oil cooler install problems

b_dike

Established Member
Ok a while back I noticed a leak from the weep hole in my cooler. Pulled the cooler off the car and pulled the heat exchange out and sure enough one of my o-rings was chewed up. Replaced the o-rings today and put the cooler back on the car, but when I started it up it was leaking from everywhere. Mostly from the front where the filter screws on.

So my question is: Does the H/E sit flush inside cooler housing to where the outer o-ring doesn't show or is it supposed to protrude a little bit like mine does.

Plus I may have a whole other problem. When I took the cooler off the second time oil spilled from the hose that leads to the t-stat. Does this mean I have oil mixed with my coolant, and how big of a problem is that.

In total I started the car 3 times today for a matter of seconds. Not sure how far that would have circulated the oil through the system if at all.

Need help please... At my wits end... :??:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
There is also a gasket between the oil filter adapter/oil cooler/coolant inlet, that coolant and oil both go through.

images

Make sure that is not damaged.

b_dike

Established Member
Thanks for the tip Jimmy, but apparently I didn't have the smaller opening of the housing fully seated which is why it was leaking so bad. Fine now though.

Do you think I will have a problem with oil in the coolant? How serious of a problem is that?
Should I flush the system?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for all your help. This website has been a lifesaver(Terminator Bible) for me.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Just pull your dipstick and see if your oil is contaminated with coolant. Also check your coolant for signs of o

b_dike

Established Member
ok so I added 7qrts of oil and my dipstick is bone dry. Let the car run for couple of mins. Seriously no more than 2-3mins. Dipstick still dry plus a lil white smoke is coming from the tailpipes and coolant is puking through the reservoir cap. While puking I losend the crossover cap until I heard gas escaping and it stopped puking.

WTH is going on here.

Hope I didnt just ruin my motor.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ok so I added 7qrts of oil and my dipstick is bone dry. Let the car run for couple of mins. Seriously no more than 2-3mins. Dipstick still dry plus a lil white smoke is coming from the tailpipes and coolant is puking through the reservoir cap. While puking I losend the crossover cap until I heard gas escaping and it stopped puking.

WTH is going on here.

Hope I didnt just ruin my motor.

Did you re-fill the coolant according to the no-longer top secret "burp-fill procedure"?

Allow a minimum of about 15 minutes for drain down after running these engines after an oil fill before checking the level. There is no way 7 quarts of oil will not show up on your dip stick unless it is running out onto the floor with the drain plug off.:( Or you have a serious problem.

Last edited:

b_dike

Established Member
I think my oil cooler is damaged. Pretty sure that oil is crossing over into the coolant side and pushing out my coolant through the reservoir cap. Which would explain the lack of oil in the oil pan. Also the white smoke is probably coolant crossing into the oil passages and burning.

That's what I think is going on anyway. Does this sound about right to you???

Will pull the cooler back off soon, to see if it is damaged.

NO I didn't follow the procedures on burbing the system as I was just checking for leaks from the cooler. After I confirmed there were no leaks I was going to burb the system, but noticed this problem instead.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I think my oil cooler is damaged. Pretty sure that oil is crossing over into the coolant side and pushing out my coolant through the reservoir cap. Which would explain the lack of oil in the oil pan. Also the white smoke is probably coolant crossing into the oil passages and burning.

That's what I think is going on anyway. Does this sound about right to you???

Will pull the cooler back off soon, to see if it is damaged.

NO I didn't follow the procedures on burbing the system as I was just checking for leaks from the cooler. After I confirmed there were no leaks I was going to burb the system, but noticed this problem instead.

Ouch that is not good. If coolant goes the other way and goes into the oil that is very bad and can rapidly corrode a lot of critically important stuff. Make sure that hasn't happened. If it has you will want to drain the coolant and try to purge the oiling system to remove any coolant remaining.

Users who are viewing this thread