Need pic's of '00R coolant crossover tube

Boss 330

Established Member
Bruce posted a pic in another thread. I have to fabricate a coolant crossover. A few detailed pic's of the crossover, alternator and area under the throttle body would be a big help. a '98 tube is to high by about 1''
I have been looking at Bruce's pic. Other than sliding into the heads where are the tabs that retain the tube located? Also other than the two bolts on the front of the alternator is there any other support for the alternator? The lower manifold is identical to the production part, the upper is shorter in the front.
TIA..Al
attachment.php

Last edited:

Boss 330

Established Member
Thanks!

From that pic.. The cast aluminum bracket that mounts the P/S bottle and the de-gas bottle is a '96-'98 Cobra part ( Now obsolete from Ford )

The De-gas bottle is a '95 Cobra R part. It's still available from Ford Racing as M-8080-R58**

More pics would be awesome.

Anybody have a p/n for an alternator?
Spoke with the people at March. They still have a p/n for the 4'' alternator/6 1/4'' p/s pulley but couldn't tell me if they are still available.

Last edited:

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Al, my car is at Performance Plus in Madison for a while. If you have further questions, give Doug a call and I am sure he will be happy to help. I presume you have his number from last year, but let me know if you need it again.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Fred, I remember you looking for an alternator at Gingerman this summer. Did you ever find something that would work besides the Cobra R component? Not that it matters to me so much as I am just curious.

svtguy

Established Member
Hope these pics helped. All I had was my camera phone to take pics with. If you need better pics or something in a more specific area, let me know and I will get a good camera and take pics.

Paul.

sdfrog177

Established Member
Rcoolantpicture-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Anyone else out there find any strange markings put on there R? Someone from the factory decided on adding this fine artwork.

Boss 330

Established Member
Thanks!

That was exactly what i was after. It's not going to be to much to modify a '98 4.6 crossover. I really appreciate the help.
As far as the artwork..I have rebuilt a ton of '03-'04 Cobra engines. Some have had "interesting" artwork on the Manley/SVT rods. I'll post a pic of the most recent.

Any luck on the alternator P/N ?

svtguy

Established Member
Boss 330 said:
Any luck on the alternator P/N ?

Here are some pics. From what I have been able to figure out is that it is a 130amp from a 98 SOHC mustang GT. FYI the belt is part #YR3V-8620-BA.

Boss 330

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
Be careful with the welding of the crossover tube. The factory 03/04 tube isnt welded, its brazed.

I discovered that when i built my first Navi based engine. also.. the tubes are not painted, powdercoat. It's not too bad. Heat it to about 450 or so and it overcures the powder and it falls off.

Boss 330

Established Member
svtguy said:
Here are some pics. From what I have been able to figure out is that it is a 130amp from a 98 SOHC mustang GT. FYI the belt is part #YR3V-8620-BA.

It does look like a 2V alternator. If all else fails I can use a standard Cobra alternator. The positive post won't clear the manifold, I rotated the rear housing 33 1/3 degrees. That puts the positive post on the side and clears the lower manifold. he problem with that is there is no way to attach a top support bracket..I'll check on the SOHC P/N toworrow.

svtguy

Established Member
Here is a pic of the 98 SOHC mustang alternator. I think the red battery post extension may come off? and then end up looking like to 00R alternator. There wasn't any numbers on the 00R alternator for me to referance.

Boss 330

Established Member
That is a GT alternator. The red post has a small cap that pops off, Remove a 10mm nut and your done! I have quite a list of '00R engine part numbers. I will make a seperate post, Maybe a mod could make a sticky and everybody could add to it. also i again spoke with the people at march. They had a few sets of p/s and alternator pulleys. I'll have mine tomorrow.

Here's a pic of a standard 4.6 crossover and the problem with the height.
attachment.php

svtguy

Established Member
What application crossover did you end up with?

What exhaust manifolds/headers do you plan on running. I would like to find a set of aftermarket headers for my 00R. I know no one makes a set of headers for the 00R, but what would be a good set to start with in order to modify to work?

Paul.

Boss 330

Established Member
svtguy said:
What application crossover did you end up with?

What exhaust manifolds/headers do you plan on running. I would like to find a set of aftermarket headers for my 00R. I know no one makes a set of headers for the 00R, but what would be a good set to start with in order to modify to work?

Paul.

Started with a '98 crossover. I had another from a Lincoln or something that i used a piece of.
The car is going together with the ported iron Cobra manifolds i had on my red car with the first Navi engine. The guys at Stainless works in ohio agreed to build headers / X pipe. So... when the cars done ( Probably 2-3 weeks or so). I'll make a date in Ohio for headers.
I'm not aware of any 4.6 headers that would make a good starting point.
I searched high and low when i built my first 5.4 car in 2000. I ended up towing the car to Taylor, Mi. to have headers built.
He did a stellar job. Unfortunately the guy is doing large volumes of production stuff and is out of the custom building.

What front K member are you using?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread