prelude...possible nitrous?

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
The other day i came upon this prelude(99 or so) with wheels and exhaust(other mods unknown) he turned out in front of me and was burning his tires so i knew he was going to want to go.
as i rolled up to him he looked over at me and downshifted into second at a about 40....then mashed it, i let him jump and then i pulled about a half car on him but he hung with me. we only went for a short burst....i just shifted into 3rd when he missed what i assume was 4th gear.

.....i just couldnt belive it hung with me even that good? Im confident i woulda started pulling hard through 3rd gear. the 40 roll is crap in my truck but my friend has same style prelude and we did some 40 rolls when i was stock and just walked him.

I am pretty sure the car didnt have a turbo or supercharger it sounded N/A as all hell........I think he coulda been spray'n ?

lil info on my truck... I went 13.2 before i got my ported blower and catless mids so i guess it should be good for a high 12...

17yrsofcollege

...Ohhh Boy
Established Member
I had a 98 prelude back in the day. I ran a 15.1 with bald tires all stock 5spd. I also burried the speedo on that thing ( it said just over 145mph ) ... yes I know speedos can be off, but it was pretty damn fast on the top end.

mr2cam

Established Member
I'm betting that he was spraying, my friends catback only Lightning murdered a bolt on 97 Prelude SH from a roll.

cthunder

Established Member
With the agression towards H22A's in civic hatches I wouldnt be surprised if you ran into a built N/A. You can raise those badboys up to 13:1 before having issues on pump gas.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
^I agree.

I have been seeing some impressive NA Preludes lately as well. You have to remember that your heavy automatic truck was racing a much lighter manual car from a ROLL. I remember my Lightning getting ate up plenty of times from roll races against 5speed/6speed cars. If it wasnt a built NA car, then I would have to assume it had a shot to hang with you.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
are u kidding me preludes n/a even built are stuck in the 13's, there heavy for hondas, only way a n/a honda is fast is a gutted light 2,000 lb hatch / civic or s2000, the preludes are 2-3k+ in weight, my friend has a built japan jdm h22a with cams, full exaust and hes a good driver, the best he could do is 14.5@96, bone stock he was in the 15.80's in his 98 prelude, i mean stock there only 150-200 crank hp .even after the jdm h22a aftermarket motor with ported manifold, cams, headwork, header, exaust, and tires he was still in the 170-200fwhp range max, preludes are slow unless, u do alot of work / money and make them light like a civic / hatch, or do turbo , otherwise supercharger / n/a on a prelude is junk ur stuck in the 13's-15's . the prelude prob just had the upperhand cause it was from a roll and ur auto, and im sure he had mods. doesnt sound right though...

and this is coming from a honda prelude owner/ honda lover, the kid with the prelude even said n/a or supercharged is alot of money and u cant get out of the 13's, but if u do h22a swap built into a hatch or a kseries motor n/a thats the only way to run fast n/a on a honda. turbo is the way to go on a 4 cylinder / honda.

Last edited:

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
are u kidding me preludes n/a even built are stuck in the 13's, there heavy for hondas, only way a n/a honda is fast is a gutted light 2,000 lb hatch / civic or s2000, the preludes are 2-3k+ in weight, my friend has a built japana jdm h22a with cams, full exaust and hes a good driver, the best he could do is 14.5@96, bone stock he was in the 15.80's in his 98 prelude, i mean stock there only 150-200 crank hp .even after the jdm h22a aftermarket motor with ported manifold, cams, headwork, header, exaust, and tires he was still in the 170-200fwhp range max, preludes are slow unless, u do alot of work / money and make them light like a civic / hatch, or do turbo , otherwise supercharger / n/a on a prelude is junk ur stuck in the 13's-15's . the prelude prob just had the upperhand cause it was from a roll and ur auto, and im sure he had mods. doesnt sound right though...

and this is coming from a honda prelude owner/ honda lover, the kid with the prelude even said n/a or supercharged is alot of money and u cant get out of the 13's, but if u do h22a swap built into a hatch or a kseries motor n/a thats the only way to run fast n/a on a honda. turbo is the way to go on a 4 cylinder / honda.

amen! your exactly right....

-coming from another previous honda owner!

wma8706

Established Member
yea those K20's are no joke. seen NA hondas running 12's and a built turbo one will easily run with some of the faster V-8 american muscle.

drex

Off The Line
Established Member
Either way good kill, when I had my Lightning rolls were the worst races for me. But mine wasnt runnin in the 12s either.

SpdPilot

Established Member
Around here the big thing is to buy a old junky Prelude or civics, gut the crap out of it, lower it, put on some basic motor mods, a good clutch, some good drag tires, and toss on HUGE shots of nitrous. Spray paint the grey, use stock black wheels. If they Nade the motor or get the car inpounded, they don't care. They have total investment of about $2500 and they can rebuild engines for about $800. They run low 13's to high 12's all day long and are total sleepers on the street because they look cheap.

Everyone talks about the K motors, but few make the investment. These are the nicer honda's you see on the street.

It's the ugly beat up ones that will get you.

Users who are viewing this thread