Night Time Radar/Laser Effectiveness

black03SVT

Established Member
I would like to know if the police use thier laser and radar guns at night. Are they just as effective as in the day time?

My second question has to do with the radar used by airplanes. (I hope this question has not been asked before) Can they send you a ticket through the mail without ever getting pulled over? And, do they enforce at night as well?

I make a lot of trips to Las Vegas from California as well as up north to Mammoth Mountain. I drive at night and tend to speed quite a bit. Will I get caught?

I would like to hear other peoples experiences as well.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If you get a speeding ticket in the mail, they almost always use Photo Radar. They need to prove it was you driving. In NJ. they have you appear and they look at the picture taken by the Photo radar and they compare it to you. If it doesnt look like you, they dismiss it.

A quick story. One of my buddies went to fight his photo radar ticket. He got in the line and there were five people in front of him. Each one got up there and the guy behind the counter looked at each person and said "Nope, that isnt your picture." and then said it is dismissed. He gets up there and it is a perfect full face picture of my buddy. Needless to say, he was GUILTY!!!

As far as the radar from the plane. I have never worked with that or experienced it. I know from having my pilots license, that the physics required to use radar from a plane that is changing altitude and direction is going to be difficult and easy to fight in court.

I know in this state they used to use planes and helo's to do VASCAR.

good Luck

MayorofTrukvile

Established Member
radar is very accruate at nite (I could write a novel on past experinces of getting clocked at nite) there is no local depart or state patrol that has laser in this area and I have not been busted by it at nite

Radar in airplanes is a rare occurance in this area. State patrol uses two highly accurate stop watches to clock you, the plane radios your speed to ground units ahead to pull u over and issue a warning or citation. You can mount a radar dector vertically (pointing at the roof) to detect radar from planes running just one dectector mounted on the windsheild will not pick up the plane. The only protection against being timed by a plane is to have a good scanner to listen to them.

If you drive a lot of miles speeding you will adventually get caught no mater what kind of equipment you have. I have just about everthing known to man and you still get stopped.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Just for info sake, the Valentine 1 is supposedly multidirectional and will pick up radar from in front, behind, either side or front the top.

BTW Mayor, the stopwatch system is Vascar. And there are multiple web sites dedicated to the inaccuracies of it.

In NJ, we stopped using Vascar although the lines on the road still exist to F*ck with out of state drivers that are used to slowing down for the lines on the road associated with Vascar.

As the Mayor said, if you drive a lot and you speed, you will get caught.

good Luck

hulk

MayorofTrukvile

Established Member
when trying to beat a ticket:
the cleanlyness of the persons driving record, willingness of the prosecutor and judge to "deal", and the use of a local lawyer is more helpful than trying to discredit radar and vascar readings

black03SVT

Established Member
Cruise Control at 94MPH

I dont know if you guys are familiar with the trip from L.A. to Vegas or up north to Mammoth Mountain, but the speed limit is 75mph and it is all baren desert for about 80 miles at a time.

The primary enforcement of speed is through aircraft radar. Signs are posted along the way that state: speed enforced by aircraft. I was wondering if these planes enforce speed all the time even at night? And how do they enforce? Do they radio in highway patrol?

The trip is usually 3 to 5 hours long and at night there are hardly any cars at that time.

The trip is long and boring so I cant help but to speed.... cautiously;-)

Pony2NV

Established Member
Light conditions have no effect whatsoever on radar, it is the same day or night.

Cat Breath

Established Member
Originally posted by MayorofTrukvile
Radar in airplanes is a rare occurance in this area. State patrol uses two highly accurate stop watches to clock you, the plane radios your speed to ground units ahead to pull u over and issue a warning or citation. You can mount a radar dector vertically (pointing at the roof) to detect radar from planes running just one dectector mounted on the windsheild will not pick up the plane.

Radar in airplanes (as used to catch speeders) is a rare occurance everywhere lol. Planes clock you with a simple stopwatch. There is no radar involved. In areas where they are used you will see large white lines sprayed accross the highway for no appearent purpose. Someone in the plane starts their stopwatch at one big white line and stops it at the next. The known distance is then divided by the time you traveled it to get your speed. It is the most expensive means of catching speeders and is very uncommon.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Once again, we have discussed this. That is called VASCAR. NJ doesnt use it anymore because it is too easy to beat in court, especially from a moving plane.

But, a Helocopter can shoot radar and they have been known to do it. Not often, as it is not cost effective.

Good Luck

Hulk

Users who are viewing this thread