Question: Garage ceiling height

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have trusses that run parallel to the car. My ceilings are 10 ft and myfloor goes 300x400 so i am not worried about the garage rails as I can put the car all the way to the back. my question is, can i cut 2-3 trusses and support them a different way so i can raise that part of the ceiling to 12 ft? has anyone tried this?

You just have to add appropriate cross bracing at a higher point on those trusses. Also, be sure to add all of the bracing prior to cutting anything, so you won't get any sagging in that area.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I will be constructing a pole barn this summer and installing a lift. Looks like it will be at least 12' ceilings. What are your opinions in regard to lifts? Any opinions or suggestions? Which one does the best job at reasonable cost?
Thanks, Ray H.

Fangz

Established Member
Bend Pak...

Quality, options, etc. 4 posts is great for my use as I wanted to be able to drive up it every time I bring the car home. Disadvantage is you still need to get the car on jack stands to do suspension work. I don't do enough to justify $1200 on a jack option (which solves this easily), but a couple of bottle jacks is all that's needed to get the car on jack stands. I have a 6" bottle to start with and 8" to get to jack stand height. Or I suppose a standard jack could work, which I've done before, if you don't mind hoofing it up to the lift (race jack would be ok). There is a bottle jack tray option, but you shouldn't need it with the Cobra. Recommend the XWide width 4-post lift if you can fit it and you have a single car side. Does not restrict the door opening at all (posts outside the garage door rails) for a standard single car door. If needed, the XWide version also allows 2 positions for the tire rails depending on what other cars/trucks you have.

Also...I got the added advantage of selling it to my wife for the additional parking spot. ;-)
Of course, she now has the double car side...

Other consideration is it is HEAVY. I did the install myself, but it took 3-4 of us to get the tire rails on. They are a full 300 lbs each and awkward to get in position. The rest is still heavy but 1-2 can do it. Advice...bring help.

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I will be constructing a pole barn this summer and installing a lift. Looks like it will be at least 12' ceilings. What are your opinions in regard to lifts? Any opinions or suggestions? Which one does the best job at reasonable cost?
Thanks, Ray H.

Another Bend Pak happy customer. I also built a pole barn planning for the same thing. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions, where to buy, etc.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
thanks for the advice. I didn't think about this when I asked the lift question but in fairness to kencobra I should have started a new thread. Didn't mean to hijack the original post. I will start a new thread and see what responce I get.
Thanks, Ray H.

Users who are viewing this thread