New Miami, Ohio Speed Cameras Ticket

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Some interesting replies in this thread and some decent advice on fighting "debt" collection. Which is essentially what the "fee' is.

And before anyone says anything...I'm a Police Officer in Ohio and I'm not a fan of the speed cameras or stop light cameras. Never have been and never will be.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Stop speeding maybe?

U.M.

Was the radar gun calibrated correctly?:nonono:

Was the radar gun set up properly? :nonono:

I received a fee from a company that profits from stating that I was driving faster then the posted speed limit. Does that mean I was actually speeding?:nonono:

For all I know, that camera takes a picture of every 25th car that goes by and states that they are exceeding the posted speed limit.:nonono:

You sir, are an Idiot.:loser:

Anyway, thanks for all constructive reply's.

I contacted a couple of attorneys in the New Miami area and was told that I could fight it, but I would end up paying additional court costs in the end. According to them, the township is broke and this is their gold mine. The judge and chief of police of that township fully support this so there is no way out of paying.

My wife and I do not want our credit rating dinged or have to deal with any collection agency, so we just paid the $95.

Case closed.

Next!

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You could refuse to pay and head down the following path. It will take some perseverance.

When they attempt to collect the 'debt' immediately send them, in writing via certified mail, the following text:

This letter will serve as your legal notice under federal law that regulates activities of collection agencies and their legal representatives.

You are hereby notified under provisions of Public Law 95-109, Section 805-C, THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT to hereby CEASE AND DESIST in any and all telephone and email communications to collect the above referenced debt.

Your failure to do so may result in charges being filed against you with the state and federal regulatory agencies empowered with enforcement.

Please be further warned that if ANY derogatory information is placed on any credit reports after receipt of this notice, it too may result in action being taken against you.

Then, if they post it against your credit report, immediately refute it to all three credit reporting agencies, in writing, that this debt has been illegal assessed against you and it needs to be stricken from your records.

Yes, I've been there and done that. Don't ask why.

Their only recourse to collect the debt will be to take you to civil court and there they will have to prove you owe them money.

Giving in only reinforces that they can treat us this way.

Simply awesome.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
i work in hamilton and i everybody i know or have met hates the speed cameras.

what i want to know is how fast do you have to go back one for it not to take a readable photo? ;)

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Was the radar gun calibrated correctly?:nonono:

Was the radar gun set up properly? :nonono:

I received a fee from a company that profits from stating that I was driving faster then the posted speed limit. Does that mean I was actually speeding?:nonono:

For all I know, that camera takes a picture of every 25th car that goes by and states that they are exceeding the posted speed limit.:nonono:

You sir, are an Idiot.:loser:
I'm also not the one with the ticket either now am I? :kaboom:

U.M.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I'm also not the one with the ticket either now am I? :kaboom:

U.M.

What in Gods name does that have to do with you running around like a Idiot throwing worthless smartass comments on other peoples posts?:nonono:

I asked a legitimate question looking for some constructive feedback, that is all.

If you have nothing constructive to add to my threads, I would appreciate it if you just ignore them all together.

Thank you

againstspeedcam

Established Member
I just wanted to update you on some info I just found out from my Ohio House Representative. Her office told me that they voted yesterday (6-26-13) on the ban of speed cameras and the ban passed in the Ohio House (61/32). It is now going to the Senate. Please take the time to call 1-800-282-0253 to find out your Ohio Senator's phone number and voice your opinion. I am pleased that the Ohio House hears its voters! Let's make sure the Ohio Senate does too!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I just wanted to update you on some info I just found out from my Ohio House Representative. Her office told me that they voted yesterday (6-26-13) on the ban of speed cameras and the ban passed in the Ohio House (61/32). It is now going to the Senate. Please take the time to call 1-800-282-0253 to find out your Ohio Senator's phone number and voice your opinion. I am pleased that the Ohio House hears its voters! Let's make sure the Ohio Senate does too!

Which previously banned member are you again?

May93

Established Member
That in itself seems illegal. They are charging you a "fee"? For what services exactly did you authorize them to charge you for?

The fee is actually a penalty levied against you for speeding and it's one they cannot prove. If they start harassing you by ruining your credit and sending collection agents after you for a bogus charge, it might be worth looking into filing charges against THEM.

It's my opinion that you should always fight this kind of thing and not just roll over and pay these tickets (unless of course you're really certain you were speeding).

Does this apply to all speed camera citations? I've never received one but every time I travel I wonder if this is the time I receive a citation in the mail? I actually obey the speed limits but who can honestly say that they haven’t at one time or another looked down and realized they were speeding. Sometimes it’s the MPH change for different areas resulting in speeding unintentionally. These are the areas where the speed cameras sit. The fact it doesn’t go against my driving record and I won’t lose my license is enough for me to say I'm not paying it. The company couldn’t stay in business if people simply stopped paying.

Users who are viewing this thread