Paint on door handle

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Hey guys.
I have my car parked for the winter and took it out of the garage the other day. I park it close to the wall so my Fiance has lots of room for her car.
So I go to pull it back in and I must have had a brain fart and was too close. My door handle rubbed on the trim around the garage door pretty hard and the paint came off onto my door handle.
I dont think it scratched too bad or did much damage. How should I take this paint off safely?
Its really on there and doesn't want to come off easily.
I thought maybe nail polish remover or something like that?
Any ideas are appreciated. This is really bugging me as I keep my car pretty damn clean and read this forum regularly and have learned a ton about detailing from it.
Thanks guys,
Ryan.

Jim D.

Established Member
You'll probably have your best luck with a clay bar. It may take a little bit of effort, but it should come off. Try an aggressive pro clay if an over-the-counter clay doesn't cut it.

Follow with a cleaner wax or your regular polish/wax products.

Avoid nail polish remover as many are acetone-based and will ruin the finish.

Lord Warlock

Established Member
A decent compound polish will usually take it off fairly quick, may take a little effort and then you'll have to repolish with whatever you normally use and rewax afterwards. On particularly nasty rubs i've used 2000 grit wetsanding paper, compound, polish, wax to get it out. I'm one to talk though, i have a visible scratch (can't feel it) on my handle right now, and i've been too lazy to work it out. Got kind of burned out repainting a neighbors car/wetsanding and buffing it out afterwards and now I have to do the wife's car and the svt. It never seems to end.

Users who are viewing this thread