Need Help with low speed cooling on single turbo terminator

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
That would be awesome. The hood looks great. Would it be possible to include provisions for closing or covering up the vents, in case of being caught in the rain?

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
I make the hoods myself. Look in my sig. Below is the one a made for RON. If i can pry it out of his hands and if we get enough interest we (Steve from TRUE FORGE WHEELS and I ) will be getting them made in fiberglass or carbon fibre. I think we need 10 people to commit. I am going to try and get things together about mid September.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/904432-new-custom-hood-dsg-cobra.html

i know it depends on people but what kind of range are we talking...500? 1500?
i wonder if i cut the slats out of my cobra r hood?

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Picked up a used Mark VIII fan. Going to see if I can shoe horn it into position. The space in there is very limited.

SVTDice

Established Member
Let us know how it goes. You really need to get an Air dam going as well. Trust me it helps. ALOT. I noticed you have the Mishimoto radiator as well. It has denser fin's so you really need that Mark VIII fan and Air dam to help pull air through the radiator easier.

Between all that and that new hood. You should be in great shape man!

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Thanks dice. The hood looks far off but I think this Mark VIII fan will help. Does anyone here know of anyone who has one in their cobra? I think I'm going to run into a wiring issue.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Finishing up with an idea I had. I removed the front bumper, and made some space between the intercooler and the a/c condenser. There is now about 1 1/4" space between them. I'm hoping that this frees up some air flow to the bottom half of the a/c condenser and radiator. Also have a Mark VIII fan that should be arriving today. I will try to remember to take some pictures. Does anyone know anything about wiring a Mark VIII fan to a cobra?

MTBSully

Established Member
Finishing up with an idea I had. I removed the front bumper, and made some space between the intercooler and the a/c condenser. There is now about 1 1/4" space between them. I'm hoping that this frees up some air flow to the bottom half of the a/c condenser and radiator. Also have a Mark VIII fan that should be arriving today. I will try to remember to take some pictures. Does anyone know anything about wiring a Mark VIII fan to a cobra?

Don't know much about the wiring but def post pics and results. I have yet to drive mine for an extended period of time but my 4" intercooler is wedged with no space at all between the AC condenser and the bumper support.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Yep Race Bronco2 knows what has to be modified to make it work, that is what he runs. He may have a "how to" thread somewhere.

You are definitely onto a significant portion of your cooling issue by addressing air flow. Turbo cars with poorly positioned intercoolers will block a ridiculous amount of cooling air flow.

I believe in addition to trimming the foam, you may also be able to cut out part of the lower back portion of the center section of steel bumper reinforcement. The in coming air gets seriously pinched there even on Cobras with an aftermarket supercharger H/E.

I don't like those 160F thermostats, I would ditch that and get a Reische 170 and the also make sure your fan settings are correct in the tune.
Link: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ostat-cooling-system-reische-performance.html

Also I recommend getting that air dam on there ASAP, it does help in stop and go and slow driving conditions as well as highway. I would put it on full depth and trim it after it is on the car, so as to maximize the effect. Let it scrape, it's going to scrape anyway on some bumps and driveways so go for the max effect.

The boxing in and managing of the in coming air flow to reduce or eliminate any air from escaping without going through the rad, is a highly effective method and is critical on cars like ours with very limited inlet air volume due to the grille opening sizes.

The boxing in helps to create higher inlet air volume and pressure at the rad inlet. The air damn helps to create higher inlet pressure but mostly it helps to reduce the exit air pressure.

The larger the air pressure difference is between inlet air and exit air, the easier the path for the air and more volume of cooling air flow results.

This is why the heavily vented road race style hoods are such a huge single change cooling improvement.

But the the little stuff does still matter and it does still all add to the final goal of improved cooling.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Yep Race Bronco2 knows what has to be modified to make it work, that is what he runs. He may have a "how to" thread somewhere.

You are definitely onto a significant portion of your cooling issue by addressing air flow. Turbo cars with poorly positioned intercoolers will block a ridiculous amount of cooling air flow.

I believe in addition to trimming the foam, you may also be able to cut out part of the lower back portion of the center section of steel bumper reinforcement. The in coming air gets seriously pinched there even on Cobras with an aftermarket supercharger H/E.

I don't like those 160F thermostats, I would ditch that and get a Reische 170 and the also make sure your fan settings are correct in the tune.
Link: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ostat-cooling-system-reische-performance.html

Also I recommend getting that air dam on there ASAP, it does help in stop and go and slow driving conditions as well as highway. I would put it on full depth and trim it after it is on the car, so as to maximize the effect. Let it scrape, it's going to scrape anyway on some bumps and driveways so go for the max effect.

The boxing in and managing of the in coming air flow to reduce or eliminate any air from escaping without going through the rad, is a highly effective method and is critical on cars like ours with very limited inlet air volume due to the grille opening sizes.

The boxing in helps to create higher inlet air volume and pressure at the rad inlet. The air damn helps to create higher inlet pressure but mostly it helps to reduce the exit air pressure.

The larger the air pressure difference is between inlet air and exit air, the easier the path for the air and more volume of cooling air flow results.

This is why the heavily vented road race style hoods are such a huge single change cooling improvement.

But the the little stuff does still matter and it does still all add to the final goal of improved cooling.

