods! :rockon:

Do i need?:

PPRV delete
frps disc
cooling mod
thermostat
oil separator

All of the above are not "required". I don't have any of those mods. Granted,
my mod list differs from yours, but I don't need them at my power level. The FRPS disc
is a preventative mod, not a necessity.

Don't forget about a clutch/flywheel. You'll need that at some point.

fireman02

Established Member
I made 605hp & 560tq with my 2.3 whipple @ 17.5lbs on 93oct. My mods are below along with kenne bell BAP, Mafia, PPRV delete, NGK plugs, 60lb injectors. I do not have a cooling mod or the oil seperator. I planned on having them done, but the shop I use told me not to bother. I'm having Lt's, prochamber, and mac catback put on and getting retuned in a couple weeks to see what i pick up with these mods.

Mystic03

Established Member
Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying a 2.6 KB. It'll make good power, but you'd might as well buy either a 2.9L Whipple or a 2.8H KB so you have room to grow if you should choose to. People will tell you that you really need to spin these blowers hard, but you can run moderate boost and make plenty of power...and you have more blower left if you want to turn up the boost. Make sure you get a blower with a plenum designed for a single blade throttle body.

**Before the 2.3L Whipple guys get upset - they are great blowers. No doubt about that.**

Here's a mod list of the basics that you'll need (realistically):

Fuel Mods

- 80lb injectors (60's are plenty, but 80's are cheap and easy to tune - room to grow)
- Boost-a-pump

Exhuast Mods

- Stock manifolds are fine for 620rwhp and less (IMO)
- You'll need an x-pipe (brand of your choice).
- You'll need a catback (brand of your choice).

Intake Mods

- Throttle body - get a good single blade throttle body (i.e. Dragon TB).
- JLT CAI (or another brand of your choice / JLT is a quality kit that looks good).

Drivetrain / Misc Mods

- IRS brace from Doug @ Billetflow
- Clutch of your choice
- Clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster (use the search button for tech info)
- Gear shifter (MGW or shifter or your choice) - not required, but you'll thank me.
- SCT MAF or MAFia (you can run the stock MAF, but it will be pegged. You can tune around it...but BAD idea).

Tires

- Depends what you want to do with your car.
- Drag radials for dry weather (search button for details on tires)

Spark Plugs

- You'll need NGK TR6's gapped to about 0.032 (other plugs are fine too - search)

Pulleys / Belt

- Either Metco or Billetflow idler pulleys
- Gates or Gatorback belt (your choice - search for the size)

You can slap a blower on and you'll have yourself a dyno queen...or you can do some more mods and build a car that can actually run a number.
People tend to think that you can install a twin screw and you're automatically making 600+rwhp for $3K. Those people couldn't be more wrong.

60#, twin gt pumps fore hat,modded fpdm, FIPK,exhaust and im at 622 17* @17lbs...and all cost me about 2900 :rolling:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
80s are only needed if you plan to go over 650ish rwhp one day .. 60s will support your goals all day long

Last edited:

Cooter9250

Established Member
I know the 80's are overkill at this point but i would rather not buy stuff twice. My current goals will easily be achieved with 60's but i may want to bump things up in the future. Are there any disadvantages to running 80's with the setup i intend to run at this point (15-17 psi on pump gas)?

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
most will say no ... im a believer that going too large will lessen the efficiency .. otherwise we should all just get 120# injectors and call it a day for all setups, aggressive or mild ones

p.s. ... you will more than likely wanna grow one day ... 600rwhp is a beast of a car but you will always want more, when you get used to the power....

Cooter9250

Established Member
Well it has been a long time since i posted this thread originally but i thought i would give you guys an update. I got married and bought a house that i just finished renovating. Neadless to say, this project was put on the back burner for a while. All that is done and i have just purchased the following;

Whipple 2.9
Accufab tb
SCT BA-3000
Lethal budget return fuel system
80 lb siemens deka injectors
NGK TR6 plugs
Thermostat

It will be a couple weeks before the blower gets to my door but i will update the thread as i make progress.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cooter9250

Established Member
Well, It has been another "long time" since i have posted here. This absence was due to due my daughter being born and all that comes with that. However, the car has long been finished (for the time being) and i figured i would update you guys on the results. All of the items in my previous post were installed and i had the car tuned by Manny at HPP. The only change i made was installing different pumps so i could run E-85. The pump gas and E-85 pulls are shown below. Both are using the stock 3.5" pulley. I was quite pleased with the results. I want to thank everyone in this thread for all the help along the way! I also want to say that i was extremely impressed with Manny and all the guys at HPP. They went out of their way to answer questions and help me make decisions based on my goals. Most importantly (to me) Manny did a wonderful job on the tune. I told him that long term durability was more important to me than a few extra horsepower and that is exactly what i got.

i just realized that the pic is hard to read...
pump gas - 598/479
E-85 - 671/536

dyno.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread