Pro Touring 1979 Pace Car build

95riosnake

Established Member
Looks great! The iPad is such a good idea, why mess around with a head unit when they do so much more. The frame notches look very professional, I like the built-in bump stops.

I'm assuming you're going to make some super trick-looking shifter bezel?

My suggestion for the temporary fix to the console would involve some satin black on the sides and orange/red pin stripes to break it all up. It would only cost you a few bucks in paint and some time with masking tape.

console1n.jpg

console2.jpg

console3n.jpg

^^Three ideas I came up with, I like the first idea the least.

You could also spray it all satin black.

Last edited:

69clark

Established Member
Update:

So I didn't get as much done as I wanted this weekend, but I did get a few things done.

First I reinstalled the exhaust and get it adjusted perfectedly. For the side you can see that the pipes don't hang below the subframe connectors, just the way it should be.
interior_1979pacecar002.jpg

The next project was to get the floor put back in the car. I decided that I would build a steel frame and then have removable aluminum panels rather then just welding in a steel floor. So we'll see how this works out. So one thing you'll notice is the floor is an inch higher than stock. This was for two reasons, first is because at parked height the rearend needs a little extra room to keep from hitting the floor. Second I took the extra room mounted the fuel cell higher, to keep less of it from sticking out the bottom of the rear bumper.

Some of these pics are in-progress pics.
interior_1979pacecar031.jpg

interior_1979pacecar017.jpg

Pics from below.
interior_1979pacecar010.jpg

interior_1979pacecar055.jpg

interior_1979pacecar061.jpg

Then once the panels were all fastened in and everthing seem sealed, I broke out the FatMat (Dynamat knock-off). Because the panels are made to be removable, once I got the FatMat down I cut a small hole for each bolt head. Suddenly because there is so much light reflection the camera started taking weird pics (usually it is too dark in the garage for pics, now when there is light the camera messes up, LOL).

interior_1979pacecar071.jpg

interior_1979pacecar068.jpg

interior_1979pacecar077.jpg

It is a sad day to finally have to cut up the custom upholstered interior panels, but it had to be done. So here is the start of that project. I should get this one finished and the drives side finished, then I can start working on the custom box that will hide it all, so bare with me here.
interior_1979pacecar080.jpg

raw23062

Established Member
Absolutely spot on. Fantastic work. Going to be just an amazing car and sure to grace some magazines. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

69clark

Established Member
So the big update.

1. The wheels and tires have shipped and they will be here next week.

2. The rearend is fighting us the whole way. Still not done and I don't have a date when it will be done (this is now becomeing a problem). I can't finish plumbing and setting up my brakes until it is done either.

3. The audio equipment started rolling in this week so we can start finishing up the interior. I will get pics of the equipment in a few day.

(so far all the hold ups on this project this winter have been when I have been relying on other people! I have kept up my end of the deal and on time. The wheels and the rearend are and have been the hold up. With only two weeks to Carlisle I am still waiting on the same damn things, THE REAREND AND THE WHEELS. Needless to say when and if I do get everything in time it will leave me no time to get some test/break in miles on the car before my 5 hour trip to Carlisle. So I am a little ticked at everyones elses inability to make things happen.)

Last edited:

MountainDew

Do the Dew!
Established Member
So the big update.

1. The wheels and tires have shipped and they will be here next week.

2. The rearend is fighting us the whole way. Still not done and I don't have a date when it will be done (this is now becomeing a problem). I can't finish plumbing and setting up my brakes until it is done either.

3. The audio equipment started rolling in this week so we can start finishing up the interior. I will get pics of the equipment in a few day.

(so far all the hold ups on this project this winter have been when I have been relying on other people! I have kept up my end of the deal and on time. The wheels and the rearend are and have been the hold up. With only two weeks to Carlisle I am still waiting on the same damn things, THE REAREND AND THE WHEELS. Needless to say when and if I do get everything in time it will leave me no time to get some test/break in miles on the car before my 5 hour trip to Carlisle. So I am a little ticked at everyones elses inability to make things happen.)

Sorry to hear that man, hopefully everything gets sorted out in no time for you. Are you planning on driving it up there or trailering the car?

69clark

Established Member
Sorry to hear that man, hopefully everything gets sorted out in no time for you. Are you planning on driving it up there or trailering the car?

It will work out in the end, its just been a three month struggle to get everyone else to commit.

As far as driving or trailering, lets put it this way. "If it can't drive there under its own power, it ain'g going there." I haven't put all this work to load it on a trailer and tote it around.

Well that and my broke ass doesn't own a trailer so I guess its easy to say the above stuff, LOL.

95riosnake

Established Member
As far as driving or trailering, lets put it this way. "If it can't drive there under its own power, it ain'g going there." I haven't put all this work to load it on a trailer and tote it around.

Well that and my broke ass doesn't own a trailer so I guess its easy to say the above stuff, LOL.

+1, unless a car is a track-only, not street legal car... it should be driven, not trailered IMO.

(hence why we all give Troy shit at Carlisle every year right? :-D)

Last edited:

mckpat03

Diesel FTW
Established Member
Sucks that you've had the on going hiccups with this. I really hope you get it done. I'd love to see this thing in person.

95rio, you gonna be there with your car? I'd love to see it in person, as well.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
That is sex. I am doing my coupe in a similar fashion, except I am keeping my 10 holes. I love your car.

Users who are viewing this thread