possible new product. custom road race style hood vents!!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
If these were louvered to provide an enhanced additional pull of vacuum at each of the slots as the air flows over the hood I just might be down for a set.

Have you thought about a re-design with a raised leading edge?
It would involve pressing a version of the cutout plate onto a form which raises a nice sloped lip.
This accelerates the air over the opening and increases the effectiveness and the amount of air pulled out of the vents. My understanding is the increase is NOT a small amount.

Or you could still offer the regular ones and just have a HARD CORE version available which would go through another step in the manufacturing process, for the raised lips.(I think:-D)

This would give a greater pressure drop under hood and pulls more air through the rad. Same idea, just more air removed.

PM me if you need this idea removed from here.:beer:

thanks for your input jimmy. in the future, if we go through with this, i will definitely hit you up for some design input :beer:

Me too.

Actually, i was googling custom louvers and i found YOUR product Steve!! :D

So, if you do something like :

IMG_4020Large.jpg

but the size of the ones in this thread. I will send you the money TODAY. :rockon:

that would be easy for us to do lol :thumbsup:

As stated before, it's necessary to stay within the window of low pressure in order to maintain the functionality of heat extraction. The further you head towards the base of the windshield, the higher the pressure. A gurney flap or raised leading edge will increase the low pressure region. High pressure will force air IN not out, reversing the the advantage of a heat extraction hood. The original design on the first pages is dangerously close, if not crossing the edge, of non-functionality.

If you're serious about producing these, I wouldn't go in it half donkey. Do some string tests, play with different designs and make sure you are improving heat extraction, not just the raw race car look. If you can make a template (for cutting) + plates for cheap that install on a stock hood that will dramatically improve heat extraction on a stock '03-'04, I think you'll find a huge market. Low-buck cooling solutions that actually cool the engine (instead of claim to cool the engine) will be a positively received.

well that's the thing, we can do a bunch of designing and testing and then sell them for a reasonable price. i know for a fact we're not going to sell a lot of these because the majority of terminator owners are not going to cut up their hoods lol. i dont think i would! so we have to theorize it and do the best we can in the designing of it. it sounds like you know what you're talking about and i would definitely invite you in on the discussion of the design if you'd be interested.

i talked to my guy about this today and told him the original ones were made from thin sheet metal and he said no problem. no problem in billet as well except then the price would likely go up quite a bit. as would weight. another advantage of the thin sheetmetal is the ability to conform them to the hood. the thicker the material the more difficult this is.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With Fore Precision Works no longer making billet hood vents, I would just have to believe that a quality billet set similar to the FPW design would sell. Could they be priced at or near where FPW was selling them at?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Me too.

Actually, i was googling custom louvers and i found YOUR product Steve!! :D

So, if you do something like :

IMG_4020Large.jpg

but the size of the ones in this thread. I will send you the money TODAY. :rockon:

I'm in for a set like this as well. I would prefer the sheet metal, personally to keep them light. You get them louvered, I think you will have a lot of business from the OT community as a lot of us are waiting for the hinged tiger racing hood to come out. Although at this time we have NO IDEA when that will be.

Last edited:

NJredfire03

Established Member
I think these would look great powder coated in the color you want, and functional is even better. but what do I know.

zincslowbra

Established Member
Def. sick looking, i think a car would need tint and a certain style of rims to balance the look like with rivets or screws. On a stock cobra its not balanced in my opinion

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
I absolutely dig this vent set-up. Where is the "add to cart" button for these bad boys.

One advantage I have is my best friend owns a body ship with a great reputation for this kind of work. They have done full restorations on countless hot rods and could knock this out in a few hours.

Please keep this post alive so I may have the opportunity to purchase these...

Thanks!

BlackStripes

Established Member
I'm in for a set like this as well. I would prefer the sheet metal, personally to keep them light. You get them louvered, I think you will have a lot of business from the OT community as a lot of us are waiting for the hinged tiger racing hood to come out. Although at this time we have NO IDEA when that will be.

Exactly.... the point is that we all know that Tiger racing's hood is the best but is $$$$ so, since the cobra hoods have the recess area after the heat extraction we only need to add the Louvre after it so it works like :

DSC02414.jpg

I personally am thinking in getting a knock off 03/04 hood for $300 and keep mine in my basement lol .

Users who are viewing this thread