Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale?

JMoraru

Established Member
Alright, so I am nearing graduation and looking for a job. I have received an internship with a great company doing exactly what I want to do in my career. During the internship, I will be stationed in one of the offices and whichever one I am in is going to be where I begin my career.

I am 23 years old and am currently engaged. Also,we have a 7 month old daughter. We are lively young people, but want a good place to start a family. We have both visited Florida and love the beach, but have never lived there. I know Orlando is not the beach, but it isnt too far either.

Some pros/cons of each:
1. Orlando is about 4 hours closer to where we grew up which may make it slightly easier to move and have visitors.
2. Orlando seems more family oriented? What else is good about Orlando other than theme parks? Ive done some research and some say there isnt much else.
3. Ft.Lauderdale is more of the beach atmosphere which I LOVE the beach and she does as well.
4. Ft. Lauderdale seems more expensive. We will be renting for a year and then possibly looking to own a home. I dont want to only be able to afford a home in the ghetto.

I have been to both cities, but it has been years and i dont remember too many details. How is the crime in both cities? How is the cultural diversity of each?

Also, as it stands I am competing for the position in Orlando unless I want Ft.Lauderdale which I have already been offered.

JasonSnake

Established Member
What kind of job are you talking?

I.T. jobs in Miami metro area are a no-go. Orlando on the other hand has better opp's for technology jobs.

bam

Established Member
Based solely on the fact that I went to school in Athens and now live in Orlando, come here.

It's not a bad city at all. Downtown is nice, and there's fun to be had there. Universal and Disney and all their peripheral parks are nearby if you want to do the tourist thing. And if you don't, there are some really good places with a better atmosphere hidden all over the city.

*SVT*

What next?
Established Member
I live in West Palm Beach. I lived in Broward County for years. I still have a lot of family down there. Depending on what part of town you live in either one could be better or worse. Being 4 hours closer is nice.

Brian97vobra

Established Member
Well you seemed to already answer most of your questions.
Don't discount Orlando because of the tourist stuff. It has a very lively downtown area with lots of stuff to do. And i'd much rather raise a family there than in Ft Lauderdale.
I live in West Palm Beach now and wouldn't want to live any further south than here. The further south you go the more populated it is, more expensive, and more crime. No thanks.

UncleAnt

Established Member
I live in ft lauderdale/Hollywood now and visit Orlando atleast once a month to hang out.I'm 24 and like going out at night and having things to do so ft lauderdale was a obvious choice to me.bars and clubs are open later and theres alot more of them to pick from.There's fishing and general beach stuff you can do all the time.your totally correct about the rent it is not cheap at all if you live close to the water

You being Engaged with a young daughter I would probably pick Orlando.plenty of stuff to entertain you and the wife till around 230am and plenty of stuff for you to take the kid to.it's not real close to the beach but the rent will be better depending on where you move.in all honestly there's Alot more drug activity down here and Alot more people that seem like they have to try and prove they are drug dealers or millionaires.it's
Not a bad place but for a young family I'd shy away from it

And the girls down here definelty "open up" Alot easier to you,better off in Orlando if your trying to settle down

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
go where you have the job offer, in this economy don't turn down jobs in fields you like when the difference between the two is one city in the same state vs. another. It is not like you are deciding to move across the country.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well you seemed to already answer most of your questions.
Don't discount Orlando because of the tourist stuff. It has a very lively downtown area with lots of stuff to do. And i'd much rather raise a family there than in Ft Lauderdale.
I live in West Palm Beach now and wouldn't want to live any further south than here. The further south you go the more populated it is, more expensive, and more crime. No thanks.

This! My wife has family in the Ft. Lauderdale area and crime is getting worse and worse. They have lived there all their lives, and when her aunt goes out shopping, she always has a family member with her for safety reasons. It's not what it used to be. Orlando IMO would be a much better choice.

OP, have you considered the Florida west coast? The Sarasota or Naples/Ft. Meyers areas? When my wife and I visit Florida (my mom lives in Bradenton) we really enjoy the Sarasota area.

JMoraru

Established Member
This! My wife has family in the Ft. Lauderdale area and crime is getting worse and worse. They have lived there all their lives, and when her aunt goes out shopping, she always has a family member with her for safety reasons. It's not what it used to be. Orlando IMO would be a much better choice.

OP, have you considered the Florida west coast? The Sarasota or Naples/Ft. Meyers areas? When my wife and I visit Florida (my mom lives in Bradenton) we really enjoy the Sarasota area.
Well, these two cities were the ones I was offered. They have a few more Florida locations, but they are full. I hope I will like either city, but if not I can hopefully try to relocate after a few years.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
I say Orlando as well. My friend lives in Lake Mary, FL, about 18 miles north of downtown Orlando. Really cool place to live imo.

Plus stay closer to family, Im sure your parents would love to be closer to there grandkids, and you and the wife.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
Orlando is cool because it has lots of outer suburbs cities that are nice areas. Winter Park, Winter Springs, Altamonte, Oviedo, etc. But Orlando also has plenty of crappy areas too. The closest beach is about 50-60 minutes away.

I've been to Ft. Lauderdale a bunch of times and most of the area is nice. Have quite a few friends from there and they love it. I'd much rather live there to be closer to the beach. Having to drive an hour to the beach gets tiring.

And either way, brush up on your spanish.

JMoraru

Established Member
Looks like I am going to Ft. Lauderdale for the internship and we will see what the future brings. I am really looking forward to it, but am a bit nervous. Although it is further from the family I figure it will be easier to fly once in a while anyways. Plus I love the idea of living so close to the beach:banana:

Ironhand

Banned
Neither. lol

Depending on how far you are wanting to drive look in Lakeland, FL. Its a big little city, but an hour away from Tampa and Orlando.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
If given the option, Orlando for sure. All 4 major sports represented within an hour, better nightlife, more centrally located in FL, more job oportunities, suburbs the lost goes on.

But PSUCOBRA96 is spot on. In this economy, go where the offer is.

Brian97vobra

Established Member
Looks like I am going to Ft. Lauderdale for the internship and we will see what the future brings. I am really looking forward to it, but am a bit nervous. Although it is further from the family I figure it will be easier to fly once in a while anyways. Plus I love the idea of living so close to the beach:banana:

lol i guess you don't care what we all say... Pretty sure almost everyone recommended Orlando over Ft. Lauderdale. hahahahaha

UncleAnt

Established Member
If given the option, Orlando for sure. All 4 major sports represented within an hour, better nightlife, more centrally located in FL, more job oportunities, suburbs the lost goes on.

But PSUCOBRA96 is spot on. In this economy, go where the offer is.

Lol at better nightlife that's not true at all,Orlando has church street that's really about it.as cool as that place is the entire east coast of lower Florida ie. West palm,ft lauderdale,Miami absolutely lives at night.everywhere you go there is a concert,bar,club something to do and it doesn't close till 5am
Or later

I'll still agree I wouldn't be a young family in this area it's more about partying

Users who are viewing this thread