Need some HELP!! Something broke and I don't know what!!!!

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
I went to get my haircut awhile ago and on my way I pulled up to a red light and I thought I heard a sound of something like when you run over a plastic bottle or something. Didn't think much of it and went on my way after the light turned green. Got to driving a little further and noticed this horrible burnt smell coming through the vent. Didn't think much of it, thought maybe it was something in the air because they're doing road construction around here. Got further down the road and I noticed on my temp gauge that it was getting to about 200 degrees and climbing. I got to the parking lot of where my hair cutting place is and the smell is still there too. I roll down the windows and it sounds like a kinda knocking noise. I pop the hood and could hear a decent audible knocking with a lot of the smell. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. I shut the car off and went and did my business and came back out, started it up, the knocking sound seems to be gone so I decided to limp it home since I don't live too far away. I turned on the heater full blast and put it on vent and went windowns down to keep the heat down. The temperature is still climbing way to high but the knocking sound is gone and the smell is still kinda there.

*** I just went outside to make sure that the knocking is still gone and noticed the fan is not coming on.... Think I found my problem!!!

ITS STOCK

Established Member
fan took a dump prob.

same thing happened to me, the fan blade cracked on the outside circlel part. Knocked like crazy for a min then stoped.

rewsvettezx7

600plus
Established Member
3rd pass at strip my outer housing cracked and broke fan plus melted plastic,,,,and scared the sssshhhttt outta me.......

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
I was going to post about this just now. This same crap happened to me about 30 minutes ago. Im driving around and I stop at a Lowe's hardware store. A/C is on. I hear a loud pop then I heard something rattling. I immediately turn the car off and check underneath the hood. Thankfully the temp didnt start climbing up, but when I started the car with the hood open, I could see the fan rattling back and forth. The fan was still operating, but it was just rattling. It must've broken a tab or something where it screws on. I drove home and she's now just sitting in the driveway. I'm letting it cool down before I do anything. This sucks. Also, I did smell something burning too. Kind of smelled like plastic, but I also smelled coolant. I checked under the hood again and saw no coolant leaking or anything so idk what the coolant smell was coming from. Like I said, I will check it out once it cools down.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was going to post about this just now. This same crap happened to me about 30 minutes ago. Im driving around and I stop at a Lowe's hardware store. A/C is on. I hear a loud pop then I heard something rattling. I immediately turn the car off and check underneath the hood. Thankfully the temp didnt start climbing up, but when I started the car with the hood open, I could see the fan rattling back and forth. I drove home and she's now just sitting in the driveway. I'm letting it cool down before I do anything. This sucks.

Any smell as the OP described?

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
My fan went out last year but it would only get a lil hot when was at a stop... that was in only 80* weather though. Good Luck man!

BTW my fan never made any noises or smells it just stopped working one day hahah

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Bob, Nope haven't had the chance to pull the fan out yet, but will be doing so pretty soon to see exactly what went wrong with it.

The smell was like a nasty burnt electrical smell

01SVTSTANG - Sorry to hear you're in the same boat I'm in, but yeah this Houston weather sucks!! Hot and Humid don't mix.

*****Update - Pulled the fan motor assembly out and found the outer frame of the fan itself that keeps all the blades together is broken. I also found that the high amp fuse for the motor is blown. What do you guys think?? Change the motor out anyway?? or just the fan blade and the fuse?

Last edited:

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Installed new fan motor assembly and I'm back in action!! Fan motor was fried, high amp fuse was blown and fan blade was busted. Factory fan looks to be made of some pretty crappy plastic. I think the Texas heat got to it!

Users who are viewing this thread