orange peel

Tispho

Established Member
ok, I don't know what orange peel is?

orange_peel_small.jpg

Hah j/k this is the orange peel we're talking about.
auto_paint_orange_peel_lg.jpg

Tispho

Established Member
I'm not going to try it. I would like to find a good shop to do this.:shrug:

You don't want to find a good "shop", what you want to find is a good detailer. Be prepared to fork out some big bucks to wetsand an entire car. I would not recommend it on factory finishes as there is not enough clear coat to start with.

Last edited:

venom04svt

Established Member
You don't want to find a good "shop", what you want to find is a good detailer. Be prepared to fork out some big bucks to wetsand an entire car. I would not recommend it on factory finishes as there is not enough clear coat to start with.

The car has been repainted...i don't know ANYONE that would buy a new car that has orange peel in the paint..

Tispho

Established Member
The car has been repainted...i don't know ANYONE that would buy a new car that has orange peel in the paint..

Dodge and other Chrysler products are known to have heavy orange peel from factory. Most people don't care though, since its consistent throughout the whole car.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member

I'm not sure what in the world you are talking about. Take your COBRA out in the sun & see how much "factoyr" orange peel it has. I was the original owner of my 04 COBRA & it was never repainted, It came that way from FORD.

Understand this... Just because a car has some orange peel, does not mean that the car has been repainted man.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

most cars have some degree of orange peel in the paint. Just because you dont notice it, doesnt mean its not there. Only cars that dont or have almost none are ones with high end finishes, like high end Mercedes, BMW, Exotics, etc. the more mass produced the car is, the less they spend on finishing them.

After a few details, my orange peel on my 03/04 Cobra was significantly reduced. My 98 GST barely has any, my moms 02 Neon is horrid, and our 06 Tahoe is pretty smooth. My 02 GT was pretty bad on flat surfaces, and was black to boot.

You need to wetsand to remove orange peel, however you also need to gauge the thickness of the clear to ensure you have enough clear to remove to get the results you want, and that you are leaving enough on the paint after you are done to protect it. Wetsanding to remove orange peel is a very long and tedious process, and should be left to the best of the best "detailers", not just some body shop.

SVT2122

Established Member
^ Even mercedes has a ton of orange peel from the factory. I've never seen one thats near flat.

Orange Peel

Established Member
I'm not sure what in the world you are talking about. Take your COBRA out in the sun & see how much "factoyr" orange peel it has. I was the original owner of my 04 COBRA & it was never repainted, It came that way from FORD.

Understand this... Just because a car has some orange peel, does not mean that the car has been repainted man.

You're right my 04 CO was a 10,000mile car never repainted and it has orange peel all over it, I now after some asshat keyed it after I just got it have to invest $700 to get a rear quarter repainted and will have all the orange peel removed then.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Most auto manufacturers will intentionally leave a certain degree of orange peel in the paint. This helps hide small nicks and dings and is much more forgiving as the vehicle ages. Just like stone guard is often used from the factory on lower edges of many vehicles. Wet sanding and polishing is the only way to reduce/remove it.

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02626.jpg

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Most auto manufacturers will intentionally leave a certain degree of orange peel in the paint. This helps hide small nicks and dings and is much more forgiving as the vehicle ages. Just like stone guard is often used from the factory on lower edges of many vehicles. Wet sanding and polishing is the only way to reduce/remove it.

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02626.jpg

if i had a dollar for everytime you posted that pic, id be browsing the lambo forums by now.

Users who are viewing this thread