Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NuclearPower

Established Member
Beast: Based on the TBN number for the 2 amsoil 10-40 samples in the chart it looks like they could have lasted must longer than the 4XXXmiles that was clocked before changing...am I reading that right? Not saying that I am going to go beyond 5000 miles, just curious. Thanks:rockon:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast: Based on the TBN number for the 2 amsoil 10-40 samples in the chart it looks like they could have lasted must longer than the 4XXXmiles that was clocked before changing...am I reading that right? Not saying that I am going to go beyond 5000 miles, just curious. Thanks:rockon:

You are correct. Amsoil guarantees the lubricant to be used 15,000 miles or one year under their severe service schedule. Dumping it at 4,000 miles means I wasted good oil. Heck, maybe I should have saved it for the lawn mowers.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So what interval do folks suggest we use for oil changes? 5,000 miles?

That honestly depends on....

1. What oil you are using.

2. What filter you are using.

3. What the owner is comfortable with (people have an OCD about keeping their oil changed even if they are wasting good oil).

Most people are using engine lubricants that will easily perform from 5,000-7,500 miles. True synthetics like Royal Purple and Red Line are good up to 10,000+, and Amsoil on the severe service schedule is good for up to 15,000 miles. Mobil 1 EP is also rated for 15,000.

Last edited:

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Well do the miles matter depending on the drivers driving style? I can see 15k miles being okay if you baby the car, but what if you beat on it like a redheaded step child?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Well do the miles matter depending on the drivers driving style? I can see 15k miles being okay if you baby the car, but what if you beat on it like a redheaded step child?

Think of it this way. If you are putting 15,000 miles on your car per year, that means you are probably on the highway ~50% of the time, and not always beating on the car. For instance, my last UOA with Amsoil 10W-30 was probably 30% highway and 70% city/WOT racing beating the car out of the car. The previous UOA of 10W-40 was about the same 30/70 mix. Both oil samples had so much TBN content, you could have used the oil for another 8,000-10,000 miles.

If your car never sees the highway, and only 2,000-3,000 miles per year of WOT and racing. Only change your oil once a year. No sense in wasting it more than this.

Most people have an OCD and would never run their oil this long. They drop it around 5,000 miles on cars that see ~10,000 more more miles per year. There is no need when using a lubricant like Amsoil, but if you want to spend the money, no harm no foul. I'm going to use the current fill of 10W-30 until the UOA tells me the additives in it are almost used up, or the one year interval occur.

Every car in my fleet only receives 1 year oil changes. The Shelby was the exception while testing different viscosity grades of oil.

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
Shouldn't you wait for the long intervals until after all the lube stuff get cleaned up? Silicon for example.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You are correct. Amsoil guarantees the lubricant to be used 15,000 miles or one year under their severe service schedule. Dumping it at 4,000 miles means I wasted good oil. Heck, maybe I should have saved it for the lawn mowers.

The guarantee does not apply to modified cars, correct? In the fine print, notice it says unmodified.

"SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Premium Protection Motor Oil is recommended for extended intervals in unmodified, mechanically-sound vehicles or equipment as follows:"

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Shouldn't you wait for the long intervals until after all the lube stuff get cleaned up? Silicon for example.

I agree, when it comes to wear metals and other engine impurities from the assembly process. This is a good idea, and another reason why I didn't use the lubricant longer in the GT500.

The guarantee does not apply to modified cars, correct? In the fine print, notice it says unmodified.

"SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Premium Protection Motor Oil is recommended for extended intervals in unmodified, mechanically-sound vehicles or equipment as follows:"

This is a CYA (cover your ass) statement from Amsoil. It more biased on carbureted engines that have fuel dilution problems and other temperamental engines. So far....the lubricants testing in my engine haven't suffered from these issues being modified. Can the lubricant do it, I have no doubt. It's it the best procedure for everyone, not likely. My GT500 would never see 15,000 miles driven per year, maybe only 4,000-5,000.

