Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaFreak

Established Member
Wow, so almost 90k hits and this is not a sticky? Sucks that I have to search to find this thread every time. Anyways, Troy/UB, I had a "cautionary" UOA last time so I took your advice and went with the XL 10-40w for 6 months, got tested and posted a clean bill of health! At sample time I changed to the new sig series 10-40w too so expecting similar results. Cheers, Jeff
Screen%20Shot%202015-07-22%20at%206.50.18%20AM_zpswqxi4x7l.png

Last edited:

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
FYI, I made the switch a couple of months ago to Amsoil AZF 0W-40 per UnleashedBeast's recommendations.

I would have never considered Amsoil until I read all 30 plus pages of this thread. The used oil analysis provided here is simply undeniable.

I was previously running Mobile 1. Now, my 2008 GT500, 2013 Expedition, and 2013 F150 run their own respective weights and viscosity of Amsoil.

Maxpowers

Established Member
Just changed my oil to 10w-40 Amsoil. I've read through most of these pages and don't see a recommended mileage to change your oil. My car will likely only see 2k a year with a few 1/4 passes thrown in. I think once a year might be a bit excessive?

Also in the process of changing the trans to Amsoil ATF. What's the interval for the trans?

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
Wow, so almost 90k hits and this is not a sticky? Sucks that I have to search to find this thread every time. Anyways, Troy/UB, I had a "cautionary" UOA last time so I took your advice and went with the XL 10-40w for 6 months, got tested and posted a clean bill of health! At sample time I changed to the new sig series 10-40w too so expecting similar results. Cheers, Jeff
Screen%20Shot%202015-07-22%20at%206.50.18%20AM_zpswqxi4x7l.png

I have a case of the 10w40 if anyone is interested. Had bought it for my car which was totaled :/

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just changed my oil to 10w-40 Amsoil. I've read through most of these pages and don't see a recommended mileage to change your oil. My car will likely only see 2k a year with a few 1/4 passes thrown in. I think once a year might be a bit excessive?

Also in the process of changing the trans to Amsoil ATF. What's the interval for the trans?

Change your engine oil once a year, right before you put it into storage. Do not start the car all winter, disconnect your battery, and put it on a trickle charger. Use fuel stabilizer in the tank. In the spring, take the car for a 1 hour drive to condition the lubricant. It will be ready for the rest of the year. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Transmission fluid, how about every 50,000 miles using Amsoil's Synthetic ATF.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks. I was referring to UB recommendation "Street use, no HPDE or closed course,...- AZF 0W-40" I didn't see an "AZF" but did notice the signature, that I linked, had and AZF in the part number. I think we are on the same page. Thanks again

AZF 0W-40 Signature Series is the lubricant you want to use, not the European formulation.

marc1

Established Member

Hi Jeff

What oil (brand and grade) gave you the high Pb?

Thanks,

Marc

will2115

Established Member
Lots of good info in here. I have a few questions. any input on royal purple 0w40 or 10w40? I read at least 20 pages on this thread didn't see any info on royal purple. Would you guys even recommend that brand I've heard RP's new formulas go head to head with amsoil.

DaFreak

Established Member
?... Did you mean you are now using the new AZF 0W-40 formulation from the recommendation list?

Yep, meant AZF 0W-40

Hi Jeff

What oil (brand and grade) gave you the high Pb?

Thanks,

Marc

Was running Amsoil AMO 10W-40 at the time but not sure this was the issue (ran it for years previously). There was a chance that I accidentally got some leaded fuel so assuming this caused the issue.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Lots of good info in here. I have a few questions. any input on royal purple 0w40 or 10w40? I read at least 20 pages on this thread didn't see any info on royal purple. Would you guys even recommend that brand I've heard RP's new formulas go head to head with amsoil.

Two problems I have with Royal Purple.

• Their base formulation is no longer a true synthetic. Read more here LINK. You can read the entire thread, but I directly linked you to the money post #10.
  • Their HPS formulation is shearing excessively. Every UOA sample of 5W-30 HPS sheared to a heavier 20 grade. This is NOT the characteristics of a true synthetic base oil.

This change occurred when the new bottles were released a couple of years ago, which coincides with Calumet's purchase of Royal Purple. If you Google search "Calumet Specialty Products Partners", then research what they specialize in, you will understand what happened to Royal Purple. Oh, let me save you the time. They hustle group III hydrocracked petroleum.

Last edited:

will2115

Established Member
Two problems I have with Royal Purple.

• Their base formulation is no longer a true synthetic. Read more here LINK. You can read the entire thread, but I directly linked you to the money post #10.
  • Their HPS formulation is shearing excessively. Every UOA sample of 5W-30 HPS sheared to a heavier 20 grade. This is NOT the characteristics of a true synthetic base oil.

This change occurred when the new bottles were released a couple of years ago, which coincides with Calumet's purchase of Royal Purple. If you Google search "Calumet Specialty Products Partners", then research what they specialize in, you will understand what happened to Royal Purple. Oh, let me save you the time. They hustle group III hydrocracked petroleum.

Thank you, makes me feel better. I bought 0w40 amsoil with their filter. Felt like I was pouring gold into the engine. I'm going to get some amsoil tranny fluid this weekend.

Paratrooper82

Established Member
UB everything in your recommendation list in post #1 is good for 13-14 as well correct? I noticed it says 07-12 and wasn't sure.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
UB everything in your recommendation list in post #1 is good for 13-14 as well correct? I noticed it says 07-12 and wasn't sure.

There are differences in recommendations due to Ford's change in gear oil. Here is the 2013+ list.

Factory engine fill is 8.5 quarts

Amsoil AZF 0W-40 – Use this no matter what thermostat is in your engine and the car is used for street /drag use only.

Amsoil AMR 5W-50 – Use this if you HPDE or closed course race your GT500. Also use this lubricant if you are afraid to use anything other than what Ford recommends.

Amsoil EaO11 oil filter - 98.7% efficiency @ 20 microns, yet still flow better than a Motorcraft FL-820 (only 93.7% efficiency @ 20 microns).

Make your T6060 transmission shift like butter.

Amsoil Synthetic ATF - 3.6 quart fill (non-track pack) add one quart for the extra track pack transmission cooler

Bottle Hand Pump - fits quarts and gallons (makes refilling the transmission and rear differential very easy)

For your rear differential

Amsoil 75W-90 – 2 quart fill (non-track pack) add one extra quart for the track pack differential cooler.

Friction modifier is only required in the standard clutch pack differential. Do not use it in the gear type Torsen included with the track pack option.

Amsoil Slip Lock - 1 bottle required

Amsoil Fuel Stabilizer - Use 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons of gasoline when storing your car in the winter.

and never pay retail price for it. Get it at dealer cost by adding this to your cart before you check out (save 20-25% on everything).

Preferred Customer

If you ever have any questions, please let me know.

stormy69

Established Member
its great you have recommended lubes at the beginning, but i would like to see a "top 3" list that would offer some latitude when amsoil isn't available and i have an immediate need. my son recently purchased a 13 gt500 (with track pack) and needs to change the oil yesterday and wants to do it today. It looks like mobile 1 0w-40 or 10w-40 would be good alternatives from the UAO chart, or did i miss something?

if i missed this in the thread forgive me, its exhaustive!

Last edited:

stormy69

Established Member
after seeing a post about it on teamshelby, i should add that he lives in Cheyenne Wyoming and we plan to take it to a road course in vegas in may/june so suggestions for that would be great also.

Users who are viewing this thread