New Lightning Owner

wasmstc

Established Member
I am about to trade for an 02 L with 130k miles. The truck is stock aside from a flowmaster catback and an upper pulley. I have been doing alot of research on the usual mods and what you guys do. I would like to change back to a stock upper with a 6lb lower, JLT intake, dynatech catback, s/b t/b, and an sct tuner to start. Then probably a 50 shot or something close after I get used to it. Im coming out of a 99 camaro ss with a cam and some nitrous so im used to going fast. I just got tired of cars and now want a truck. Do my mods sound like a good start? also, should I just order a package from LFP or buy individual parts?

Also, the truck will be my DD with the occasional trip to the dragstrip and occasional spirited driving. I am not hard on vehicles but when I want them to run I want them to run very well.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Sounds like some good mods. You may also want to go with a good aftermarket midpipe. Still with those mods I doubt you'll be faster than a cammed/sprayed LS1 Camaro, but it's okay as I'm came from a 500 whp Terminator, and a F150 is just a much nice platform to have to use frequently than either a Fbody or SN95. I like my L better even though it isn't nearly as fast.

wasmstc

Established Member
Yeah, I loved my 96 Cobra and I like my SS too. I just want a truck, something I can actually use but still DD and have fun. I also notice that I havent found a thread where any L owner states they dont like their trucks. Thats impressive to me.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
I think you really hit on something there. People that trade out of L's to faster vehicles always miss their L. It really is a great all around vehicle.

cobrkilrl

Established Member
I went from a 04 Lightning to a GT500KR. Yes the KR is faster and a lot of fun to drive but to this day I wish I had never traded in my Lightning. I miss that truck so much. You won't be disappointed in the Lightning. Have fun with it.

jojomofo21

Twin Screw Yourself
Established Member
I regret selling my L every single day. If I could afford it I would own another one in a heartbeat. Be cautious though. If your planning on doing a 6# lower and nitrous, be prepared to buy a new short block. The stock motors are only good to about 450-480 hp before they let go. Best of luck and research the FAQ threads.

Sent from my iPhone while I should be working.

wasmstc

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys, I really think I will be happy with it. We will know for sure this weekend! Also, on a side note. I have researched the 4lb lower + nitrous, 4lb lower with 2lb upper, and 6lb lower. It all seems like roughly the same power, more of a pick your poison and depends on your tuning capabilities. I will be taking the truck for a dyno tune at JMS no matter which route I decide to go. Any input or ideas though?

fruhdaddy

Established Member
You will enjoy the truck and with simple bolt ons you can have a low-mid 12 truck. I suggest finding a good tuner who tunes these trucks. LFP is hit or miss when it comes to buying things. Alot of people have waited weeks for simple things others have not. Check the classifieds, there is usually cheap parts for sale. Also your gonna need a bigger MAF or MAFia with a 6lb or 4lb + upper. Good insurance to have

Users who are viewing this thread