Best case scenario that will work for everyone is two oil changes per year, every six months for people that drive their car daily. For those that don't, once a year oil changes will do fine.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I hear ya and it is standard language across oil companies but worth noting.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Alright Beast...Finished the oil change yesterday using Amsiol 10W-40 (high zinc), with the EAO11 oil filter and also with the EAAU6080 air filter. I like the robust feel of the oil filter. I seems very solid - like the Mobil 1 that I am used too. BUT there are 3 things about the air filter that I do NOT like...so please help me out here. First, the end is not open like the others with inward cone filters, okay, so thats a nit pick. Second, it does not have a wire screen on the inside like the OEM Ford filter - I understand that is probably extra protection, but still, it makes the OEM seems a bit more robust. Third, and the one thing that bothered me the most, the flange was 6 inches, but the OEM CAI is only about 5.5 to 5.75 at most. There was a huge gap taht I had to tighten down the Amsiol filter clamp a LOT. Didn't feel right doing that. I am a little concerned that it is going to 'slip' off. Yes, just like that Magnum size that I tried once:D

Should have another MC sample with 4900 miles for you soon assuming that it doesn't :xpl:like the last sample. This time I checked email and not snail mail. I'll let everybody know my impressions tuesday. I will fill up today and then I will need to fill up again on tuesday so...

6-Speed

Established Member
The EAAU6080 Air Filter fits good on the Ford Racing CAI for the 2007 to 2009 GT500. I don't believe it is compatible with the 2010+ GT500 intake.

NuclearPower

Established Member
It is the closet in size, shape, etc that amsoil lists. I figured I would give it a shot. Is there a down side to having to tighten the flange so much? Anybody?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Soon as I read your post my first thought was....

"Is he trying to use a EAAU6080 on the 2010+ factory air intake?"

This isn't going to work. The 6080, as posted by 6 speed, only works with the FRPP 113mm CAI for the 2007-2009 GT500 cars. The only filter that is confirmed to work with your factory intake is the Airaid filter. For now, please reinstall your factory air filter, return the Amsoil filter for credit, and purchase the NON-oiled version filter from Airaid.

Airaid Filter

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
Okay, so filled up last night...My initial impressions of using Amsoil:

Car seems to start up from cold much easier-turns over faster, less harsh sounding.

I did seem to gain maybe 1 mpg. Way too soon to tell, but I had been averaging 20 mpg and yesterday it was 20.8 mpg - but I was going home faster than usual. I will leave mpg judgement until another day.

I know you said to reuse the old filter, but it is so black...I just made sure that the 6080 was good and tight...still on good, no slippage. I will end up ordering the Airaid shortly for the replacement though.

So all in all I think that I am going to replace all the fluids with Amsoil sometime next year (trans, diff, supercharger, maybe even the wifes car).

Thanks Beast - although I think that I need to keep reminding you that I have a 2012:poke:so that you give me the correct part numbers:)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Car seems to start up from cold much easier-turns over faster, less harsh sounding.

I had the same experience, and was noted by other users as well.

I did seem to gain maybe 1 mpg. Way too soon to tell, but I had been averaging 20 mpg and yesterday it was 20.8 mpg - but I was going home faster than usual. I will leave mpg judgement until another day.

The best way to tell is by taking road trips you have driven and calculated your mpg more than once. This is what I did. Then you have a good baseline to compare against.

I know you said to reuse the old filter, but it is so black...I just made sure that the 6080 was good and tight...still on good, no slippage. I will end up ordering the Airaid shortly for the replacement though.

Thanks Beast - although I think that I need to keep reminding you that I have a 2012:poke:so that you give me the correct part numbers:)

The Airaid is your #1 choice for the stock intake on the 2010+ cars. Sorry if I gave you the wrong part number assuming you had an older car. :read:

So all in all I think that I am going to replace all the fluids with Amsoil sometime next year (trans, diff, supercharger, maybe even the wifes car).

all of my cars use it, and all of the family cars as well. They come to me saying they notice more mpg as well.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I noticed that there is a lot of talk about using Amsoil 10W-40. Amsoil sells a 5W-40. Any thoughts on using the 5W-40 Amsoil instead?

I do not recommend the use of Amsoil 5W-40. It's a European formulation that doesn't contain as robust of an additive package. The cold flow performance difference, what little there is, will not concern many Shelby or Boss owners too much since they store their cars all winter.

It's not worth losing the additive pack of the 10W-40.

GT50008

Established Member
I do not recommend the use of Amsoil 5W-40. It's a European formulation that doesn't contain as robust of an additive package. The cold flow performance difference, what little there is, will not concern many Shelby or Boss owners too much since they store their cars all winter.

It's not worth losing the additive pack of the 10W-40.

Thank you.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Another MC sample

Beast...I just emailed you a pdf of my most recent oil analysis from MC 5W-50 with 4900 miles.

Please remember that mine is the 2012, all aluminum block...:poke:Don't forget that you already have my first sample also:poke:

Just kidding...I think that it shows the engine is doing good and most everything has flushed out. Am I right??? Thanks for the diagnosis.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread