Nitrous Jetting location

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Location of nitrous jet, why are we jetting at the nozzle or plate? Is there a reason for it? Why don't we jet at the solenoid, jetting at the solenoid makes more sense to me.

5lho

Established Member
Jetting at remote solenoid, assuming you can, softens the hit. NX plate systems have their jetting at the solenoid, bc, the solenoid is mounted to the plate.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
Just a guess: Probably so the metering restriction is closest to the discharge...

If the metering takes place remotely, there will be some unaccounted for (or much harder to account for) pressure and flow drop that differs greatly from installation to installation.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Just a guess: Probably so the metering restriction is closest to the discharge...

If the metering takes place remotely, there will be some unaccounted for (or much harder to account for) pressure and flow drop that differs greatly from installation to installation.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? I mean the orifice on my solenoid is .093 (not installed right now) and my smaller solenoid is .068 (installed right now). The 7 inch nitrous plate feeding line has a ID of 1/4 inch. Let's say that the solenoid just opened and is now discharging. Will there initially be a pressure drop, since the vol. has increased? Nitrous needs to be around 750 psi to stay in a dense liquid state, now with the pressure drop couldn't the nitrous be partially in the gaseous and liquid state? And now in the semi-gaseous and liquid state (less dense state) I'm trying to meter it with a jet. It just seem like I would want to meter nitrous in it's most dense state, which at least in my mind would produce more consistent metering results. Am I thinking through this right?

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
Wouldn't it be the opposite? I mean the orifice on my solenoid is .093 (not installed right now) and my smaller solenoid is .068 (installed right now). The 7 inch nitrous plate feeding line has a ID of 1/4 inch. Let's say that the solenoid just opened and is now discharging. Will there initially be a pressure drop, since the vol. has increased? Nitrous needs to be around 750 psi to stay in a dense liquid state, now with the pressure drop couldn't the nitrous be partially in the gaseous and liquid state? And now in the semi-gaseous and liquid state (less dense state) I'm trying to meter it with a jet. It just seem like I would want to meter nitrous in it's most dense state, which at least in my mind would produce more consistent metering results. Am I thinking through this right?

You are forgetting something....By jetting at the end of the hose, as it were, there's the deadhead pressure against the orifice. If you restrict water flow at the pipe end in your shower, you see drastically lowered pressure and volume at the faucet. You restrict at the faucet and you get massively increased pressure, which will keep the nitrous as densely packed as possible coming through the orifice.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
What 5lho said in regards to feed issues/reducing them.... (keeping the pressure as high as possible as long as possible)

The other thing I can think of is that the solenoids openings (feed/discharge) aren't really meant (shaped correctly) to function as a metering device by itself, otherwise they would just run an "open tube" from solenoid exit right into the manifold/intake runner, etc. The "nozzle" would be redundant/not needed then... Think about spraying a can of spray paint without the nozzle vs. with.... not sure if that is a good analogy or not, LOL... The nozzle is needed for a correct "spray pattern".

edit: another thing is to maximize the effect of the heat of vaporization of the nitrous (cooling the intake charge), you want ALL the pressure drop to take place in the intake. If there is a restriction in the feed somewhere (at the solenoid, as you seem to be describing), some of that expansion/cooling effect will take place elsewhere in the system/be wasted....

Interested in other responses too :)

Last edited:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
You are forgetting something....By jetting at the end of the hose, as it were, there's the deadhead pressure against the orifice. If you restrict water flow at the pipe end in your shower, you see drastically lowered pressure and volume at the faucet. You restrict at the faucet and you get massively increased pressure, which will keep the nitrous as densely packed as possible coming through the orifice.

I'm a little confused with the shower analogy, sorry, but I see what your saying about density.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
What 5lho said in regards to feed issues/reducing them.... (keeping the pressure as high as possible as long as possible)

The other thing I can think of is that the solenoids openings (feed/discharge) aren't really meant (shaped correctly) to function as a metering device by itself, otherwise they would just run an "open tube" from solenoid exit right into the manifold/intake runner, etc. The "nozzle" would be redundant/not needed then... Think about spraying a can of spray paint without the nozzle vs. with.... not sure if that is a good analogy or not, LOL... The nozzle is needed for a correct "spray pattern".

edit: another thing is to maximize the effect of the heat of vaporization of the nitrous (cooling the intake charge), you want ALL the pressure drop to take place in the intake. If there is a restriction in the feed somewhere (at the solenoid, as you seem to be describing), some of that expansion/cooling effect will take place elsewhere in the system/be wasted....

Interested in other responses too :)

That's a good point about the cooling effect. I'm not talking about not using a jet, just about jetting it right after the solenoid.

So, it seems I should move the nitrous solenoid as close as possible to the plate(leave the jet in the plate) and then delay it a little. By moving the solenoid as close as possible to the plate I think it would alleviate a good bit of pressure drop. That is post solenoid, this is from reducing the vol. in the line (in-between the solenoid and the plate).

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
I mean, if you restrict the inlet size at the pipe end...you now have to try and fill the rest of pipe with very little volume of nitrous. This means a weakly metered shot. If you restrict it at the end of the pipe, you have huge pressure against the orifice, like putting your thumb over the end of the garden hose. This means a strongly metered shot as close as possible to what the jet is aimed at producing.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Thanks 5lho I see what your saying.

So, here is what I did. I Shortened my n20 solenoid to plate line from 7" to about 2.5" and if I still don't like the hit I'll swap in my larger solenoid.

Pic of setup with a shorter line.
20160417_174754.jpg

5lho

Established Member
I'm using NX plate so, I don't really have choice, since the solenoids are rigidly attached to the plate.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Thanks 5lho I see what your saying.

So, here is what I did. I Shortened my n20 solenoid to plate line from 7" to about 2.5" and if I still don't like the hit I'll swap in my larger solenoid.

Pic of setup with a shorter line.
20160417_174754.jpg

What size line are you running from the N2O noid to the plate?

I was having issues with my GT500 plate not picking up anything with jets larger than .062, I had the plate flow tested and it flowed 300hp worth of nitrous using a large .125 orifice solenoid. He flowed that using a -6 line to the plate on the bench setup used for testing. Turns out the 18inch long -3 N2O line I was using from the solenoid to the plate was the choke point.

I switched a -4 line from the solenoid to the plate and it really woke up using a .078 jet.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
What size line are you running from the N2O noid to the plate?

I was having issues with my GT500 plate not picking up anything with jets larger than .062, I had the plate flow tested and it flowed 300hp worth of nitrous using a large .125 orifice solenoid. He flowed that using a -6 line to the plate on the bench setup used for testing. Turns out the 18inch long -3 N2O line I was using from the solenoid to the plate was the choke point.

I switched a -4 line from the solenoid to the plate and it really woke up using a .078 jet.

I'm using a 4 AN, I'll be headed to the track Wed or Sat and I'll measure the bottle before and after a pass. Hopefully that will give me an idea of were it stands.

5lho

Established Member
Intersting. That confirms my thinking here that you want essentially, what amounts to plenum volume, behind the jet, to give a accurate, strongly metered shot.

Hope the results are positive for you, oldbones.

Users who are viewing this thread