power diff b/w 2.25 and 3.0 in exhaust

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
Does anybody have an idea how much of a difference in power can be picked up by going three in diameter vs stock diameter. I was thinking of just taking out the cats and swicthing the mufflers but maybe the difference in power gained will lure me to going 3 in all around. The Boss is stock right now and besides exhuast the only thing i plan on doing is tuning the car with a air filter. Bigger plans later towards the end of the year.

Thanks everyone for your future input on this topic.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
The stock exhaust is 2 3/4 i believe, however the resonators neck down to 2in. Internal diameter. Also i think the factory mid pipe necks down alittle to.

Bosses have been known to pickup 30 to 40 rwhp with longtubes and 3in mid section.

The ported heads love the breath.

If you're getting cat deletes do not get bbk, they leak and they are developing a revision on them.
You also need a aftermarket tune Or you will get a engine light.

Enjoy listening to hours and hours of exhaust clips to pick out the system that you like.

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
Im going to get the Steeda cat deletes not BBK. Will the car drive normal without the tune? I have to get my SCT re-flashed and than tuned, its still registered to my 10 shelby i use to have. I probably will be sticking to flowmasters tho, ive always liked them.

Thanks!

86Fbody

Established Member
Im going to get the Steeda cat deletes not BBK. Will the car drive normal without the tune? I have to get my SCT re-flashed and than tuned, its still registered to my 10 shelby i use to have. I probably will be sticking to flowmasters tho, ive always liked them.

Thanks!

It will probably drive fine without a tune but it will certainly throw a code. Apparently the ECU is super smart, since people can put LT headers on and have it pick up HP without a tune.

Users who are viewing this thread