Problems with the stang, any ideas?

2002stanggt

Established Member
Ok so the other day when my car was in park or stopped at a light (not moving at all) my rpms were dying and it was like the car wanted to die. 2 days later it's not doing that anymore but my air fuel gauge is all over the place, when at a stop it is completely lean when lightly accelerated it goes completely to rich. It never did this b4. It used to go completely rich when I hammered it (full acceleration) and never went lean (at least only for a second) anyone have any ideas what this could be, the car is running fine now but I think I hear a air leak coming from somewhere but can't find it, but it may be the pullies squeaking! Ugh I hate cars lol

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I figured this may be a GT related question, so thought I'd come in to help lol.

I'd say try cleaning your mass air meter. Sometimes the sensor can get dirty and throw off your readings, making the car run rich or lean. Also could be your 02 sensors going bad. Change your fuel filter recently? Could be that too. Anything with air or fuel could be the culprit.

You said you hear a leak? Do you have any aftermarket intake parts? My JLT intake tube got a big crack in it where the two PVC pipes were glued together. I've also seen aftermarket filters tear around the silicone coupler part. Check over everything in the air or fuel delivery systems until you find the problem. Start simple, then get more intricate.

1fastredcobra

Established Member
I've had my fuel rail pressure regulator go bad with the same intermittent symtoms you describe. The car would run fine one minute and the next run crappy or not at all. The maddening part was I had to wait for the car to die before the problem could be diagnosed. Might be worth a try to replace it.

2002stanggt

Established Member
Turned out to be a really bad vacuum leak. Huge rip! It's all fixed now and running like new hazaaaa! :banana: ANd it didn't cost me anything (it's always nice having a mechanic friend)

Users who are viewing this thread