NGK TR6ix vs. NGK TR7iX (which is better?)

which plugs?

• NGK TR6IX

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • NGK TR7IX

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • DENSO IT24

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • OTHER (please specify)

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
I wouldn't run Denso's ever again. The porcelain is thinner than a NGK iridium and on numerous occasions they have come apart.
I am going to go with the TR7IX's this time around.

HorseDreams

Established Member
Wouldn't you want a tighter gap on the Tr7ix's than .33 if you are spraying? I think they are about .35 stock. I just tried using a gaping tool to bring them in a little, and the center eletrode snapped right off? So I went up to O'Riely's and talked to their tech and he said that these iridium plugs are not to be re-gapped, and if you try you will snap off the electrode every time? Just trying to find out the truth? Whay gap should I run with a tr7ix plug with a 75 shot, stock or tighter? If tighter, how tight and how did you gap them without breaking them?

TIA....!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Iridium plugs should not be gapped with any tool that uses the center electrode for leverage. They CAN be re- gapped, but MUST be gapped using the strap only while never touching the center.

I am running 13 pounds on the Whipple, in a sustained WOT application(open track), the NGK TR6IX came out of the box at about a .033 gap, so I just put them in.

There is a special tool available for gapping Iridium plugs.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-900313
sum-900313_w.jpg

If you are careful and you are only closing the gap this el cheapo version can be made to work. Don't try opening the gap with this however.
sum-900312.jpg

A small needle nose pliers can work if you are careful.

The center electrode tips are tiny and fragile.

HorseDreams

Established Member
Iridium plugs should not be gapped with any tool that uses the center electrode for leverage. They CAN be re- gapped, but MUST be gapped using the strap only while never touching the center.

I am running 13 pounds on the Whipple, in a sustained WOT application(open track), the NGK TR6IX came out of the box at about a .033 gap, so I just put them in.

There is a special tool available for gapping Iridium plugs.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-900313
sum-900313_w.jpg

If you are careful and you are only closing the gap this el cheapo version can be made to work. Don't try opening the gap with this however.

sum-900312.jpg

A small needle nose pliers can work if you are careful.

The center electrode tips are tiny and fragile.

Super info!

Thanks much!

Users who are viewing this thread