Need an opinion on a laptop,

Thump_rrr

Established Member
All depends, what will you be doing with it?
General home use such as web surfing, email, photos, home video editing etc.

The specs up top say 3GB Memory and 250GB HD but it is actually 4GB Memory and 320GB HD

Last edited:

unforgiven

Humble
Established Member
I am using a Satellite myself. I have never had one problem with it and paid 729.99 US for it. The one you are looking at seems to have more memory and a bigger HD though.

Dell has a sale this month and I will be picking up a Studio 15 for 649.00 as a back up to this one.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I am using a Satellite myself. I have never had one problem with it and paid 729.99 US for it. The one you are looking at seems to have more memory and a bigger HD though.

Dell has a sale this month and I will be picking up a Studio 15 for 649.00 as a back up to this one.
I currently own 2 Dell Inspirons 1 3 year old which will be my backup and a 6 year old who's hard drive burnt 2 weeks ago and is now junk.
I priced a studio 17 with comparable specs to the Toshiba but with a slightly faster processor and there was a $400 difference between them even after the Dell $250 rebate.

I really wasn't looking to buy a computer but it seems to be a pretty good deal.

jshen

Established Member
I have both a 14.1 inch screen Dell and a 17....The 14.1 is extremely portable...the 17 is cumbersom. The processors in your model are too slow for me..If you are going to have it a while I suggest dual T9500s and at least 4 gig ram as today's applications take more. Lastly, I would opt for Windows XP rather than Vista...as Vista is being replaced soon.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I have both a 14.1 inch screen Dell and a 17....The 14.1 is extremely portable...the 17 is cumbersom. The processors in your model are too slow for me..If you are going to have it a while I suggest dual T9500s and at least 4 gig ram as today's applications take more. Lastly, I would opt for Windows XP rather than Vista...as Vista is being replaced soon.
Thanks,

It does have 4 gigs of ram

I have a retail version of Windows XP which I was using for the burnt computer.
I may try to make the new one computer a dual boot setup if there are XP drivers available for all the hardware.

As far as portability goes It moves from the armrest of the couch to the desk once in a while LOL.

jshen

Established Member
The 14.1 I take to court with me and specifically bought it configured to run at 9 applications at one time...Lexis law on the web, Corel, videos for evidence presentation etc...and never had a bit of problems...except I have to wear glasses for the small font :dw:..something that was not an issue with the 17..Good Luck

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
For what your doing, that laptop seems to have appropriate specs and is very decently priced. If your going to get Vista, stepping up to 4GB is always a good idea, moreso since you want to edit video.

Doing any type of video editing ( especially if you have an HD source/Cam), you'll want to have LOTS of HD space which is fairly cheap nowadays. I'd make sure to have a space to store your final cut footage off the laptop.

FYI : depending on the specific P300 model, there are "some" XP drivers.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Seems like the system you're looking at would take care of your needs. 4gb ram would be plenty, and all applications that are even halfway common are vista compatible. There's no reason to take a step back to get xp just because you've heard ppl say it sucks. You'll get used to it in a week and won't wanna go back to xp.

Users who are viewing this thread