New Albuquerque Ordinance

Badasp5.0

Established Member
Drag Racers Lose in 9-0 Council Vote

By Dan McKay

Journal Staff Writer
Police could seize the cars of people who repeatedly drag race on city streets under a bill passed unanimously by the City Council on Monday night.
"We've got a public-safety issue and a quality-of-life issue that affects all of Albuquerque," said Councilor Greg Payne, who sponsored the proposal. "This is a tough bill, but it's a tough situation."
The proposal, known as the Vehicle Nuisance Ordinance, would allow the city to temporarily or permanently seize cars of people who race on city streets or otherwise create a nuisance repeatedly.
The council voted 9-0 in favor of the measure, which now goes to Mayor Martin Chávez for his consideration.
The proposal prohibits:
* Drag racing or competitive racing within the city limits.
* Exhibition driving, such as creating excessive engine noise or tire squealing.
* Using a vehicle to threaten or intimidate someone, such as driving it dangerously close to or behind another vehicle.
* Playing excessively loud electronic sound or music that is plainly audible 25 feet away.
* Modifying exhaust systems to make them more noisy.
Under the proposal, the penalties for a first violation of the ordinance would be a $500 fine or 90 days in jail. For a second offense, police could seize the vehicle for 30 days, in addition to fines or jail time.
Permanent forfeiture of the vehicle is the penalty for a third offense.
Suspects could appeal seizure or forfeiture to a city hearing officer.
Albuquerque police Capt. Fowler Johnston said the ordinance could be a useful weapon against street racing or other nuisance activities, especially on Montgomery NE.
"The bill will at least give us something to work with to solve the problem," he told councilors.
Johnston said police need rules with "some more teeth" to crack down on nuisance drivers.
Some speakers were critical of parts of the bill.
Tim Cordova, a representative of the New Mexico Auto Racing Coalition, said the proposal gives too much discretion to police officers. He also said there would be less street racing if young people had a legitimate place to go drag racing.
"The way this is written, we're at the mercy of the officer," Cordova said. But he added that he agrees with some of the proposal.
Several neighborhood leaders urged councilors to pass the bill. They complained of noise and other problems, especially on Montgomery Ave.

What do you guys think about this? I feel its ok street racing is very dangerious, and should be minimized around town, its just the part * Modifying exhaust systems to make them more noisy
part a little vauge in my book, but that could just be me. What are your ideas on this?

BTW the closest Drap strip is 2 1/2 hours away in Roswell NM. Albuquerque Lost its track 2 years ago due to the state land office revoking the land lease for a major devlopment.
So there really isnt a Legal outlet close by(lol 50% of the states population is in Albuquerque!!!!!!!)

(sorry I had to cut and paste it the local newspaper's link doesnt work)

Last edited:

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
Eh, here the officer catches you racing and will probably slap your ass with a 6 point reckless, and then some for the actual racing. If I were moving out of town, I'd go in front of townhall and leave a nice 20 footlong patch right in front.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Sounds like Ricers are in trouble. Loud Electronic sound, tire squealing and loud fart type exhaust,yup that has "Ricer Law" written all over it.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Also has guys with nice exhaust systems on their mustangs end up paying "noisy exhaust" fines because of sTOopId RicERs!!!

taronis

Banned
Why is in that some people seem to think new laws are the answer when they fail to research and ENFORCE those that are already on the books? Seizure of private property in such an arbitrary way, under such an obviously discriminatory measure, seems to smack of potential constitutionality issues.
Are there insufficient “public nuisance” ordinances and “disturbing the peace” laws on the books? Are there not traffic laws, which if adequately enforced, could give the teeth needed?
This country grows more outlandish each day.

:rollseyes

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It is called little town politics, even though Albuquerque isnt a little town. It is a municipalities way for their public officials to feel good about their public service. A little power is a bad thing!

Badasp5.0

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
It is called little town politics, even though Albuquerque isnt a little town..............

LOL you have never been here have you??? J/k, My buddies and I allways talk about "Real" cities and how Albuquerque isnt one, I consider Albuquerque a Small Town with a population problem........

Users who are viewing this thread