No Start

AKPony

Established Member
Ok guys thought Id start a new thread for this. Yesterday I got the Cobra out and drove it to work. First time this year I’ve brought it to work. I went home for lunch and the car was running fine. Got back in it after lunch and headed down the road. I got a block or two from the house and it just shut off. I had to tow it back home. It hasn’t started since. It will crank but wont start. I replaced my MSD box about a week or two ago and the car was running fine. I thought maybe the box went bad so I put my old box back on but still the same problem. The only other thing I’ve changed recently was I added under drive pulleys. Any ideas on what’s going on?

Oh sorry for the long post.

Rich

AKPony

Established Member
Not sure yet. Im going to try to check that tonight. I can hear the fuel pump kick on though when I turn the key. I also checked for any codes but none were thrown. There were some blinking lights on the MSD box and I looked them up. I know my battery is fine but Im not sure on the other code.

Two Blinks: Low battery, indicated below 3,000 rpm.
Three Blinks: Intermittent input signal.

AKPony

Established Member
Still have a Quarter tank. Didnt seem like it ran out of gas. It didnt sputter or anything. It just shut off.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
It has to be the MSD. for some reason these 4.6 DOHC motors dont like MSD stuff. Do you have the stock ignition components to try?

one easy thing to check, try resetting the inertia switch in the trunk. Its located in the left rear behind the trunk liner.

AKPony

Established Member
Tried resting the inertia switch last night. It didn't help. I also replace the new MSD box with my backup one and it does the same thing. I'm thinking maybe its the crank sensor switch.

cheese

bubbye
Established Member
did you change the pump ? when i changed mine the gas gage was off and i ran out of gas. it wouldnt hurt too grab a can a run up and grab 5 gallons of gas.

Last edited:

94venomV8

Established Member
one easy thing to check, try resetting the inertia switch in the trunk. Its located in the left rear behind the trunk liner.

He said he could here the fuel pump kick in when he turns the key so the inertia switch would do no good because if it was popped than the fuel pump wouldnt run at all.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Take an old plug and check for spark. You also need to get the fuel pressure checked because a pump can stop pumping even if you can hear it turn on.

AKPony

Established Member
Well I took the car to my mechanic. They diagnosed the problem in about 30 sec. Looks like the new coil pack I put on the car last fall went out. They said they have the car running now and it will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow.

AKPony

Established Member
Back to the drawing board. Took the car out last night and had to have it towed back the the mechanic. I believe the new coil went out. It did the same thing this time as it did the last. Was driving away from a stop light and shifted to second and the car died and wouldn't restart. Any ideas on why I'm frying the coils?

DopeStang

Established Member
check to make sure the signal from the crank sensor is getting to the coil, also check the timing gear inside the hole for the crank sensor. i had a timing gear break on my car when it had 60k on it, most likely due to the underdrive crank pully with no balancer on it.

Users who are viewing this thread