Ok "newbie" with a dumb question

3rdstang

Established Member
Ok I am fairly new to this board (but not the internet I invented it.. no wait thats Al Gore) and new to fuel injected mustangs (other 2 where a turbo charged 4 banger and a 85 GT that I put a HO351SVO in) What EXACTLY is traction control on the 03? I have heard answers that it does everything from retard the timing to apply your brakes for you. Any good useful answers are appreciated! Thanks guys and gals

03rocks

Established Member
It's useless. It makes the car skip and sputter and totally lose all of its forward momentum. It can be very dangerous if you do somethin stupid like pull out in front of someone with it on. That is part of the startin the car routine is turnin that freakin thing off. It's really too bad Ford can't figure out a traction control system that is actually useful. The Corvette C-5 traction control seemed to work a heck of a lot better than Fords version.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Basically it's a sensor monitored by the computer. When one of your rear wheeks spins much faster than the other it'll trigger a "traction event". Your get a visual indication on the instrument cluster and the car will basically misfire to slow you down. I know this is the wrong terminology. As it's more of a retard function. What makes it really suck is when it engages you car will act as if it's dying, nose dive and all. Leave it on and you'll never get the tires to spin. Hope this answers your question.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I'm going to stab here... not that I am sure...

First.. I think the system checks the difference between the front wheels and the rear wheels....

If it detects something outside of a parameter it then takes action in the form of reduction of timing.. and can do other things up to and including applying brakes.

As far as getting the wheels spinning.. I've launched at 3500 with the trac control on.. got 6' or more of twin stripes... got 6' going into second gear.

When I did the same thing with trac control off.. I got 30' in first gear and I was lifting on the gas almost immediately trying to get the beast under control. Got about 12' going into second.

Users who are viewing this thread