pics of my weekend carnage

JDsfastGN

Established Member
just curious what everybody thought of this. Last night on a 12-13 psi launch i broke the rear. It felt like my best 60 ft yet (probably mid to high 1.50) and i got about 20 ft out when i heard what felt like a shotgun blast in the backseat and couldn't really go anywhere. Heres the carnage. i thought 8.5" 10 bolts were supposed to be strong lol :rockon:
broken%20rear%201.JPG

broken%20rear%202.JPG
broken%20rear%203.JPG

broken%20rear%204.JPG

83 5oh

Wait, Wait...Thats a Cat?
Established Member
DAAAAYYYYYYUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMM !!!!!!!

It'll make a great trophy piece. When people ask what happened you can say The car wanted something better...

muhtalicbloo

Established Member
dayum that sux....but i guess that's why most serious competitors regardless of make (ford, gm, mopar) go w/ ford rear ends.............but when somebody tells you that they're supposed to be strong...well lets just say how do they know cuz they've never broken one yet there will always be a need for something stronger....just like the "unbreakable" level 5 half shafts lol....they were...for ...a ...while....until someone broke'm and they made them stronger lol..............but like ne thing...if you're gonna **** it up you better **** it up good....so i say you more than exceeded.....i woulda love to have seen your face when you heard that rear blow lol!

JDsfastGN

Established Member
well the GM 10 bolt in 7.5" form in the fbodies is crap, but the 8.5s have always been a pretty good rear end and i have plenty of GN friends running low 11s or quicker on stock rears.... i think my car was a friday car as it seems to break the most random stuff that shouldnt break. But it is a very strong rearend and has put up with over 110 passes most in the 1.6-1.7 range and a few dipping into the high 1.50s.

Last edited:

muhtalicbloo

Established Member
sweet....ah yes the 8.5's....you WERE in the same position i was in w/ an 8" til it was probably two launches shy of forcing me to go to a 9" hehe

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
tan&termin8rlvr said:
WHAT THE HELL IS A FERD??? YOUR A FERD!
LOL the irony of calling him out on the spelling mistake, while at the same time, using the wrong tense...lol jk. Damn you killed that one real nice. Time for newer and better right? :D

JDsfastGN

Established Member
thanks guys, just wanted to post that up. I've seen some beat up rear ends but never one that looks like a grenade blew up inside the carrier. I really doubt the gears are still good, i guess now i need to decide if i want to stick with the 3.42 or go with something like a 3.23 (Gns seem to like the bigger load and it will help at the track getting the rpms down in the power band going through the traps.)

JDsfastGN

Established Member
Daves91coupe said:
I couldn't tell you how many GM rear ends I have seen do exactly that. Mostly 10 bolt though.

your talking about the 7.5" 10 bolts out of the fbodies im thinking..... the 8.5" 10 botls are almost as strong as a gm 12 bolt in most cases.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
JDsfastGN said:
your talking about the 7.5" 10 bolts out of the fbodies im thinking..... the 8.5" 10 botls are almost as strong as a gm 12 bolt in most cases.

...time for a 12 bolt!

Well, like daddy always said: "If you can drive it off the track, you weren't trying hard enough." At least you have the satisfaction of knowing where the weak link WAS...

eh, just use some JB weld and it'll be as good as new! :D

Users who are viewing this thread