New noise/feel. Possible clutch...

BLK_03

Established Member
Question:
Car has 14,500 miles. Just recently the car has developed a new "feel" and sound when the clutch pedal is pressed in. This only happens with the RPM is up over 3K. Press the pedal down to shift, and the tranny area kind of makes a "fluttering" sound. Almost like if you say efffffffffff and roll your R's at the same time ( sorry for the explanation but that is the best way I can describe it). There is also a very SLIGHT vibration on the clutch pedal when the fluttering takes place. There is no clutch slipping (that I can tell)... meaning if I am in high gear, 5th or 6th, and give it gas, the RPM's don't rise.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this possibly the retainer sleeve on the tranny going bad? For those that replaced clutches, did you have any similar symptoms? What is going on here?

I am tempted to remove all non-factory parts (CAI, shifter, guages), and take it in, but the whole 12K mile warranty on wear items with mine having 14K makes me think it's not worth it?

BLK_03

Established Member
The throwout bearing has been making a little squealing on take-off in first gear (or could this be clutch slipping?). Can a bad throw out bearing make any other noise besides squealing? Like the fluttering noise I described above?

SVT Advisor, where are you? :beer:

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
Do you know if its outside the car as well? I had that noise and it ended up being the catalytic converter shield on one of the cats that would rattle. It sounded like flutter as well. I got it to rattle at 1500rpm though.

Goood luck and I hope it something simple.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
If you are feeling a vibration in the clutch pedal that would indicate that the TOB is having problems. It could also be the cause of the noise you are hearing. As far as your mods are concerned i wouldn't think that they would be the cause of any TOB concerns. Get it to your dealer and have them check TSB's for this concern.

BLK_03

Established Member
Yeah, kinda sounds like it's on the outside. I hadn't thought of the cats. Now that I do, that very well could be it. It doesn't do it all the time and seems to be RPM (vibration) dependent. Hopefully that is the culprit. Just got done taking out the triax and lunar guages :rolleyes: . I know it's probably not necessary, but with all the stories I have heard Ford use as an excuse to void a warranty, I'm not taking any chances.

Thanks shanker, I'll be taking it in this week.

BLK_03

Established Member
Thanks SVT :beer:

I think I remember you saying in the past that Ford was using different TOB's per the TSB. I have had the TOB replaced once already (prior to the supposed TOB TSB). I will definitely tell the dealer to check TSB's.

Sheesh, how many times can you fit TOB and TSB into one sentence :)

BLK_03

Established Member
Just an update...

Took the car in to the dealer. Let the guy who greets you take it for a spin. He could not replicate the noise or feel. I said, let me drive and show you, he said, no, just let my svt shop foreman (Rick) take it for a spin.

The same guy came back a minute later and said, nevermind, the shop foreman doesn't need to take it out. He (rick) said he knows of the problem and ford has a fix for it ( thank god, no "can not replicate problem" b.s.). I asked to speak with Rick.

What a cool guy! He explained that the fingers on the pressure plate tend to wear funny and put pressure on the TOB ( on my second TOB already :mj: ). Supposedly, Ford has fixed the issue with a new clutch/flywheel/TOB that has different pressure plate geometry that reduces stress on the TOB and gives better pedal feel. He also offered to replace the 12mm bolts with 14mm bolts in the IRS. Holy crap!!! I know it's not much, but damnit that is service. I was worried my warranty would get scrapped because of a damn catback!!!!

Anyone in St. Louis or surrounding, Valley Ford is the place to go for warranty work!!! I'll update again when I get the car back. Hopefully it will be as postitive as this one.:beer:

LANIGRL

CrazyCobraLady
Established Member
I just got a whole new clutch , flywheel the whole works ... you"ll Know If its your TOB , Cant miss the sound,.. clutch in no noise , clutch out NOISE .... Have it checked .. my poor cobra had to scream and throw smoke before I took it seriously !! Thank gawd for the extended warranty .. didn't pay a dime ... Thank you Honolulu Ford !!!

Users who are viewing this thread