Just sent racebronco2 a message about the wiring in the Mark VIII fan. I intend to do the larger wider air dam and box in the radiator. I still need to do some more research in it. As for the bumper support, I'm going to do something like this.
image_zps85a17271.jpg

Mine will be a little different. It won't hold up the intercooler and it will be reinforced to retain the actual strength of a bumper support but still be of the same very low profile. For now I will remove the bumper support and foam and see what kind of added benefit it will bring. Just need to have my welder fab this up. With a piece like this, it seems one could whatever size intercooler they wanted. I have also put a little bit of thought into trimming the bumper cover while incorporating boxing of the radiator. Similar to the old Shelby GT350 and such. Although I'm not sure exactly how to do this without making my car look hideous.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
***Update*** Mark VIII fan is in, wired and working. If anyone is interested in a write up specifically geared toward putting one of these in an 03 with a single turbo and mishimoto radiator, I will gladly put one together. I took a bunch of pictures.

Right now I'm still in the testing phase and have not decided 100% if all these cooling mods have solved my problem completely, but it's looking like the combination of the mishimoto radiator and the Mark VIII fan are removing tons of heat, and keeping temps in safer range. Today I drove it around in the same type of conditions that has made it run hot in the past. Today it got to about 98 degrees but there was a slight breeze. Drove in some moderate stop and go traffic for about 15 minutes while driving to a friend's house after about 30 minutes or cruising around with very little traffic. Temps did not exceed 204 with the A/C cranked up all the way. In similar conditions but fefore the new fan, that would easily have had the car in the upper 220 degree range. I had done that multiple times. So I would be confident in saying that the fan kept the car roughly 20 degrees cooler in regular driving conditions. I will continue to test by driving it to work everyday for the next week. I'm hoping the heat will stay for a little but so I can get a better idea of how well all these cooling mods are working.

I am still going to order a Reische 170 thermostat and make sure my fan is set to come on accordingly. Also, I haven't touched upon any type of boxing in the radiator and I still have the stock hood So there are still a few tricks up my sleeve to get this car running cooler.

One thing I would like to point out is that on my setup, it has the filter attached right to the turbo. The original hellion kit has a 4" diameter tube that attaches to the turbo, so that it places the filter in the fender well. When I was looking at the data that I logged with the sct tuner, I was seeing 132 degree air in the engine bay, right where the filter was drawing air from. This is also going to change. I am going to order this piece of tube from hellion, and cap off the location for the MAF. The air temps are much cooler in the fender well and I believe the intercooler is having to compensate for a bad set up. I will update with more information. Thanks very much for all the information provided. This would have been much, much more difficult without this forum and its contributors.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I personally found my car runs much hotter with the Mishimoto radiator than it did with the stock unit. In hind sight I wish I'd spent the extra money and purchased an OEM replacement instead of cheaping out on the mishismoto.
In 98 ~ 100 F weather I'm seeing 230 temps with a/c on just driving normal. Without a/c only really gets down to about 225 or so. Even on the highway doing 70 ~ 80 mph for 15 minutes plus it only seems to cool off to around 220.
When I had the stock radiator on the car in the same weather I peaked at 220 with a/c in back roads hammering on it. Highway driving was closer to 200.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
I personally found my car runs much hotter with the Mishimoto radiator than it did with the stock unit. In hind sight I wish I'd spent the extra money and purchased an OEM replacement instead of cheaping out on the mishismoto.
In 98 ~ 100 F weather I'm seeing 230 temps with a/c on just driving normal. Without a/c only really gets down to about 225 or so. Even on the highway doing 70 ~ 80 mph for 15 minutes plus it only seems to cool off to around 220.
When I had the stock radiator on the car in the same weather I peaked at 220 with a/c in back roads hammering on it. Highway driving was closer to 200.

Hmm, that's odd to me. I think maybe your problem could be due to the thickness of the mishimoto radiator. Are you using a stock fan? I think I might have heard the same thing from someone else about poor performance out of their mishimoto radiator and it was attributed to the stock fan combined with some other things that compounded the problem. When I changed to the mishimoto, I kept the stock fan but went to a 70/30 coolant mix and used some purple Ice. Cooling improved some but it wasn't until I put in the Mark VIII fan that the combo really started to shine. Look at a couple previous posts talking a out the results from the Mark VIII fan. It is badass. Combine one with your mishimoto and I guarantee that your cooling problems will be significantly reduced.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Hmm, that's odd to me. I think maybe your problem could be due to the thickness of the mishimoto radiator. Are you using a stock fan? I think I might have heard the same thing from someone else about poor performance out of their mishimoto radiator and it was attributed to the stock fan combined with some other things that compounded the problem. When I changed to the mishimoto, I kept the stock fan but went to a 70/30 coolant mix and used some purple Ice. Cooling improved some but it wasn't until I put in the Mark VIII fan that the combo really started to shine. Look at a couple previous posts talking a out the results from the Mark VIII fan. It is badass. Combine one with your mishimoto and I guarantee that your cooling problems will be significantly reduced.

Ugg that's my point. You have to do a 70/30 coolant mix and add a monster Mark VIII fan just to get the cooling you had with the stock radiator? Instead of doing all that I'll just buy another stock radiator and call it good.

Users who are viewing this thread