North Racecars rear bracket question...

fivestangs

Established Member
Hey guys,
I've swapped my Cobra axles for 31 spline Mosers (stock 5.0 length) and installed the North Racecars brackets but ran into an issue.

The bracket seems to have moved the caliper too far inboard. If I had to guess, it seems that the bracket would work fine if the rear rotor was a single, non-vented disc. Are the turbo coupe rear brakes single disc? I had to put some hardened washers between the north racecar bracket and the caliper mounting bracket to allow for enough space so the rotor wouldn't hit the caliper bracket.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, did you do anything better than just spacing the bracket back out with washers?

Thanks
Mark

blk50cobra

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I remember the same thing happening to me when I switched to the 94+ cobra rears using the North Racecars brackets. I think the tolerances on those brackets are a little loose. At least they were off in the right direction so you could space them. Maybe it's intentional. I think I had to put the hardened washers on the other side of the bracket too, in order to space the bolt so it wouldn't bottom out.

cheapertokeephe

Established Member
I'm thinking about going to SN95 (95gt), 5 lug axles and just using the stock Cobra brakes. Will that work without any clearance issues? What would happen if I run 18x9s in the rear with 265/35/18?

blk50cobra

Established Member
It won't work because the stock cobra rotors won't fit over the SN95 axles. You could make it work only by modifying the stock rotors. This would require re-drilling the 5-lug bolt pattern and machining the center hole to match the larger center bore required for the SN95 axles. It might be easier to get custom axles that are exactly the same as the stock ones, except 5-lug, then just re-drilling the bolt pattern.

Not sure about the tire clearance question.

cheapertokeephe

Established Member
I'm glad I asked. Looks like I will need to use fox length axles with the NorthCobra brackets. Does anyone know if my choice of wheels and tires will fit with this setup? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread