Please help!!! 3rd gear issue

04mysticvert

Established Member
Background:

Transmission was professionally built by a company out of Texas to hold 800hp. I purchased the trans from a member on here, worked amazing after install. I put the car in storage around September of last year and brought it out last week. (The trans may have 3,000 miles on it since installation) After driving maybe 6 miles, the trans would no longer shift into 3rd. I could place the shifter into the 3rd gear position, but as soon as I began to disengage the clutch, a loud grinding noise began to happen. I contacted the previous owner and he said something about the synchronizer maybe out of place. Is there a way to fix this, re-align the synchronizer without pulling the trans?

bubblehead93

Established Member
How spirited was your 6 miles of driving? Is the transmission going into third or not? You say the third gear position, but is it actually getting into gear? If you had the clutch pushed in and it ground as you tried to engage thrid then I would say synchros. But if you are getting it into third and it grinds when you let off the clutch, probably not the 3-4 synchro assembly. Sounds like a gear issue... however, if any of the keys in the 3-4 synchro assembly are damaged, it could be binding up the synchro assembly so that it does not fully engage thrid (but feels like it does) so that when you let off the clutch it grinds... Either way, to figure it out, need to pull the tranny to sort it all out... For the record, if the tranny was built for 800 hp it should have billet keys in 3-4. Good luck, let us know what you find...

04mysticvert

Established Member
I was taking it really easy as the car had not been driven for a while. The trans goes into third, but once I lift off the clutch, it grinds and kicks out of gear..... Will keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread