New clutch slipping etc

Fopar

Established Member
Think I already know the answer to this, picked up this cheap 98 recently, guy before me put a new clutch in it but it's some ebay special "stage 2"

318026329_1142059000009472_6415889516313146258_n.jpg

Thing had a bunch of issues when I got it, misfiring #3 cylinder, air bubbled cooling system etc. I took it around the block a couple times while diagnosing this stuff, did a few 1st-2nd gear pulls and it was fine, however one good shift into second on one pull clutch slipped a bit so I let off. Now it's progressively getting worse, I tried to feather it on decel etc to break the glaze if it is glazed but I've noticed the pedal has been dropping alot. To where now there's a ton of play, and the engagement is right off the floor, the stock quadrant is at its max adjustment....

Went under it today to check the PP bolts and brake clean hose it down to try and get any possible grease on the disk (he put a bit too much on the input shaft judging by the pics) and you can see the fingers are waaaay in... almost like the clutch disc is super thick. After snugging bolts and brake cleaning everything I started it up on the jackstands and tried doing some light RPM clutch slips with the parking brake on. Nothing crazy just like 1500-2k, 20-30% engagement slips. Now.... the clutch pedal is even lower and it now drags trying to get into gear with the pedal on the floor.... sooo I'm guessing the disc is coming apart, turning stringy and fattening up the disc thus causing the fingers to drop? Never had one come apart like this so checking here to see if anyone has run into something similar?
IMG_5999.JPG

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd say the pressure plate is dying. I've heard of the bevel spring giving out. That would make sense with the fingers getting lower and lower. If it's cheap enough everything might just be bending and never returning back to the same spot.

It'll be interesting to see what you find when you tank everything apart.

Fopar

Established Member
ok new update, put the car back on the ground, no more dragging clutch so maybe it was just hot and warped? Still pretty low pedal and slippage in the usual spots. This is where it gets weird tho. It's always felt weird shifting at high RPM, tonight I noticed if you rest your foot on the clutch lightly, it actually goes down as the RPM increases, as if the PP being pushed away from the clutch.... Broken disc doing this?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Interesting issue. Not heard of something like this before, hope you tell us what you find when you get it apart

Users who are viewing this thread