Plug wasn"t tight...

go2cdmb

Established Member
I bought my car recently and pulled the plugs that the guy had in there and the were zex 3 strappers. I was told that they are a no no. Anyways, tr7ix's went in. When I was pullin his out, the second from the front drivers side which I believe to be 4 wasn't even in tight! I barely had to turn it to get it going. The others were tight and had a nice hold with a "crack" when taking them out, kind of like you get when "breaking" lug nuts on the ground before you raise a car up... That plug had burn marks and carbon on the ceramic. Is that blow by? What would that do? Any lasting effects?

Basically what I'm most wondering is... I saw while I searched the boards here that there have been issues with plugs backing there waqy out. What causes this?

I put the tr7ix's in yesterday and ran em, then took a couple out this morning, one being that spot to make sure all was well. Well, it was tight, but they kind of look funny and have vertical striping on the groungd straps... Here are some pics... Thanks for the help in advance fellas...

Of course the old plug in position 4.
IMG_4629.gif

And 4 pics of the mew plugs after a little hard driving...

IMG_4630.gif

IMG_4631.gif

IMG_4632.gif

IMG_4635.gif

Last edited:

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
Well if its an 03' there are only like 3 threads on the head so if it were put in loosely to begin with it could back itself out.

metaman

Established Member
If the new plug went in fine then you are good. They wont back their way out if installed properly. Not sure on the vertical stripes on the plugs. If the car runs fine then just put them back in and don't worry about it.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
If the new plug went in fine then you are good. They wont back their way out if installed properly.
That's not necessarily true, my cylinder 7 plug backed out for reasons described in numerous threads on this site, HEAT and lack of threads in the head. The plug was tightened correctly so I'm not blaming myself since I've heard this countless times by other SVT'ers on here!
So if you feel a strange misfire check your plugs SOONER rather than later!

go2cdmb

Established Member
Thanks fellas. That is blow by then? Will it harm anything?

I was told by the Ford master tech that the striping is very normal, and just the nature of the plug. I've had no issues with any backing out. It must've not been put in right to begin with. Plus, I did a compression test, just 'cause I didn't do one yet, and all is GREAT. Thanks guys

HIPSI

Established Member
Just for your info that was #6 plug 1,2,3,4 on pass side starting from front 5,6,7,8 on driver side starting from front good luck hope you have no problems

vr4

Established Member
no antiseize on spark plugs. yes that was cyl 6. most likely wasnt torqued properly

Users who are viewing this thread