-pics- HDR pics of the 10th

bubbrubb

I'd like to see #5 non hdr, medium exposure. :)

I'll let you post that pic you just sent me. IMO I think the car looks mean as hell in it, the pic might be a bit dark, but its definitely a fitting theme :rockon:

medium exposure, as requested:
IMG_5022.jpg

HDR for comparison's sake:
IMG_5022_3_4.jpg

edit: in looking at that, I think I like the non HDR more :shrug: :lol1:
Same with a lot of the pictures to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
I'll let you post that pic you just sent me. IMO I think the car looks mean as hell in it, the pic might be a bit dark, but its definitely a fitting theme :rockon:

medium exposure, as requested:
IMG_5022.jpg

HDR for comparison's sake:
IMG_5022_3_4.jpg

edit: in looking at that, I think I like the non HDR more :shrug: :lol1:
Same with a lot of the pictures to be honest.

Exactly. HDR works in such a way that everything in your photo, not just your main subject, is highlighted equally. If you look at automotive HDR pictures, nearly every one of them has a really distracting background, thats why I think HDR is best reserved for landscapes with tricky light situations...such as this one I did. If I had done a short exposure, all you would be able to see would be the wall, longer and it would be totally blasted out by the sun. HDR was created entirely for the purpose of solving this problem.

4.jpg

EDIT:

Here is velocitt's #5 re-edited by me to give it more attitude like #1
sick.jpg

Last edited:

bubbrubb

Exactly. HDR works in such a way that everything in your photo, not just your main subject, is highlighted equally. If you look at automotive HDR pictures, nearly every one of them has a really distracting background, thats why I think HDR is best reserved for landscapes with tricky light situations...such as this one I did. If I had done a short exposure, all you would be able to see would be the wall, longer and it would be totally blasted out by the sun. HDR was created entirely for the purpose of solving this problem.

EDIT:

Here is velocitt's #5 re-edited by me to give it more attitude like #1
I thought it was done to pick up the details that one exposure would miss because they'll come out either too bright or too dark. Either way I used that trick on some shots of my friends' cars I took yesterday and made it way less dramatic than the re-edit you did for me, and I think it had some good results. Thanks for teh advice!

p.s. that picture is #6, not #5 :burnout:

FrankeSVT

Enthusiast
Established Member
Very nice pics. I like those entering the light pictures as well. That car is absolutely gorgeous! One of my favorites on this site.

dirty89LX

Established Member
I thought it was done to pick up the details that one exposure would miss because they'll come out either too bright or too dark. Either way I used that trick on some shots of my friends' cars I took yesterday and made it way less dramatic than the re-edit you did for me, and I think it had some good results. Thanks for teh advice!

I think the best way to use HDR to create real images is to have multiple layers with various masks, and perhaps one of those layers is an HDR image.

For instance, I took a photo of my friend's corvette, but realized the Fikse wheels weren't showing up well enough in the foreground. So I created a three-exposure HDR image of the entire scene and placed it as a file with the MIDDLE exposed non-HDR image. In simplest terms, I used the wheels from the HDR layer, blending them in to the non-HDR image, so I now had a "normal" looking car with normal, non-hdr looking paint, etc. Only now, the wheels are exposed properly.

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
Not a big fan of HDR.

Seems like a quick solution to not properly learning how to expose a photo with your camera.

Nice car though.

bubbrubb

Not a big fan of HDR.

Seems like a quick solution to not properly learning how to expose a photo with your camera.

Nice car though.

Thank you for your insightful contribution :lol1:

If you try to make an HDR (from jpeg) without the proper exposure, it comes out worse. Try it for yourself, I have.

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
Thank you for your insightful contribution :lol1:

If you try to make an HDR (from jpeg) without the proper exposure, it comes out worse. Try it for yourself, I have.

I'd rather just see a properly exposed shot with a centered histogram. I'm just not one for HDR or a lot of post processing work. I'd rather see the skills of the photographer...not the editor :beer:

Terrminatted

Turtle Man
Established Member
Pictures look great! What kinda springs are you running? I'm looking at getting some and yours look perfect!

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
XR4Turbo, you need to get your sensor cleaned bro!

I know! Although I think that was just something on the lens, because it hasn't showed up since.

Thats what I was trying to say. It sort of averages out the value of the pictures so everything becomes exposed to the point where you can see it. Idk its hard to explain what I'm trying to say. :lol:

Last edited:

bubbrubb

I'd rather just see a properly exposed shot with a centered histogram. I'm just not one for HDR or a lot of post processing work. I'd rather see the skills of the photographer...not the editor :beer:
I see what you're saying. I've never really looked at the histograms before, although I just looked at a few of them and this is what I took out of it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to know what you're talking about.

In a parking garage like this there is an awful lot of different light sources and light levels, which I'm guessing helped contribute to what I was seeing. In my completely unedited shots, the histograms were very broad and had a number of peaks all the way across it. The HDRs had a large broad peak that was much more centered, albeit to the left (as I purposely edited them to give them a bit more of a mean/sinister look to them). Across the board, the HDRs gave a more 'ideal' histogram by definition, despite the irregularities in the lighting in that garage.

i saved all of them. i have new background material
PM me if you want the higher resolutions :beer:
Pictures look great! What kinda springs are you running? I'm looking at getting some and yours look perfect!
Cut stocks :beer:
Thats what I was trying to say. It sort of averages out the value of the pictures so everything becomes exposed to the point where you can see it. Idk its hard to explain what I'm trying to say. :lol:
haha, yeah I get what you're saying now. All that histogram mumbo jumbo kinda reinforces what you just said (if I'm reading them right that is lol)
sick pics!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread