Need grippier tires

Corepuncher

Established Member
I have Pilot Super Sports on my 2011 GT500/TVS. 20" rims. I was hoping that when it got hot out that they would grip good, but alas it seems these tires are no match for 630 rwhp.

They seem to grip very well around corners, but even in 2nd gear it's like ice when I hit the power band. I have to get to 3rd gear before I get good traction.

I assume smaller rims and larger profile tires would help, but I'm not sure I want to do that. So barring that, would I be happier with another brand, if so, which one? Thanks!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Everybody loves the R888 even in larger sizes with a tiny sidewall though I have no experience with them. If it was me at that power level I would run a 15 with a big sidewall or first and second will be useless. If your set on a 20 NTO5r and 555r would be a better summer tire than what your running now.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I love my Nitto Drag Radials. They wear pretty slow for a drag radial and they hook plenty for me. Then again, I don't ask a drag radial to do what a slick does on the track then get me 15k miles on the street. As long as the Nitto's get me 1.7x-1.80 60' times and still last 10k miles; I'm thrilled. 1st and 2nd are far from useless on a well prepped track with a descent driver behind the wheel and a good set of DR's out back.

I can throw the car into a turn and climb out of one just has hard without any fear of torching the tires with the Nitto DR's as well. I'm not a road racer by any definition of the term, but I do enjoy a spirited drive from time to time.

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the top rated tire among Porsche enthusiasts, all the GT3/911 owners swear by them.

But on a Shelby you've got some serious power. I had success with Nitto 555 with 305's out back and 600rwhp but in the rain you are a dead man, i don't like the dangerous feel when you get caught in a sudden rainstorm.

Griggs Racing recommends the Toyo R888's, that's what i'll be going with when I return from my deployment. They run real wide too. I plan on getting a pair of 315's out back.

Corepuncher

Established Member
I've got 295's in the rear. I tried 315's but they were too wide, fenders rubbed every time I hit a bump or a dip. The 295's seem perfect...unfortunately, they are the "Ferrari" spec tires and most expensive.

I definitely like the wet traction in the rain. I drive confident when it's wet...I guess that is a big plus of the Michelins.

Para81

Established Member
Yah they are great in the rain. I had a set of Michelin PS2's with 295 on my 911 C2S and I would dust most cars on the road through the rain no issues and actually fun in the wet.

500 bucks a pop though damn expensive.

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I run 275/315 Nitto Invo's. Great grippy tire, and even better in the rain. I have no fear of rain with these on. I'm sitting somewhere in the high 5's for RWHP (Have not dyno'ed yet) Even at the track I have cut a 2.0 60ft with them.

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Those r888s can be run on all 4 corners? Unlike the 555r?
And they perform well in the rain?

I have the 555r now but fear getting caught in a downpour (standing water). They will probably be tapped out by the end of this driving season.

It seems one has to give up some dry traction to get a tire that performs decent in the rain. My 555rs are not bad on damp pavement, but I would not want to deal with puddles.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
It seems one has to give up some dry traction to get a tire that performs decent in the rain.

You pretty much do - the reason that a tire grips well on dry pavement is because it has softer rubber and more contact area. You need deep grooves in a tire to help channel away the water when you hit a puddle or area of standing water. Drag radials, and track tires like the R888 all have minimal/very shallow grooving in them that are pretty much only good for "getting you home" if you get stuck in the rain.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
315/30/20 R888's with 7 to the wheels and they do a pretty decent job... If I lower the PSI around town they will hook great in 2nd. I understand they get high remarks in the rain but haven't experienced it... Some folks get between 8-10 k miles and others have gone 12k+ What I do love about them is how they grab in the twisties... Been drifting in 3rd with no issues!

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
You pretty much do - the reason that a tire grips well on dry pavement is because it has softer rubber and more contact area. You need deep grooves in a tire to help channel away the water when you hit a puddle or area of standing water. Drag radials, and track tires like the R888 all have minimal/very shallow grooving in them that are pretty much only good for "getting you home" if you get stuck in the rain.

Which is why i am wondering about putting r888s on all 4 corners. If you get caught in an unexpected downpour with those on the front, it would seem you have a potential for dangerous hydroplaning on your front wheels too.

Big difference between wet pavement and serious rain + standing water. So far i have had little problem with 555 on front and 555r on back, but only seen light rain and drove very circumspect!

OsirisGT

Established Member
I run a 305 on the back on a 10 inch wheel with no rubbing at all. I have been in the raid and they are not bad. I have the 275's in the front on a 9 inch wheel. I stayed at the speed limit on the freeway and roads and they were fine in very wet. I do live in San Diego so I don't know what real rain or weather is.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member

The R888 has incredibly deep groves and is surprisingly good in the rain. You throw water like a tractor-trailer. They are a great R compound for rain. They are not good in the cold.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
The R888 has incredibly deep groves and is surprisingly good in the rain. You throw water like a tractor-trailer. They are a great R compound for rain. They are not good in the cold.

That is what I was wondering. Thanks. Leaning toward them for next season. Maybe some TF wheels too!

Users who are viewing this thread