Proper brake fluid for 03 Cobras

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
You may remember my old post about having braking problems("Desparately seeking stop"). Well, I've come along way since then and the braking is better, but still not where it was new. I have new OEM front pads and have bled/replaced the current fluid at least twice but there is still some "softness". A recent panic stop from about 40 yeilded a brake pedal that damn near went to the floor. Yes, I stopped, but I didn't stop with too much authority. About an hour later, I tried some full-on stops from about 50 to get some better info from the brakes, and the "softness" was not there. Instead, it had the high initial bite that I personally like as well as the way it was new. I did the full stop twice and the results were the same. Throw me some opinions. Here's what I can tell you.
New OEM front pads. They are Bendix and I was told they are the required replacement for this car. Should I be using something else?
The fluid changes eliminated the air in the lines as air was a past problem I had. I used off the shelf Mobil 1 DOT3&4. Should I be using something else? Something better maybe?
Until the panic stop, I hadn't driven the car in several weeks(ok, a LOT of weeks). Did the brakes just need some heat up time to get back to normal? There is a good layer of dust on the body.
Since all this work was done, the rear wheels dust up before the front, much like when the car was new. But the whoa still just isn't like it used to be. Help me out if can. Thanks again.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Braided stainless brake hoses will give you a firmer pedal, all other things being the same. The pedal nearly goes to the floor due to the flex in the factory brake hoses and the calipers themselves flexing. Upgrading to the 00R Brembo four pot fixed caliper will give you a pedal with still more firmness.

Your brake fluid is fine. It matters more that its fresh and a compatible DOT number, than what brand it is.

And yes, brakes work better when warmed up. Like anything else on a car.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Yea, that's about along the lines of what I was thinking, but I didn't know if the 03 Cobra had a specific brake fluid called for other than normal off the shelf stuff. I've been wanting to do the 00R upgrade but still been on the fence as to whether it would really give that much better performance on the street as it's a track setup. Maybe I'll still do that upgrade afterall.
So per your opinion, I guess I'll just chalk this up to the car not having been driven in a while. Not further than a gas station in three months does kind of loosen things up.
And you may have schnauzer power, but I have Chihuahua FURY!!! Dancin' 'naner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread