Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
hey Beast,
I really appreciate giving us all this good information! I am looking to do my first oil change at around 2k miles maybe 1800. It is not my daily driver but
I do aggressively have fun with the car (WOT throttle between lights, highway runs, and maybe some drag strips) but mostly I baby it with the wife and get groceries (non liquid only :O ). I also live in NC where it's usually warm and rarely gets below freezing.

I want to use me some Amsoil. I am thinking 10w-40? Sound good?

Also, I am about to install dual Aeroforce gauges as well as Boost and oil pressure. Can you provide some average oil pressures in your charts?

For example:
- with factory oil if your oil pressure drops below XX then you need to change oil or if its within these XX - XX amounts at hot idle then you are still good.
- with 10w-30 if you see oil pressure drop below 25psi at hot idle then change to 10w-40.
- with 10w-40 if you see oil pressures go above 35psi at hot idle then your engine is working too hard to move the oil and should change
- with 10w-40 at WOT throttle what should the oil pressure be? 80psi max? any higher then need to reduce weight to 10w-30 from 10w-40?

I know you love charts and I do too, I would love to measure what I have from factory with my motorshaft 52-50.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I never had an oil pressure gauge when the factory fill was in my engine (MC 5W-50), so I can not comment on the pressures. I can only safely assume they would be higher than 10W-40 when the MC 5W-50 hasn't sheared.

Here is what I have seen with both 10W-30 and 10W-40.

Amsoil 10W-30: Hot idle 23-25 PSI, Hot cruising (1,500-2,200 rpm) 59-73 PSI, I haven't tested to see what rpm pushes the oil pump bypass open (i.e. I haven't been watching the gauge while driving like an idiot, lol).

Amsoil 10W-40: Hot idle ~30 PSI, Hot cruising (1,500-2,200 rpm) ~65-75 PSI, the oil pump bypass was open around 3,000-3,500 rpm @ WOT.

So far, 10W-30 is working fine for my GT500 with cooling mods (170* T-stat). I have never seen oil pressure at idle ever drop under 20 PSI, so I'm still comfortable there. Oil pressures seem to agree with the engine much better. If I didn't have a 170* T-stat, I would be experimenting with a 30/40 mix.....or using straight 10W-40 again.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Made about 10 passes down the 1/8 mile last night. Glad to have that "abuse" in the next UOA of Amsoil 10W-30 so we can see how it gets the job done.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Please help wise one

Beast, great info. i posted in a different thread and this one is more appropriate. I just did the first oil change at 5000miles with Motorcraft 5w-50. I will send the oil out tomorrow for analysis, and I would greatly appreciate your help understanding it. If you beat me on the head for waiting so long :bash: I will understand. All I know is to follow the owner's manual or the old 3/3000. I live south of Houston and go as far north as Dallas, what do you recommend I use? It is a DD that gets about 100 miles a day and I drive spirited :burnout: with occational high rpm shifts. I also used a Mobil 1 oil filter - any suggestions on that?:shrug: THANKS!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Nuclear, please remain still during the test.

uesc_08_img0480.jpg

Good, now that I know you are safe to come around....lol

5,000 miles on Motorcraft 5W-50, I would LOVE to add it to my sample list. You have a deal, you send me the results, and I will decipher it for you.

100 miles a day, well that means you have a lot of highway miles on your car. Highway miles are very easy on oil. In your sample, here are my predictions.

Silicon will be 250-300+ ppm
Viscosity will be ~ 12.5 (+/- .5)
Iron will be 30-40 ppm

PLEASE pay the extra $10.00 for TBN testing if you use Blackstone. You have no idea how much you would contribute to the GT500 community.

I'm going to send you a PM.

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
Glowing!

I sent the sample to OAI and will post the results as soon as I get them. I do virtually all highway miles, but I do love the sound of the exhaust and the whine of the supercharger. There are several ver long straight shots in my drive that I like to 'run' the car.

As for standing still, I actually wear 2 radioactive detectors (no joke), and get screened before I go home everyday :pepper:

You never said what you think I should be running though???

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Nuclear....you have a radioactive PM. What do you do for a day job, it sounds dangerous. I'm assuming a nuclear power plant?

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
You are correct. I work for the US NRC at a Nuclear Power plant. Kind of like a federal cop at the plant to make sure they do what they are supposed to.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Glowing

Thanks for your PM, I PMed you back asking about the difference between the Mobil 1 filter and the amsoil. The Mobil 1 lists 99% eff.:??:

That explains why I don't need night lights!:D

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Mobil 1 EP and K&N oil filters use a cellulose synthetic based media. 99% @ 20 microns.

Amsoil Ea uses a patented nano fiber media. 98.7% @ 15 microns: 99% @ 20 microns.

There is really no comparison. The Amsoil Ea oil filter is built to higher standards than Mobil 1 or K&N oil filters (both are built by Champion Labs and almost identical other than a variation in the filter media).

Take a look at a used Amsoil EaO11 versus a used Motorcraft FL-820

0015-1.jpg

0011.jpg

0010-2.jpg

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
The Amsoil looks a little smaller than the motorcraft in terms of filter media (height and number of pleats) is that a concern for life of the filter? :??: Great cutaways! I like the larger size of the silicon diafram and the spring ratehr than the washerish end. Definitely shows better construction.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Never judge a book by it's cover. Bigger (more media surface area) isn't always better....

media_cross_section_500.jpg

Despite a smaller visual surface area. Amsoil Ea oil filters have much more capacity. The wire backing insures the media will not deform during it's usable life.

b51d7955.jpg

and the reason for a slightly smaller media area. OIL FLOW!

amsoil.jpg

filter_media.jpg

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
Amsoil EA Oil filters for the win. I have one in my 03 and I will NEVER Use anything else.

shelbyjeff

1/4 mile at a time!
Established Member
Now i'm not sure which oil and oil filter to use,I have been using MOTORCRAFT oil and filter but now I see all this info and need to change my oil now! PLEASE HELP 2010 gt 500

SVTDice

Established Member
Motorcraft is OK. However, I don't want to make you paranoid or anything but Motorcraft is FAR from the best. If you really want to step up to something quality. Get Amsoil.

Otherwise if you don't want to bother. No biggie. Your car will be fine. PM if you want more suggestions etc. I don't want to clutter up this nice man's thread.

:)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Now i'm not sure which oil and oil filter to use,I have been using MOTORCRAFT oil and filter but now I see all this info and need to change my oil now! PLEASE HELP 2010 gt 500

Motorcraft is sufficient to get the job done, true. Is it the best lubricant for the job? Absolutely not!

You'll be fine with the Motorcraft oil and filter.

My comment above confirms your statement, so we agree, but....

At what point does someone invest in a car like the Shelby, yet settle for a "sufficient" engine lubricant?

I've always asked this question to anyone who ever said the oil they were using in their high cost car is "sufficient" to get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread