NorthwoodGT Intake Spacer

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I have the upper intake lid ready to come off my car and will be bolting the spacer in tomorrow evening.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Long story short the 3/8" spacer doesn't allow the EGR to bolt back to the EGR sensor. Its about half a hole short of being able to thread the EGR tube to the EGR. I didnt try anything too drastic to make it fit because I dont want the customer to have to go through that much hassle to bolt this on.

Im already pricing these things right above my cost so the idea of pursuing an EGR offset adapter isnt feasible without raising the price. So Im not going to attempt that.

The 3/8" spacer does fit underneath the stock hood with the hood blanket installed. I couldnt check for rubbing because I couldnt drive the car but the hood closed normally. If you dont have or plan to delete the EGR on your track only car then this is still a mod you could take advantage of.

Im tentatively planning to make a run of 5 or so 1/4" spacers if there is demand. So let me know? Guys/Gals if you want a 1/4" spacer post up.

Otherwise, I'll keep to selling brake ducts. :beer:

Thank you,
Anthony
Midcontinent Mustangs

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
TBD. I havent called and ordered/priced them yet. I know they'll be less than the 3/8" spacers so I hope for these to be in the $79-$89 range.

I may also look at including a 3/8" drive with an Allen drive bit to make torquing the intake lid bolts a no brainer.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
TBD. I havent called and ordered/priced them yet. I know they'll be less than the 3/8" spacers so I hope for these to be in the $79-$89 range.

I may also look at including a 3/8" drive with an Allen drive bit to make torquing the intake lid bolts a no brainer.

can I purchase the 3/8" spacer that you have?
I have already deleted my EGR, so it doesn't bother me that I can't hook it up.

Lemme know. :banana:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Just sent a payment for a 3/8" spacer! [egr is deleted] :banana:

If you want I can let all you guys know what my impressions are of it. My car will be getting dyno'd again as well, but I'll also be installing full exhaust and an intake with the spacer, so you can't see the EXACT gains from the spacer alone, but it can't hurt to share.

I just hope it fits under my stock hood!

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Just sent a payment for a 3/8" spacer! [egr is deleted] :banana:

If you want I can let all you guys know what my impressions are of it. My car will be getting dyno'd again as well, but I'll also be installing full exhaust and an intake with the spacer, so you can't see the EXACT gains from the spacer alone, but it can't hurt to share.

I just hope it fits under my stock hood!

3/8" including the top and bottom gaskets will not clear your hood. You will get severe rubbing on the passenger side nostril and the throttle body will make actual contact with the hood and may not even close.

See the "intake spacers revisited" thread to see pics of how I trimmed my hood to make some space, and even then with the 1/4" spacer, I am rubbing a little.

Your only cheapest resolve is to get K-member spacers that will drop your K-member down by 1/2 inch. The other option is to get a different hood, but that is not an option in my case since I love my 96-98 Cobra hood. :rockon:

Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension

But, one thing to note is that your spring drop will lessen. i.e. if you have a 1.75" drop in the front, after installing the k-member spacer, your drop will lessen to 1.25".

I hope this is plentiful info that will help ya.

Ken

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
3/8" including the top and bottom gaskets will not clear your hood. You will get severe rubbing on the passenger side nostril and the throttle body will make actual contact with the hood and may not even close.

See the "intake spacers revisited" thread to see pics of how I trimmed my hood to make some space, and even then with the 1/4" spacer, I am rubbing a little.

Your only cheapest resolve is to get K-member spacers that will drop your K-member down by 1/2 inch. The other option is to get a different hood, but that is not an option in my case since I love my 96-98 Cobra hood. :rockon:

Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension

But, one thing to note is that your spring drop will lessen. i.e. if you have a 1.75" drop in the front, after installing the k-member spacer, your drop will lessen to 1.25".

I hope this is plentiful info that will help ya.

Ken

so your saying, that even if I trim and try and modify my hood..I STILL won't be able to fit the 3/8" in?

btw I'm getting a QA1 k-member that'll be going in..idk if that'll help any or not.

if it doesn't work...I guess I'll start investing into a new hood :shrug:

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
so your saying, that even if I trim and try and modify my hood..I STILL won't be able to fit the 3/8" in?

btw I'm getting a QA1 k-member that'll be going in..idk if that'll help any or not.

if it doesn't work...I guess I'll start investing into a new hood :shrug:

Go with a 95R hood, I think it looks best on the 96-98 Cobra's

edswhite99

Established Member
I'm confused. So the 3/8" spacer with the gaskets will not fit, right? How tall is the 1/4" spacer with the gaskets? I'm curious to hear if there's an improvement in either SOTP or actual dyno improvement with the 1/4" spacer.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I'm confused. So the 3/8" spacer with the gaskets will not fit, right? How tall is the 1/4" spacer with the gaskets? I'm curious to hear if there's an improvement in either SOTP or actual dyno improvement with the 1/4" spacer.

You will be fine and a 3/8" will fit fine in your car.

I have a 96 Cobra with a swapped 01intake/03head combo.
so my hood clearances are different.

Jfoster

Established Member
FYI - had a poor experience with northwoodgt on ebay. He bought a part from me and left neutral feedback when it took 9 business days (including shipping and handling) to arrive at his door. I later realized that they were karkraft, which I had read poor reviews about previously.

01bluesnake

Established Member
FYI - had a poor experience with northwoodgt on ebay. He bought a part from me and left neutral feedback when it took 9 business days (including shipping and handling) to arrive at his door. I later realized that they were karkraft, which I had read poor reviews about previously.

poor reviews on karkraft spacer? wasn't aware of that. i installed one due to the bashing on spacers in the "spacers revisited" thread, and gained power/torque and changed my powerband for the better. i think the outcome of karkrafts spacers was very good, and didn't run into any fitment issues. there was adjustment to get the egr to fit, but very minor. i think the major fault relies on the installer to insure proper sealing on the intake is good once finished. some people said they had poor idling or misfires, which are indications of a vacuum leak. a spacer can only increase the effective plenum area and should cause NO surging, poor idling rpm or cause misfires. ALL intake spacers have same effect, the only difference is with the thickness which could cause a decrease air velocity if too thick is installed for your vehicle's mods, making the vehicle actually lose power. :rockon:

Jfoster

Established Member
I was speaking of Kar Krafts reputation in general, not this product, as I know nothing about it. Coincidentally, we've resolved the specific issue that I alluded to - all is well.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
poor reviews on karkraft spacer? wasn't aware of that. i installed one due to the bashing on spacers in the "spacers revisited" thread, and gained power/torque and changed my powerband for the better. i think the outcome of karkrafts spacers was very good, and didn't run into any fitment issues. there was adjustment to get the egr to fit, but very minor. i think the major fault relies on the installer to insure proper sealing on the intake is good once finished. some people said they had poor idling or misfires, which are indications of a vacuum leak. a spacer can only increase the effective plenum area and should cause NO surging, poor idling rpm or cause misfires. ALL intake spacers have same effect, the only difference is with the thickness which could cause a decrease air velocity if too thick is installed for your vehicle's mods, making the vehicle actually lose power. :rockon:

You mis-understood what he said.

He's talking about they KarKraft have a bad rep for shitty attitude, and general things. I personally have found them to be a little arrogant.

He sold [them] something, and [they] gave him a bad review about his 1.5 week delivery time.

01bluesnake

Established Member
You mis-understood what he said.

He's talking about they KarKraft have a bad rep for shitty attitude, and general things. I personally have found them to be a little arrogant.

He sold [them] something, and [they] gave him a bad review about his 1.5 week delivery time.

lol, it's all good, i know he had bad service, i just thought he ment bad reviews on the spacer lol:beer: didn't mean to come off the wrong way, sorry:-D

Users who are viewing this thread