poping noise

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
popping noise

ok i am going to change out my rotors and brake pads tomarrow but at the same time i wanna address another problem i been hearing a popping noise when i slowly turn my stering wheel it is like a craking poping noise what could it be what part is going bad any help iis apriciated thanks in advance........

Last edited:

909cobra

Established Member
image.php
this is under your boot on your rack and pinion.

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
whats the reason this things go out aldo any other parts i might as well replace while am in there or something how hard is it to change

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I was thinking ball joints... ive had a few mustangs with the pop sound...

How many miles are on the car?

Toasty

Established Member
If the noise is your inner tie rods,. look at buying a remanufactured rack and pinion as they often come with new inner tie rods and arent much extra money than buying the two inner tie rods separately.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I have a popping noise as well..but it only occurs while I am backing my car up [wheel cranked and at slow speeds]

I just swapped steering racks so its not my inner tie rods..but my ball joints are SHOT..so that is probably what it is for me

just letting the OP know that it could be the ball joints and not the inner tie rods.

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
how much do the racks go for and the car has 65 k miles on it any pricing on the inner ties rods i guess i will add ball joints to the list as well

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I just changed both wheel hub assemblies, installed bumpsteer kit, and new steeda balljoints. And I still have the popping when i back up. All I have left to change is the inner tie rod LOL.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
when I did coilovers they said based on my drop height it would likey make that noise and shure enough it does on a tight turn, any suspension work done to it?

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
when I did coilovers they said based on my drop height it would likey make that noise and shure enough it does on a tight turn, any suspension work done to it?

well i do have suspension mods just dont know what xactly ii bought it droped already but it didnt do the noise before ama get ball joints and see what happens from there or the tie rods too i dont know which ever is cheaper lol

Users who are viewing this thread