Project Shake&Bake - The winter edition

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Weather was great today, so was able to finish up the lower intake. Over the past few days, I had been working to clean up all the ports.

dirtyports1.JPG

dirtyports2.JPG

From the factory each port had some level of casting poo(that's the nontechnical term;-)) Running your finger in each port you could feel it.

So working with 80 grit sand paper and a Dremel I went to work. I wasn't looking to make each port perfect, but rather smooth out/clean as much as possible. Once I was done it was clear what a huge difference not only in appearance – but to the touch how clean and smooth they have become.

cleaned-polished.JPG

cleaned-polished2.JPG

cleaned-polished3.JPG

Performance advantage - who knows but have to think the air will move threw these a bit easier now.

I then spent time sanding the outside of the lower. I figured this would help the paint lay more consistent and smooth. Once I felt I had it smoothed out as far as I could get it, I masked the lower up and went outside and shot 2 coats of self etching primer.

primed.JPG

Once the primer had dried, I shot it with some gloss black engine enamel. Really happy with the results. I wasn't sure sanding the outside would make much of a difference to the finish, but man it really did. Smooth as a babies butt.

painted-lower.JPG

painted-lower2.JPG

Now even though the lower intake is pretty much hidden when the engine is all bolted up, you do see hints of it. Overall I think it will look great and go well with my powder coated black alternator.

Next up is the Alt bracket. Since I did the coil on plug conversion, no need for those ugly holes on the top.

alt-bracket.JPG

Plan is to fill the unneeded holes with JB Weld, smooth then paint.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Been awhile but I finally have an update to my build project. Like so many others before me, my project changed a bit :). A opportunity presented itself to have the motor pulled and built, so I took it. I had the Cobra shipped off to Swarr auto who built up my Teksid block with Manley forged rods and pistons. We also added a Milodon oil pump, Canton Street/Stripe oil pan to get some more oil flowing inside the engine since I'm not running a intercooler. And it just seemed like a good idea while the engine was out. Full ARP hardware as well as new Ford Racing chains/guides installed. Forging the motor wasn't in the original plan but glad I spent the coin and did it. Now every time I stomp on the go pedal i will not have to worry about bending a rod or punching a hole thru the side of my block. Next I sent out my T45 to Halon Motorsports to have him build up the tranny. A 26 spline was added as well as stronger gears and supporting internal parts. It can easily handle the power I'm putting down and feels beefier now when shifting.

Super happy with the work of Swarr Auto. Not one scratch to the engine bay and everything installed nice and clean. After putting on the break-in mileage the Cobra was tuned and dyno'd at 445 to the wheels @ 9.5 pounds of boost :rockon: I originally expected around 425-430 to the wheels, so this was a nice surprise. To say the Cobra is a different animal is an understatement lol. Pulls hard and sounds wicked. Very happy with the Vortech V3...love the sweet whistling sound it makes. Pics of the completed engine bay and dyno results below.

shake-engine-shot.JPG

custom-plaque.jpg

engine-stand.JPG

dyno-photo.JPG

dyno-FullSizeRender.jpg

cobra-dyno.JPG

Hoping the weather continues to stay nice so I can enjoy my new found horsepower and snap some new exterior shots :rolling:

Last edited:

whyxitx

Established Member
Will you PM me how much your forged block ended up costing you in the end? Debating on pulling the trigger on getting mine done while it's out..

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Nice results! You've put together a great setup that should run well for a long time!

When did you pick up the black Saleens? What happened to the BBS's?

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Nice results! You've put together a great setup that should run well for a long time!

When did you pick up the black Saleens? What happened to the BBS's?

Thanks Tabres - its a fun street machine and super happy with it. LOL, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask me about the BBS wheels. Its kind of like having a favorite shirt and wearing it everyday...then one day you are over it. They had value so I rolled that money i made from the sale of the wheels into the forging of my motor.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Thanks Tabres - its a fun street machine and super happy with it. LOL, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask me about the BBS wheels. Its kind of like having a favorite shirt and wearing it everyday...then one day you are over it. They had value so I rolled that money i made from the sale of the wheels into the forging of my motor.

I can definitely relate to that. I've been over my chrome Saleens for quite some time now. I've just been bleeding money into the car in so many other higher priority areas for so long that I haven't had the budget to switch out the wheels.

Fwiw, the black Saleens look outstanding. They give a totally different look to the car that I completely dig :coolman:

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Fwiw, the black Saleens look outstanding. They give a totally different look to the car that I completely dig :coolman:

Thanks bud - I dig them and agree gives it a different attitude. Maybe one day I will invest in some HRE wheels. But next I would like to get an intercooler and k member. Here's the most recent exterior shot. Trying to decide between silver and red hash stripes.
shake-cobra-side.jpg

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Had a couple of PM's asking about the sound of the Vortech V3 at idle. So made a quick video of the Cobra at idle as well as giving it a little throttle.

[video=youtube_share;SfxhKDCoXCY]http://youtu.be/SfxhKDCoXCY[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread