Oil capacity?

Tank

Established Member
You might want to check that, I think the owners manual says 6.5 quarts.

Blackcobra

Established Member
I changed my oil (and oil filter) yesterday. The SVT supplemental manual that came with the car (in addition to the base manual) says 6.0 quarts with a new filter. However, my car took about 6.75... which made me nervous because I know too much oil is bad.... First I added five and half and checked... it was way too low, so then I went to six and checked... and it was still way too low, so then I went to six and a quarter... and it was low, so I went to six and half... and it was still not up on both sides of the dipstick, so I went to 6.75 and saw that it was more or less fine so I stopped there (a little freaked out). So the SVT Cobra supplement says 6.0 with a new filter, but I was cautious and got to 6.75 before feeling it was right.

Note this was regular 5W-20, not Mobil 1 or another synthetic if that would ever somehow matter in an alternative universe.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I like it in the middle of full and add...6.5 qts

Six quarts will only get you to the "add" line...

Hammer

Established Member
Well, I'm glad to see that I'm no different from everyone else. Mine took about 6.75 quarts on both oil changes to date (one at 600 miles and one at 2500 miles).

Next oil change I'm going with synthetic.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Well, I guess I'm the freak here - 6 quarts got me to just below the max. indicator on the dipstick. Car has been sitting for the last 7 hours, just checked it after reading this thread, so I know that the oil has had a chance to trickle down through the heads. :burnout:

3rdstang

Established Member
Well, just changed mine today and mine was around 6.75. Thanks for the helps folks.

Cobra'03

Established Member
A little overfill almost never harms cars - they are often "spec'd" on the low side to drive down the cost of ownership fuguring done by fleet sales mgrs. and nits like at Cnsumer Reports.

Keep in mind that oil expands when it is hot, and will read a bit higher than oil that is cold - so it is really an even up for checking - you can wait a week and get a good reading, or wait 5 minutes and get a good reading, even though some oil is still trickling down to the pan.

It is not all that critical either way, but I would fill to the line or just above to have as much oil available as you can - helps it slough off heat.

david smilovic

Established Member
I disagree,on an OHV design you can overfill to your hearts content.On an OHC design you can blow seals in a drastic overfill condition.I am having Ford do my 1st change and a new drivers side cylinder head to correct a factory defect on my #3 plug STRIPPED,seems I have to get the head direct from Dearborn assembly line none in USA.
I would suggest 6.25 quarts and watching it next day when at operating condition,carry the remainder of the 7th QT. and add as required after 20 minutes of oil drain back to pan on as even a surface as you can find.I built my garage 99%+ flat so I get a good indication and all these cars will vary by 1/4-1/2 a Qt..Take it serious I have changed seals on foirly new cars and so far with my Ford dealings seems like Cobra means be suspicious of customer.Good Luck Dave S.
PS on the GREAT SIDE unlike many GM HI-PO motors 0 oil useage from mile 1.Those who own LS1 and LS6 motors relize that normal which is 0-a 1/4 pint on hard break in was a luxury for the GM OHV 5.7.These motors are GREAT cant wait for my shiny car with the new head or possibly heads if I can work a deal with Ford on installing a set of my own creations ,Im really scared they will think I ruined the motor to get a free install it is a big job.Dave

1svtcobra

Established Member
So thats why my oil was low with only a 100 miles on it. Ford must have only put 6 qts in. Interesting info. Thanks.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I meant to ask this question the other day. I looked in the SVT supplament and it says 6q. When I changed the oil a few days ago I put in 6.5q.

Jevans74

Established Member
Becareful how much oil you put in your snakes. I had a 99 Cobra that would barely read above the add line on the dipstick when six quarts had just been added. I called SVT about this and they said that the problem was the dipstick. Cobra's are made on the same line as the GT so you will have a GT a Cobra 10 or more so GT's then another Cobra so on down the production line. Apprently the line workers have a bad habit of putting the GT part# dipsticks in just about all the Mustangs. You have to really pay attention to notice that it's a Cobra and pick out the Cobra dipstick and you know how complacent line work can be. SVT told me to go to my dealer and have them order a dipstick for the Cobra but I never got around to it.

a94cobra

Established Member
Are you trying to say that the dipstick isn't put there when they are builing the engine? But on the line? That can't be right.

Jevans74

Established Member
That's what I thought when SVT told me what they did. Beats the hell out of me. But apparently the problem was I had a oil dipstick made for a GT engine and not the Cobra engine. How it got there is anyones guess but a lot of people seem to have this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread