Paint vs Powder on Stock Rims

KeltonB

Established Member
Hi guys,

I am looking at picking up a set of 01/02 stock rims for my 04 DSG. I really like the aggressive look of that year style.

I want to do the rims in black and was wondering what is the best way to go about it? Paint or powder coat? I know the center caps will have to be painted either way, but as far as durability, wouldn't the rims do better if they were powder coated?

I was also wondering about the lug nuts? I guess they can be powder coated too?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Kelton

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
just had mine painted...took them to get the tires mounted and they scratched one. Powdercoating is the way to go, but we have no shops that do that here. Oh well, the price was right and I can touch them up. They look great...I'll try to get you pics tonight.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
i'm getting mine powder coated next week hopefully....was hopeing this week but aparently they might take a full week....oh well, i'll wait as it only cost $200 and they do a good job from what i hear. i'll post some pics as soon as their done.

chiz

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
yeah I love the look of the 01-02 rims I think they are the better looking out of all the stock wheels, I am getting a extra set to paint them black, I wanted to powder coat but there is no places here that do that.

Bootie

Established Member
The difference is that powdercoating is much harder and more durable than paint. It's also more chemical resistant. The downsides I guess would be lack of color selection for powder, but that's grown in the last few years.

If it were me I'd powdercoat if they were my daily driver wheels. That being said, I'm actually painting my stock set so I can run drag radials from time to time.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
SnipeJDM said:
The downsides I guess would be lack of color selection for powder, but that's grown in the last few years.

A good powdercoater can do almost any color now. :thumbsup:

TallOkie

Guess Im a Vette guy now
Established Member
some powdercoated pics:

stance.gif

DSCN0135.gif

DSCN0134.gif

DSCN0149.gif

Bootie

Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
A good powdercoater can do almost any color now. :thumbsup:
I figured they probably could, but wasn't quite sure. I know powdercoating has really took off business-wise.

I just pulled out my Eastwood catalog :read: . That's a neat little kit they offer in there and they have quite a big selection of colors.

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
The shop that powdercoated my wheels could've done just about any color you can think of, they had some sample objects that were powdercoated neon green and other odd colors.

203Cree

Established Member
Not bad if you do basic colors. I might have found a place local that will do them pretty cheap. Gonna go up to pick up a motor cycle frame. I'll get a quote from them then and let you know. :)

N8dogg

Silver...
Established Member
My wheels are HIGH gloss, got the paint stripped, powdercoated and center caps painted black for $213, I did the polishing and masking myself!! Like said before a good powdercoater can do almost any color, my guy has a HUGE color sheet!

take a look...:thumbsup:
sidetruck.gif

blackwheel4.gif

bmfgsxr

Established Member
just painted my 03 wheels satin black.. im quite happy with how they came out.

powder coating is a better way to go, but in the mean time this will do.. if they get really shitty looking, chipped, etc.. ill fork out the cash for powder coating.

DCP_0676.jpg

DCP_0677.gif

DCP_0678.jpg

KeltonB

Established Member
Thanks guys!! It looks like powder coat is the way to go. There is a good place here in Raleigh that I have used before to do some brass furniture (take a look at their gallery at http://www.topcoatinc.net/)

It looks like most of those with dark rims are just leaving the lugs chrome.

These are my favorite, they look really dark gray instead of black...I think this is what I'm going to go with.

wheels.jpg

Any more insight/photos welcome!

Thanks again,

Kelton

EZ SPEED

Boost Kills !!!!!!!
Established Member
SnipeJDM said:
Eastwood catalog :read: . That's a neat little kit they offer in there and they have quite a big selection of colors.

Yeah, I have the Eastwood Powder Coating kit and have powder coated nearly everything under my hood on my Gen 1 and Gen 2 :coolman:

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Here are a couple of my old 2001 Lightning with chrome black powdercoated wheels.
snake005yt5.jpg

blchrome005ax3.jpg

blchrome006ob9.jpg

snake006nk5.jpg

TallOkie

Guess Im a Vette guy now
Established Member
KeltonB said:
Thanks guys!! It looks like powder coat is the way to go. There is a good place here in Raleigh that I have used before to do some brass furniture (take a look at their gallery at http://www.topcoatinc.net/)

It looks like most of those with dark rims are just leaving the lugs chrome.

These are my favorite, they look really dark gray instead of black...I think this is what I'm going to go with.

wheels.jpg

Any more insight/photos welcome!

Thanks again,

Kelton

Saweet.....more love points for my baby:pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread