need some advice

tjmpaintball06

Established Member
i have a 1995 cobra w/ flowmasters, and cold air intake. i ordered a steeda tri-ax shifter, bassani xpipe w/ cats and bassani headers.

Now my question is, could i beat a stock 1998 cobra? if not, what can i buy in addition to my current mods to smoke this guy (i dont have enough money for a supercharger or turbos). i dont really think that nos is the answer plus i heard if you ever get in a wreck ur toast. i just want to beat this 1998 cobra. i have not raced it yet so i dont know my current stance. Please help me out! O ONE MORE THING. What tires are best for stock rims? Im due for some new ones, i have cooper zeons on there now but i hear these nittos are really good. Whats the best tire?

MARK C

Established Member
No, I don't think you will beat a 98 Cobra,even with your new exhaust. Try some 3:73's,and get real good at shifting!
Nittos are great..I've have them on all 4 corners on my Cobra. Drag's in the back.

tjmpaintball06

Established Member
Are you telling me that there is no way to beat a 1998 cobra without forced induction?!?! What can i do to take on that car. I know there is a way. My shifting is fast enough, i will show this guy the meaning of the word fast.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
94-95 Cobra crank HP rating 240
96-98 Cobra crank HP rating 300

That's a very BIG gap to overcome.

"I will show this guy the meaning of the word fast"

Yeah, but youre going to have to spend some bucks to get it done. Good luck.

tjmpaintball06

Established Member
i figure with the exhaust and cold air intake that will add about 50hp right? that puts me at 290hp, then i figure im a much better driver. a steeda #18 cam claims to add 8-10 hp. I figure i can take him.

Pearbear

180 Lbs of Sad
Established Member
I don't think a CAI and exhuast will net you 50hp, that sounds pretty high, the cam will give you more power than the exhuast I would think.

MARK C

Established Member
You can't always trust what the ads say...as far as your cold air kit goes,I'd say you might have gotten 10 horse.maybe 20 or so with the exhaust. I never said you need to be s/charged...just need more power. Is the 98 modded at all?

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
50 hp?! Get off the white pony. You could do a heads/intake/cam combo and own him, but that's about it.

joegt38

Established Member
No you don't have a chance, you would need the cam a full xhaust including the headers, intake, shifter, gear and tires.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
n2o is the cheapest, easyest route. your not toast if you get in a wreck with n2o. considering the gas is not flamable. only way i see you beating him (if drivers are equal) is with either a power adder, or a new intake/heads/cam.

MARK C

Established Member
Paintball06
Your a better driver,that just might do it. You would have to have some gears and some nice DR's. You never know?
You can see in my sig.what I've done to my Cobra. Still I can't get into the 12's...I'm so close,just need to hook up better @ the track.I'm going to try line lock..to heat up the Nitto DR's better. As far as the street goes....I do real good! With your average 5 mph rolling street launch,look out...the Nittos hook real good. In your case the top end of the 4.6 dohc just might catch you....it's always fun to find out!!
If you really want to spend the money..it's easy to do a h/c/i swap.I willing to help you as much as I can.
BTW I've raced and beat a few 96 & up Cobras.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I just sold my 95 Cobra. With the following mods, I went 13.62 @ 101.5 on street tires.

BBK equal length headers
MAC 2.5" off-road H-pipe
Dynomax 2.5" exhaust
Fender mounted CAI
3.90 gears
Pro 5.0 shifter

I probably could have squeaked out a high 13.4x that day, but ran out of time. Point is, I got beat one too many times in that damn car and had to get me an '03 Cobra. You have no prayer with the mods you have planned unless the guy can't drive at all. Good Luck.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Originally posted by tjmpaintball06
the 98 cobra is completly stock and im a better driver. What intake/cam/heads do u recommend?

There are a friggin ton of H/C/I combos for a 5.0. The choice is yours. Go to MM&FF's site and search for head comparisons, and see which head is right for you. Do the same with intakes, and run a cam that is still easily streetable.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
A member of this forum went 12.9X in a 94 Cobra with CAI, exhaust, 3.73s, DRs and a computer swap. The "RPM Extender", I believe, was the key. Jon (formerly 94Cobra) now lurks with his '03 in the Terminator section. Look him up and get some pointers. You don't need H/C to beat a stock DOHC Cobra (add some gears and DRs to the DOHC and look out ;-)).

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Originally posted by tjmpaintball06
i figure with the exhaust and cold air intake that will add about 50hp right? that puts me at 290hp, then i figure im a much better driver. a steeda #18 cam claims to add 8-10 hp. I figure i can take him.
Thats about average or high average mod #'s for our cars! And ours are blown! There is no way you would get 50rwhp from just those two on your car. Maybe 25-30. <and thats being generous. Good luck anyways.

GtownMACH

smoke tires, not drugs
Established Member
hey how did you like your cooper zeons?? How do they grip in dry and wet? Also how many miles did they last you?? Im looking at some.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
You don't need a cam swap. 3.73's, DR's, catback, h-pipe, CAI, and raise the timing should get you some 13.7's. That should be enough to beat a stock 98 with an average driver.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
When I had my 98 with exhaust only at the time, I raced a 95 cobra with cams, msd, flow c/b, o/r h and cai and he couldn't break 14.0 to my 13.7 with a 2.1 60ft.

Users who are viewing this thread