Question about driving habit with 500rwhp???

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
I've been curious for awhile now about driving around my daily driver with 500+rwhp. Is it safe to be just cruising steady around 70 mph for a long period of time? What about 80 mph? Just wondering since every once in awhile I have about a 45 minute drive, and was wondering about possibly damaging the motor at those cruising speeds with that much HP.

I know WOT runs for long periods of time have proven fatal to some motors so I was just curious about the above scenario?

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Mile-for-mile, cruising is the easiest on the engine. The motor does a minimal amount of work to sustain a constant speed...regardless of the max HP the engine makes.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
At those speeds at a sustained throttle opening... you are only making just enough horsepower to overcome the wind and roll resistance of your car....to maintain that speed.

So it's making about the same power and heat as my stocker...

Your WOT and even some of your part throttle(accelerating) however will leave my car in the dust...(and make more heat)

As I understand it...

EDIT--->OOPS... I'm a slow typer... What he said...

Last edited:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
You may run into trouble when doing a high speed run (ie 160mph plus), holding boost for a long period of time, generating max HP for a long period of time.

But as you see from most dyno graphs, cruising around town you lucky if your generating 300hp most of the time.

and cruising down the highway at 2500 rpm your making even less HP so its pretty easy on the motor.

i run near 600rwhp in a daily driver, highway and around town, but im hardly ever really creating that 600 number as there isnt anyway to pull through a full gear most of the time :)

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Thanks for all the replys guys, Just looking for peace of mind while cruising about 70-75 on the highway occasionally. Didn't think about it in that respect of not doing much work just cruising. Thanks again!!

stangfreak

Established Member
cruisin with 500rwhp? thats nothing man. your car will be FINE. think about it. your car is not in boost. the car is not always in boost. now if you were going around town nailing the car just to go to the store then yea, something will happen, even if the car was stock, but more suseptible to a car with more power, thats a no brainer.

enjoy the car man!!!

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
500rwhp...driving miss daisy!

ME TOO!!!!! Going on a full 3 years now with zero issues. It's not crusing speed that is tough on the motor, it is boost (WOT).

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I dont know about you guys, but I am a wuss. I literally see boost for a couple seconds every 40 miles or so. I just love puttering around knowing that there aren't many cars I'd ever run into that could touch me.....lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
sambandit said:
I dont know about you guys, but I am a wuss. I literally see boost for a couple seconds every 40 miles or so. I just love puttering around knowing that there aren't many cars I'd ever run into that could touch me.....lol
But Scott, how can you possibly resist NOT seeing boost every mile or so. I still remember what a rush it was to wind through the gears as the boost kicked in. I guess it reminded me so much of the old days when the secondaries would kick in. Only better. :pepper:

P.S. - I admire your will power. :lol1:

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
sambandit said:
says the guy with 650+ hp :lol1: i dont think someone would build such a machine if they didnt want to see boost :p

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Oh, I see boost when it's appropriate, but I also don't see any need to hack on my car. I also respect the fact that a set of rear tires are $700+..... My car without boost is faster than most other cars on the road.....lol

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
sambandit said:
I'm exactly the same way. Just dont see any reason to beat on the car all the time. I see WOT about 2-3 times a tank full.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Guys, obviously I have no experience with my 97 still being n/a'd, but I'd be more concerned with rpm's than I would boost. If you are cruising at around 2,500 rpm's, you're not gonna hurt the engine. As I recall that would be around the rpm's for 3.73 gears.

ZINC AND BLOWN

Established Member
RAZRS EDGE said:
I'm exactly the same way. Just dont see any reason to beat on the car all the time. I see WOT about 2-3 times a tank full.

same here.....and was the same way with my 600hp 69 Camaro

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
RAZRS EDGE said:

i'm the same way

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
I'm WOT at least twice a day, usually more, and it is driven 6 days a week.

Been doing this since 17k miles, it now has 36,700 and running fine *knock on wood* I should probably cut back on the WOT, but I don't think it's detrimental unless I am in it too long/builds too much heat. I don't ever do the 120+/5th gear pulls.

Users who are viewing this thread