NHRA Legal MM 6 Pt. Rollbar

Silver 03 Cobra

Here are a few pics of my Maximum Motorsports roll bar. I varied from MM's install instructions. They have you assemble the hoop and the rear braces and then drill the mounting holes for the foot mounts. Then they instruct you to carefully remove the bar from the car and weld the rear braces to the main hoop. I didn't think this would be too easy and you'd probably beat up your car and the paint job on the bar. Another thing I didn't like was cutting a big long slot for the rear braces in the inner 1/4 panel cover especially when more of the rear panel shows with a rear seat delete kit.

I painted the bar outside of the car and the rear braces up close to where the weld joint was. Then I installed the hoop and then the rear braces in the car. I marked the hole locations on the inner panels per MM's instructions and then drilled them using a 2.25 hole saw. Then I slid the inner panels onto the rear braces on each side and with some coaxing was able to get them in place. It's tough but it's worth the effort. It's a much cleaner install. I finished painting the weld joint areas.

The rear seat delete is from The Motor Company and the pics don't do it justice. It really gives the car a seriuos look. Now if I can just get my Cobra Misano L's delivered I'll be set.

448_p13196.jpg

448_p13197.jpg

448_p13198.jpg

448_p13199.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
Very clean. When I installed my cage..I had problems with the rear brace. The backing plates weren't formed correctly I had to get longer bolts to mount 2 corners. I had a terrible time trying to fit the wrench between the panel to tighten the bolt. I had to use lots of band-aid on my hand but in the end it is well worth it. Yours is so much cleaner. I follow m/m instruction so you know how that looks. Nice Job!

OATS

Established Member
Silver03Snake, how about a photo or two of the foot well area? Do the forward bars interfere with clutch access? Does your leg or foot come into contact with the bar to the left of the clutch at all? I heard from someone that this can be an issue with some installs. What do you think. Thanks.

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by OATS
Silver03Snake, how about a photo or two of the foot well area? Do the forward bars interfere with clutch access? Does your leg or foot come into contact with the bar to the left of the clutch at all? I heard from someone that this can be an issue with some installs. What do you think. Thanks.

Oats, the batteries in my camera are too low. If you'll notice in the pics, the side bars aren't painted. I just sat them in on top of the carpet. There are three reasons for this.

1. I'm not going to race the car until I get a KB so I plan on finishing it out when I'm ready to race.

2. MM's ad is slightly misleading. They sell two types of side bars. They state in their ad that entry into the car is through side bars that swing out or bolt in. I thought they meant the bolt-in could be taken in and out easily. I didn't like the swing-out because the bracket is weak looking to me. They use the swing-out side bars in their assembly instructions. It's not clear on their website how the bolt-in bars mount. The bolt-in actually have the same mounting plate as the hoop and rear braces. They are not meant to be taken in and out and you don't want these for a daily driver. I plan on building my own side bars that can be taken out easily.

3. If you have aftemarket seats, the side bars will hit more than likely due to the wider bolsters. I know they will hit my Corbeaus and for the money I have in my Cobra Misanos, I don't want nothing rubbing on them.

The tube is right up against the kick panel. I don't see any clearance problems operating the car. If you use the swing-out bars, the mounting foot is very low profile and would not be a problem driving without the side bars.

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by Fresh Cobra
Very nice set up!!! Are those bars chromemolly or steel??? Props to your set up!!!

~ Fresh :rockon:

This quote is from their website:

1-3/4” x 0.134” wall DOM seamless tubing (much stronger than the commonly used ERW seamed tubing).

I'm assuming they are carbon steel. They state their bars exceed HNRA rules.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Did you slot the plastict where you have to drill the holes for the down tubes and reglue it or did you drill the holes and slip the plastic over the tube and weld it to the mail hoop?

Silver 03 Cobra

They are not slotted and glued back. I used a 2.25" hole saw to drill a single hole in each panel. I used MM's instructions right up to marking the locations of the holes with the supplied piece of PVC pipe. After that I pulled the inner panels, drilled them and them slid them on the rear braces while the hoop remains in the car. It's not that bad. Just takes some coaxing. The bar has to be leaned forward to take install the rear braces and when you slip the inner panel over the bar it can be forced back downwards when you tilt the bar back into place.

If you have a welder, TIG is the best, go ahead and weld the rear braces before you tilt the bar back in place because it gives you more clearance and a lot easier to get to than while in place. If you don't have welder, take it to a weld shop and then lean it forward before they start. Then if possible, paint the remaining section and then tilt back into place. If you ever have to pull the bar for any reason then you'll have to slot your panels to get them off because you'll never get the bar out with the panels on the rear braces.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread